38,700 Lbs. Of Ground Beef Recalled For Possible E. Coli Contamination

Yesterday, the Dept. of Agriculture’s Food Safety & Inspection Service announced two separate recalls — one in California and one in New York — totaling nearly 40,000 pounds of ground beef after learning that the batches of meat could have been contaminated with the E. coli bacteria.

Both recalls have are considered Class I hazards by FSIS, meaning “there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death.”

The bigger of the two recalls comes from California, where South Gate Meat Co., of South Gate, Calif., is recalling approximately 35,000 pounds of ground beef products.

The products subject to recall include:
* 20-, 30- and 40-pound bulk packages of “SOUTH GATE MEAT CO. GROUND BEEF.”
* 30-, 40-, and 50-pound bulk packages of “SOUTH GATE MEAT CO. COARSE GROUND BEEF.”
* 10- and 20-pound packages of “SOUTH GATE MEAT CO. GROUND BEEF PATTIES.”

Each package bears establishment number “EST. 6217″ inside the USDA mark of inspection. These ground beef products were produced between the dates of June 7, 2010, through June 21, 2010, and were shipped to restaurants in the Los Angeles and Orange County, Calif. area.

The New York recall accounts for 3,700 pounds of ground beef produced by Crown I Enterprises, Inc., of Bay Shore, N.Y.

The products subject to recall include:
* 24, 8-ounce burgers in 12-pound boxes of “W.B. STOCKYARD, KEEP REFRIGERATED, BURGER FRESH, WB HOME STYLE 8 OZ.”
* 32, 6-ounce burgers in 12-pound boxes of “W.B. STOCKYARD, KEEP REFRIGERATED, BURGER FRESH 6 OZ.”
* 48, 4-ounce burgers in 12-pound boxes of “W.B. STOCKYARD, KEEP REFRIGERATED, BURGER FRESH, 4 OZ.”
* 10-pound boxes of “W.B. STOCKYARD, KEEP REFRIGERATED, BEEF GROUND/EXTRA LEAN.”
* 10- and 20-pound boxes of “W.B. STOCKYARD, KEEP REFRIGERATED, BEEF GROUND 80/20.”

Each package bears establishment number “EST. 20889″ inside the USDA mark of inspection as well the Julian dates of “10164″ and “10166.” These ground beef products were produced on June 11, 2010, and June 15, 2010, and were shipped to food service institutions in Connecticut., N.J., and N.Y.

According to the FSIS, no reports of illness have been received as a result of either batch of recalled beef.

California Firm Recalls Ground Beef Products Due To Possible E. coli O157:H7 Contamination [FSIS]

New York Firm Recalls Ground Beef Products Due To Possible E. coli O157:H7 Contamination [FSIS]

Comments

1. n0th1ng says:

I am so glad I am a vegetarian and don’t have to worry about catching E.Coli in meat….oh wait I just got E.Coli in my freaking broccoli. .If I could I would grow all my own food, I wash my hands after I poop.

• Suisei says:

I was thinking along the same lines as my limit of ‘meat’ is poultry and shrimp, lobster, crab and fish. We all know that bacteria can grow on almost any food item. I think that most people do not have anything to worry about as long as the food is prepared properly, its these freaks that enjoy their meat rare that should be the most afraid.

• nbs2 says:

Actually, it would be the folks that consume potentially unsafe ground meats at rare temperatures who should be concerned. The contaminated exterior surface of the meat is spread throughout the product, requiring thorough cooking to kill all potential deadlies. A steak, however, keeps its exterior on the exterior. Cooking that surface is generally enough to kill the deadlies. The unpenetrated interior will be deadly free. Again, this i based on the assumption of proper food handling – the lack thereof rendering all foods potentially deadly.

• AngryK9 says:

If the ecoli doesn’t get you, the oil might.

• Hardwired says:

I wash my hands BEFORE pooping. I wouldn’t want to get my poop dirty. I work at a restauraunt too. I make the salads. Being a vegetarian won’t save you from my nastiness.

• majortom1981 says:

I hope your being sarcastic. There have been MANY ecoli recalls on lettuce and other plants also.

2. Megladon says:
  3. Mary13134 says:

I think they are trying to starve us…

4. dreamfish says:

You’ll have to eat SPAM® instead.

5. GyroMight says:

I think it will be easier to make a list of things that are SAFE to eat.

6. Julia789 says:

What a waste of cows – they all died for nothing. :-(

7. hypochondriac says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if you fully cook the beef, it will be safe to eat right?

• 24NascarDude says:

Correct. But, therein lies the problem. Be it lack of proper cooking knowledge or personal preference, some people do not cook meat (especially beef) thoroughly.

• FatLynn says:

Yes. And for a healthy adult, e. coli may mean a day of muddbutt, but it shouldn’t kill you.

8. Im Just Saying says:

I’ve always wanted to say this: I make my [in this case] ground beef at home. We got the meat grinder for my lady’s kitchenaide and now buy bulk steaks on sale, trim them and grind them. I don’t know if it’s the fresh grind or the quality of the steak itself but it’s the best hamburger I’ve ever had.