Free Anti-Vuvuzela Software To Stop Your Ears From Bleeding

If you’ve tried watching any of the World Cup soccer games (aka Tournament of Ties) in the last week, you’ve no doubt noticed the Satanic bleating of the vuvuzela, a horn-like torture device that soccer fans in South Africa use to keep themselves awake during all the scorching, non-scoring action on the field. And while software companies take years to debug simple glitches, there’s been no shortage of electronic attempts to silence the deafening din.

Since most of the games take place during the average American workday, most of you are watching the Cup on your computer. Over at Stardock, they’ve created the Devuvuzelator, a free download that claims to let you choose “which level of de-vuvuzela’ing filtering you find most suitable.” This will run on any Windows PC running XP, Vista or Windows 7.

Our one-time stepsiblings at Lifehacker have multiple computer-based and manual methods for quieting the vuvuzela, including one they claim works on Apple computers.

Have any Consumerist readers found any other successful programs or manual methods (other than the mute button… or lots of alcohol) of taking the bite out of the vuvuzelas?

Sins of a Solar Empire Publisher Produces Free Vuvuzela-Buster [Kotaku]

Comments

1. Sajanas says:

It is kind of amazing how they have managed to keep that dull buzzing din going for a whole game, as if the World Cup was actually being played for the benefit of 20 trillion bees, rather than a bunch of drunks with horns.
    But you know, its not like you really need to watch sports with the sound on anyways. Its kinda nice to hear the crunches when people slam in to one another, but most of the time the announcers are so irritating I mute the sports that I watch.

• Clyde Barrow says:

Was thinking the same thing but with the stadium full of people, at any given time, someone plays that thing, another quits, another begins, another ends and so on and on and on. It ends up sounding like one complete long buzzzzzzzzz.

2. tresser says:

i don’t mind the sound. i just don’t hear it if i’m getting into the game.

• Daemon Xar says:

I usually hear it for the first 30 seconds, then my ears automatically tune it out. I really don’t see what the big deal is.

3. Fair&Balanced says:

Do any of you watch the world cup?
    Vuvuzela is not that big of deal.

4. grapedog says:

This may sound strange, but you could just ignore it.

I don’t even notice the noise, and I haven’t since about 5 minutes into the first game I watched for this world cup.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

Ugh, it gives me such a splitting headache I have to mute the sound entirely or just turn it off. I can’t ignore it.

5. iggy21 says:

I think it just adds to the atmoshpere. It makes the viewing experience feel more authentic. (and im not being sarcastic)

6. morehalcyondays says:

Vuvuzela…just one more thing that makes soccer retarded.

7. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

The best cure for the noise is to just watch the grass grow instead of watching soccer. It’s pretty much the same thing, especially if you get occasional random people walking around on it.

8. thrillhouse says:

The infinitely more annoying vuvuzela is the lone one being blown outside my window … hours after the game has ended.

But when there’s ten thousand of them, to quote Ned Flanders: “Ooh, they hum like angels.”

9. Keith is checking the Best Buy receipt of a breastfeeding mother (for tips!) says:

I find the constant drone of the horns to be annoying simply because a roar from the crowd is my clue to look up from what I’m doing and pay attention, because something interesting is happening. This is especially important while watching soccer. Can’t get that cue over the buzzing of a billion angry bees.

10. Murph1908 says:

Yes, I have been watching it. I have a TV in my office at work.

It is a big deal, but it’s being filtered out somewhat by the broadcasters. last week, when the coverage changed from ESPN to a different channel, the buzzing was louder on the new station. I couldn’t stand it, and changed it to golf.

So, yes. If it is causing people to change the channel, I imagine it is a pretty big deal to the broadcasters, FIFA, advertisers, and players.

Or maybe the millions of us complaining about it, and ESPN filtering it out, and FIFA thinking about banning them, and companines developing filtering software, and news organizations reporting on it, et. al. are just making something out of nothing.

11. Smashville says:

I’ll be honest. It hasn’t bugged me since I found out that it was crowd sound and not something wrong with a) the audio feed or b) my TV.

12. Wireless Joe says:

This is potentially a bigger disaster; all this will do is motivate manufacturers to create horns that work at different notes, bypassing the filters. By next world cup, all audio will sound something like white noise, or banging on all the piano keys at once.

13. Dan O. says:

WOW! Was streaming the Portugal v North Korea replay, and turned this on- it works, works damn well too. The medium setting pretty much removes it. Nice job!

14. tape says:

I have not found any method to “take the bit out of the vuvuzelas,” primarily because I think the vuvuzelas are freaking awesome.

15. subtlefrog says:

Forget the tv. I need a filter for my neighborhood. It’s really obvious every time a game is on – all the neighbors have apparently bought their own Vuvuzelas.

16. gonzaga707 says:

oh come on! No one who watches soccer thinks that noise is a problem, and soccer is not boring, out game isnt interrupted every 10 seconds (football) or every time someone barely touches someone (basketball) and we dont stop to suck oxygen on the sidelines,…

17. El_Fez says:

. . . aaaaand cue the “Soccer sucks and you are stupid for liking it” crowd in 3. . . .

18. yessongs says:

Go watch the Superbowl, that’s real football! At least here we don’t blow stupid horns

19. Bripanov says:

Linux users can run their audio through JACK and put in a band-pass filter on their output: http://www.russellbeattie.com/blog/linux-command-line-streaming-vuvuzela-filter