Giant List Of Data Brokers To Opt Out Of

Everyone is freaking out about Facebook having/owning your data, but they’re NKOTB (New Kids On The Block). There’s a slew of guys that have been carving up, packaging and reselling your personal information since before “Please Don’t Go Girl” started assaulting our ear canals. Here’s a cubic ton of data brokers, direct marketers and data aggregation services, with links to how you can opt your digits out of their databases.

DATA BROKERS

ZABA Inc.

Marketers, Direct Mail

Abacus Cooperative
Acxiom Corporation
Aristotle / Voter Lists Online
ChoicePoint Precision Marketing
Cox Target Media (Valpak)
DirectMail.com

Catalog Choice
Opt Out Services LLC

Opt out of Online Advertising

Network Advertising Initiative
Google’s DoubleClick
Microsoft Advertising

Removing your personal information from the Internet, data brokers, marketers, etc. [Pinching Your Pennies]

(Thanks to Bob!)

Comments

1. apd09 says:

Autofill on google toolbar is a wonderful thing when filling out forms like these.

2. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Well, I know what I’m doing the next few weeks…

3. mac-phisto says:

wow. you know, i would probably pay a nominal fee for an online service that did this for me. i’d want some sort of verification that the opt-out was processed, but i’d definitely throw $20-30 at a company willing to do this as a service.

4. ajlei says:

I’m disappointed that NKOTB had to be spelled out.

5. BuyerOfGoods3 says:

What an Industry! Who knew someone was still thriving!

6. Nakko says:

Hhhhholy cow, it’s the mother lode!
    Wow. Thank you for compiling this list!

7. Sunflower1970 says:

WTF is up with having to send LETTERS to some of these places? They bought my information, and now I have to send them a letter with stuff like a copy of my driver’s license or other ID info to have it blocked?!

• LuzioFantazmic says:

I know. I saw that. I went through the first 3 or 4 of those links and 2 of them you needed to send letters to opt out. They don’t make it easy.

Some of these information brokers aren’t the most trustworthy to begin with. Makes you wonder if opting out actually gives them more information on you to sell. I don’t trust some of these guys as far as you can throw them.

• BeFrugalNotCheap says:

Ooh, I just noticed the same thing. It’s like letting a fox protect the hen house, or something like that.

8. sufreak says:

Or, this these guys are dishonest, they could just compile the data for the opt out, and sell that to someone else.

9. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

Good god.

This will be a fun week of work to rid myself of these parasites.

10. El-Brucio says:

Now if only someone could do something about those charities I donate to that instantly sell my information to 20 other charities for marketing purposes….

11. Breve says:

If you use Firefox I highly recommend the Beef TACO (Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-out) add-on. It’s so simple you just install and forget about it:

12. HogwartsProfessor says:

Nooooo, I can’t opt out of Publisher’s Clearing House. I might win!

13. pinecone99 says:

Officially freaked out. Beyond the normal phone # & address info, there is stuff posted on some of these sites that obviously was gleaned from Facebook and LinkedIn. And I’ve always had my FB settings on maximum privacy.

14. khooray says:

Most of them want you to write to them via snail mail to get your info removed.
    They know no one will take the time to do this for so many sites.

Also, they had my cell number as a landline for someone in downtown St. Louis.
    I live in the suburbs, nowhere close to where it was showing, so I’m not too worried about the accuracy!