Drunk Driver Catapults Car Over Tollbooth

This is not how you avoid paying an airport toll. Repeat, do not hit the concrete barrier at a high rate of speed and go all General Lee over the tollbooth. Your car may burst into flames and you might die.

In fact, there is not a recommended method for avoiding a toll, because it’s important to pay tolls because the money goes to things like road maintenance and improvements, and paying for crews to remove flaming car hulls off the highway.

NBCDFW reports that after the car vaulted landed over the booth, as well as the car that was in front of her in the toll lane, it burst into flames and the driver escaped safely. However, she then kept trying to get back into the car while it was on fire.

We’re late to the party on this video but wanted to get this important public safety announcement out there.

Car Cannonballs Over DFW Airport Tollbooth [NBCDFW] (Thanks to humphrmi!)

Comments

1. Big Ant says:

Was he trying to take down a chopper?

2. cash_da_pibble says:

That would be pretty impressive, it it wasn’t so damn stupid.

3. davere says:

I saw this on Die Hard 4

4. mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

I believe we may have located the missing Continental pilot!

5. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Them darn Duke boys!

6. marillion says:

It was at this point that Michael Knight was asked to retire…

That’s right.. I’m “hassling the Hoff”…

7. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

Saw this a couple weeks ago on the Dallas news. The amazing thing is, you can see she had realized…too late…that she was going WAAAAY too fast and had actually applied the brakes about a second before the impact with the ramp. So she must have been really hauling ass.

I would love to see the final police report. The initial report indicated DUI but it would be awesome to see the witness statements.

• d0x360 says:

You would think the toll signs a mile away, and the giant toll booth thats visible would have been a sign she was going too fast..you know before she hit it.

• Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

Guaranteed she was texting, talking on her cell phone or applying makeup.

• mythago says:

I dunno, I see (presumably sober) drivers speed up to toll stations all the time, with the added fun of swerving into the “cash” lanes when they realize three seconds too late that they’re in the toll-tag-only lane.

• Zyada says:

Something to add to your amazement about this – in the early 90s, a semi driver fell asleep and plowed through one of the (sadly occupied) toll booths (yes, through, not between). Very soon after that, DFW cut grooves (rumble strips) into the pavement well ahead of the toll booths to wake sleeping drivers up.

I can’t imagine what going over those at that speed sounded like. Maybe she thought there was a mosquito in the car?

• operator207 says:

They are loud. As in wake the dead loud. At least the ones in the southbound side going through DFW Airport.

If you are going the speed limit they are pretty loud, if your going 20mph+ over, they are “is my car in an earthquake” loud.

• shepd says:

LOL! She claims she was rear-ended into doing this! Rear ended by what? A transport truck doing 200 km/h with a giant cushy barrier on the front?!

• Mogwai says:

Police report is here:

I can’t see it though, not working on my computer. Her BAC must be listed.

8. Tim in Wyoming says:

Airport, Chevy Impala…. I hope she got the rental insurance.

9. lalaland13 says:

I love that after the accident, she kept ignoring the cop and trying to get back into her car.

Which happened to be on fire at the time.

• MountainCop says:

Which just goes to show you… no matter how hard you try, you just can’t fix stupid.

10. NarcolepticGirl says:

Why do they always say “suspicion” of drunk driving? Don’t they test the driver for that to confirm?

“The driver told police she had been rear-ended as she was approaching the toll plaza and that the collision caused her vehicle to strike the protector barricade.”

haha……

• lalaland13 says:

News media usually says “arrested on suspicion of” because often charges haven’t been officially filed by the prosecutor. There’s always a chance (rather unlikely in this case, I’d wager) that the prosecutor could look at the file and decide this warranted no charges at all, or that there isn’t enough evidence for this charge, so he amends it to something else. So “on suspicion of” is generally more accurate, and safer, than “arrested on charges of” so-and-so.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

I see. Thanks!

• dangermike says:

Moreso than that, drunk driving is a crime. Even if they have been arrested on suspicion of committing the crime, they still have not been proven guilty. Reporting that they were driving drunk before being convicted could be considered libelous by the perpetrator and could set up a poisoned well defense if the case went to a jury, as anyone who had seen the report could have been biased by it.

• Mobius says:

Also, saying someone is drunk in public is like saying they are guilty of any other crime before they are convicted leaving them open to slander or libel suits. Paramedics and police use different words to convey this information as a result so they don’t get sued. (EtOH for paramedics and DK for police where I live. Used like “Transporting one Dee Kay male.”)

• ktetch says:

Also, roadside sobriety tests have very little evidential value. Even portable brethylisers are not really considered evidential, but just an indicator. So, they’re arrested, and taken to an evidence-quality machine in the station, but that’s why it’s ‘suspicion’.

11. smo0 says:

Wow, just friggin, wow.

12. adamczar says:

Okay, I know this is scary and someone could have been killed and all that, but…

I bust out laughing when I watch that clip! Hahaha!

• dragonfire81 says:

Me too. I can’t stop laughing. Every time that car comes flying in out of nowhere…

13. smo0 says:

The article mentions that they were suspicious of her drinking and driving – in fact, I’m in a debate with some of my coworkers if she really was.

Personally, if she wasn’t – it would make this story more interesting.

14. Dallas_shopper says:

This is way old news here in Dallas but it was friggin’ hilarious when it happened. Word around the campfire is she was drunk.

15. humphrmi says:

What’s even funnier is the timestamp on the video – 6:13AM. So’s she’s drunk enough to catapult her car over the toll booth, at 6:13AM. On a Tuesday.

• ARP says:

Exactly. Here in Chicago its fairly common for a car to go through a window, get trapped on a median, etc. during the weekend.

I hope she was celebrating a promotion, she’s gonna need that money.

• pot_roast says:

Don’t forget that she’s unemployed. But she’s plastered drunk and driving around. She admitted to having drinks the night before too.

16. SphinxRB says:

I read an article about this. She tried to claim she was rear ended, she was then questioned why all the damage was to the front of the car, none in rear. Good try lady!

17. JeffM says:

Insane Stunt Bonus!
    Distance: 69ft Height:21ft Flips: 0 Rotation: 7°

18. Griking says:

I read the linked article and saw no mention of the driver being drunk as your title said she was.

19. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

There is a toll highway in Denver, CO that is NOT a public road. So the toll, although it does go to maintenance, also goes to fill the coffers of a private businessman.

• nybiker says:

I guess that guy really does make his own tolls at home.

For us here in the Big Apple our tolls are allegedly used for maintenance, but they also serve 2 other purposes: 1). create massive traffic jams regardless of the day or time (ok, maybe not all the time but a very large percentage of it) and 2), generate a surplus that is then siphoned off to the transit system (the MTA, which also runs those bridges & tunnels). So, even though I take the bus & subway to go to work (when I was employed), I am also a social driver, so visiting friends & family out of the 5 boroughs means I have to pay again to get over the bridge. And next week the MTA is taking a meat cleaver to the bus & subway system. And in September they will be taking the chain saw to it. /end of anti-mta rant.

• Tim in Wyoming says:

And I refuse to use said toll road. It is not worth the $9.50 round trip toll to drive 40 miles round trip to only save at most a few minutes of my time!

• bwcbwc says:

And there are several toll roads throughout the country where the state or local road authority has tax-farmed the tolls for a lump sum payment. So the tollroad is just a commercial enterprise with the minimum road maintenance possible. In some cases the contract stipulates that the state or road authority still has to provide the maintenance while the profiteers rake in the tolls.

20. Murph1908 says:

Well, on the bright side…

We now have another option for when your Toyota accellerator sticks.

21. CapitalC says:

See? Gender equity. It just took women 30 years to figure out how to pull off a Dukes of Hazard move.

22. womynist says:

Check out this link for a similar story…it happened here in NH recently. Woman drives car through laundromat.

23. lawgirl502 says:

Daaaaahhhhum, dat bitch is crazy

24. shadow67 says:

i am going hear a lot back for this, but… lady driver…

25. Clyde Barrow says:

Wow,,I did NOT expect the car to be moving so fast. I would have loved to have seen the footage of him jumping the booth, or going right through it.

26. JulesNoctambule says:

I would love to see footage of the landing.

27. madtube says:

Replay. Replay. Replay.

Even though this is old news, I enjoy the video every time.

28. AngryK9 says:

YEEEEE HAAAAAAAAW!!!!!!

29. Doubts42 says:

I have the video clip[ of this saved on my desktop at work to cheer me up. I have probably watched it 500 times. As she approaches you see the brakes are already locked uo as she hits the barrier. the nose is dipped and the rear raised. i would love to see the redo where she doesn’t chicken out/ sober up a little, right before the jump and keeps it floored.

Another wonderful part of the video is that there is no landing, just the car jumping into the air. If you try really hard you can hear Waylon Jennings in the background “Now how are those Duke boys gonna get out of this one?”

30. Danjalier says:

I’d like to know what the driver of the White car to the stunt driver’s right was thinking for those perilous 7 seconds of slow mo between hitting and releasing the brake.

31. Chip Skylark of Space says:

I saw something like this unfold in front of me on the Mass Turnpike about 30 years ago. Some dude went around me as we approached a booth, and he found himself heading for a booth that was closed. He turned the wheel, cranked the car sideways, and ended up with his car on top of the concrete cowcatchers in front of the only open booth, easily a foot off the ground. The attendant looked out the window, saw what had unfolded, and reached up and turned off the green light. He took his cash box with him to another booth, while my car load of people were laughing our asses off, dead stopped in front of this tableau. The driver jumped down from his car, and went into his trunk for his jack, hoping that he could get his car down. After a few seconds, the attendant stuck his head out again from his new booth, and waved me in.

32. palfas says:

So much better with dixie