Madoff Bragged That He Gave Away $9B To Friends Before Being Arrested

The NY Post says that a fellow inmate of Bernie Madoff told them that the ponzi-schemer bragged about giving away $9 billion to three people before he was caught.

“I think it was personal friends,” the inmate told the Post.

From the NYPost:

Madoff says that his partner in crime Frank DiPascali knows who the recipients are — and that he suspects DiPascali is using that information to cut a better deal with the feds, according to the inmate at the medium-security prison in Butner, NC.

There’s no way to know if any of this is true, of course, but we believe it because we like this show.

Madoff’s hidden booty [NYP]

Comments

1. bhr says:

Next week Jack get the cell mate to admit on the stand that he was actually the mastermind behind the whole thing. Him and the Wilpons

2. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

This man should be sentenced to die by paper cuts.

One for every dollar he stole, misdirected and defrauded from others.

Paper cuts and lemon juice.

• DarksSideMoon says:

In the interest of fairness we should’ve done that to Franklin Roosevelt for social security, a ponzi scheme that makes Madoff look like an amateur.

• mythago says:

It wasn’t a Ponzi scheme back when people died a lot sooner than they did now. But your attempt to turn an anti-Madoff thread into a D vs R pissing fest is duly noted.

• DarksSideMoon says:

Nope, I was simply pointing out the fact that everyone calls Madoff a scumbag but don’t seem to bat an eye when someone else does it.

• parkj238 says:

Because privately funded scams are always better, no? Madoff gave money to 9 friends… How many people does the govt help?

• parkj238 says:

I mean he helped *3* ppl to $9 Billion dollars.

• DarksSideMoon says:

I’m not saying he isn’t a scumbag. What he did was take from many people, to give to few people. Social Security takes from the many (Working people) to give to the few (Retired people), and when it begins to give to the many and take from the few, it will collapse and defraud many of their initial investment, which is exactly what happened with madoff.

• Mecharine says:

Yes I get it, old people suck and should die in a fire. But YOU will be an old person too. By the way, how is your pension fund?

• DarksSideMoon says:

Where did I ever say I hate old people? It’s not their fault the government is scamming my generation. My retirement fund will be fine when its time to start putting money away, as I’m not counting on getting any return on investment from what I’m paying into Social Security. Is it even possible to rationally discuss anything anymore? I say the government shouldn’t do what we send people to jail for and all of a sudden I’m a hater of old people.

• Jerry Vandesic says:

Most government programs benefit only a fraction of those that pay for them (fire departments, public roadways, the national guard, etc.). There are certainly some people who think that the government should provide little or no services, and therefore collect little or no taxes, but for the most part the citizenry of the US disagrees with that position. Comparing Madoff to social security says more about you than anything else.

3. smo0 says:

It might be true, but that can be said for anyone who is “higher up” in the chain of life. No deals, let him rot. Those other people (if there are) will get what’s coming to them.

• JollyJumjuck says:

Or, more likely, they will get away with it, spend their lives in luxury and happiness with not a shred of conscience to disturb their night’s sleep.

I have found over the years that karma, while being the Universe’s method of debt repayment, is also the biggest deadbeat around.

• Javin says:

Thank you. Karma either doesn’t exist, or is really, really, really lazy.

• denros says:

There doesn’t seem to be a very robust understanding of the concept of karma, at least not in its original sense. Or, as francis bacon said, “God forbid that we should give out a dream of our own imagination for a pattern of the world”

4. Hoss says:

Whom but the Post would use a prison inmate as a source? Classic

5. lawgirl502 says:

Hasn’t anyone given him the shiv yet?

6. Shonky McShonk says:

madoff ain’t hidden no booty in prison.

nope not happening.

they are lubricating him up so he squeals like a pig.

he may be tight lipped but he is not tight cheeked

they are squeezing into him everything they can.

since it is the post i will not read the article but here is how you know whether it is true or not…….

why would you open your mouth and make that claim to some scumbag like yourself in prison.

stfu and smile knowing you gave the money to your friends on the outside and especially to your friend sol who is now consoling your lonely wife

7. sopmodm14 says:

guys a scumbag, and should be made to work like in a sweatshop

it’ll teach him the meaning of earning one’s pay, or making license plates at .20 cents per hour, not in luxury conditions of prison.

8. Tallorder64 says:

This proves once again that this person (I almost said man) is totally devoid of morals.

9. DarksSideMoon says:

Might I ask why I am an ideologue? I don’t buy into the views of either party. I’m not saying helping out the elderly is a bad thing, simply that doing something fraudulently for a good cause doesn’t make it not fraud.