3D Movie Glasses Maker Realizes Kids Exist, Watch Movies

Someone over at 3D glasses manufacturer RealD must have sat next to a child during a 3D movie and grimaced as the little tyke strained to keep the too-big-and-heavy glasses on his nose for half an hour, then finally gave up and suffered through the rest of the film in blurry 2D. The company started making glasses that fit on kids’ faces.

The glasses debuted last weekend, just in time for Toy Story 3. I wish I’d known about the product before I opted for a 2D showing for my son and I. Then again, we probably would have just fogged up those glasses.

Parents, what do your kids think of the new child-sized spectacles?

RealD is Rolling Out Child-Sized 3D Glasses [RealD via High-Def Digest]

Comments

1. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Kids should use Monster 3D glasses.

2. UltimateOutsider says:

Great idea. You exactly described the experience we had at How To Train Your Dragon. My poor 4-year-old daughter simply couldn’t keep them on her face. She finished the second half of the film without glasses. My six-year-old son was fine, though, only because he’s got a percentile-busting basketball of a head.

3. KyleOrton says:

About time, the 14 month old in the front row of Avatar was miserable because of this.

4. Speak says:

Ok, now how about 3D glasses that fit over Real Glasses for adults?

5. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I just wish they didn’t make me pay $3-5 for the glasses every time, and then encourage me to “recycle” them after the movie. There are theaters that have them as intentional re-users, which don’t charge extra for the glasses (but still have a higher ticket price for the projector) … but the ones where I get the glasses in individually packaged sleeves?

I spent $3 on them. I keep them. I bring them next time … and I still have to pay for a new pair. :/

I have quite the collection of 3D glasses now. If I ever do a science project with polarized lenses, I’ll have plenty of raw materials. :D

• PencilSharp says:

And this is why I refuse to go to a fershlugginer 3-D anything at the movies. Sounds cool, but adds up quick: $7.00/ticket + $5.00 extra for 3-D + $4.00 extra for glasses… every… damn… TIME! That’s 64 bucks for a family of four! Hells, no. And I thought the concessionary was a gyp…

• DarksSideMoon says:

In reality you’re paying more for the extra cost of producing the movie in 3-d rather than the glasses themselves.

6. RokMartian says:

Took my 17 year old daughter to see it on saturday. The girl at the ticket booth charged me the kids price for her, probably due to the short stature of my daughter. (4’11”) However, she did hand me a kids sized pair of glasses for her, as well. They were really small – she could probably more ideal for the under 6 crowd.

7. touayang says:

Took my kids to go watch Toy Story 3 this past weekend and to my surprise, they had small 3D glasses. Cool but Toy Story 3 was not made for 3D. It had zero 3D effects. I was really disappointed.

• omatix says:

Er, what? It was all 3D. Just because it wasn’t yet another mid-nineties IMAX movie that tried to make you jump out of the way of an oncoming train doesn’t mean there were no “effects”.

• touayang says:

Well, yeah, that’s kind of what I was expecting. If something exploded, I was expecting the pieces to fly off the screen. The movie would have looked good in 2D. There really wasn’t a sense of depth with the 3D version, nothing really popped out at me and made me say “Wow, that was cool!”. If anyone has seen Terminator 2 3D or Shrek 4D at Universal Studios theme park, they know what talking about.

Toy Story 3D was only the third movie I’ve seen in Real3D. None of these 3D movies impressed me. Avatar was okay in 3D, probably the better of all the Real3D movies I’ve seen.

8. cupcake_ninja says:

Like kids. especially young ones, even keep glasses on anyway. Ever tried to get a kid to keep a pair of sunglasses on for 2 hours?

9. Chris P. says:

Here in Austin, back in I guess March, they had Real 3D kid sized glasses available, you just had to ask for them. Now, this was at the Alamo Drafthouse, which has incredibly competent staff. This was news to them that these were available – but I was sitting next to an engineer who worked on 3d imaging for a large microprocessor company, who was seeing the show with his daughter – he had a pair of the little buggers for her. I pointed them out, asked if they had any, and the waiter/usher went and asked about and found a couple of boxes, told everyone on the staff about them, and went and offered small glasses to all the kids in the theater.

Perhaps the issue is just communication?

10. Dr.Wang says:

I wish there was a national standard for polarized 3D glasses, so you can buy comfortable ones, or clip-ons, or kid sizes. But with so many non compatible lens types, you can’t. Washington DC, HELP! Give us a national standard.