Send Your Defective Plants Back To Sea Life And You Will Be Rewarded Twofold

Luke writes that he bought some aquatic plant bulbs that failed to sprout. He was sad, but then he saw the company’s promise of replacement bulbs on the back of the box. He sent the dud bulbs back to the company, and was surprised to receive back twice as many bulbs as he sent in. They even replaced bulbs for which he hadn’t saved the receipt.

There’s a company called “Sea Life” out of Sioux Falls, SD which sells
dry plant bulbs for use in aquariums. You can find them in most pet
shops and even in the occasional Walmart nowdays. Because they are a
cheap alternative to live plants, I bought a few boxes of the bulbs. I
didn’t hold out much hope for them, because aquatic plants usually
don’t last long in aquariums, and I wasn’t surprised when only one
bulb out of all three packages managed to sprout.

On the back of the package, they claimed that if you sent them your
unsprouted bulbs and a copy of your receipt, they’d send you
replacements. I didn’t buy my boxes at the same time and I only had a
receipt for the last box, but I figured I might as well send in the
bulbs which didn’t sprout, along with a letter explaining my purchases
and the fact I didn’t expect them to honor their agreement but I
wanted to find out anyway.

In my mailbox today was a bubble mailer that had no less than 14 plant
bulbs in it, well over twice what I’d purchased. There was no note
inside, no explanation, and the bulbs were from both species of plants
they offer, not just the ones I’d bought.

So if you buy aquarium bulbs from Sea Life, save your receipt, and if
they don’t sprout, send them in. Because you get a surprisingly large
amount back.

Comments

1. Chan says:

I sent out a few defective bulbs to them curious to see if I’d get anything back. Surprised, I got back more than what I sent out. Those aquatic bulbs they sell at Wal-Mart are pretty cool, for $5 you get about $20 worth of aquatic decor (in comparison to buying the full grown plants at a local pet store, in my town anyway).

2. ubermex says:

I love hearing things like this. Keep being awesome, sea life!

3. JennQPublic says:

I can’t find a website for Sea Life. :-(

4. The Cheat says:

These particular bulbs are pretty good for low light tanks but you still need to have some sort of full spectrum bulb above the tank. They will do well with 1 watt of light per gallon of water and occasionally with whatever ambient light is available.

5. Hoss says:

Last year I bought about $120 worth of plant tubers from Home Depot. Home Depot has a one year plant guarentee but for things like ferns and other plants what you have purchased in a bag that includes a few root systems and peat moss. The short of it is more than one-half of the plants never sprouted. Live and learn — I won’t buy tubers or bulbs at Home Depot. There is no way to return a dead root system or decayed bulb.

6. winstonthorne says:

Buying dry bulbs also avoids many of the disease/pest issues that can come from buying live plants in a pet store (i.e. snail wars).

7. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I’ve had some of their bulbs in a small aquarium; the package said there were supposed to be five bulbs and I got more like 10; interestingly enough, about 5 of them sprouted. Since that was the amount I was expecting in the first place, I never bothered to send the non-sprouters. But they’ve had the send-back policy for a while now, I’ve purchased dry bulbs from them about five years ago, and they had the same packaging and promise.

8. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I had no idea such things existed. Now I want to put a bulb under water just to watch it sprout.

/Nerdness

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

That’s pretty much what I did. I started out with a big pickle jar (like a foot tall or so), some gravel and sand from outside/sandbox–rinsed thoroughly!–and some tap water. Let it sit for a day for the chlorine to dissipate, then stuck the bulbs in, and set the jar next to a sunny window. Had a few green tips within a couple days. They’re even lower-maint than a regular potted plant, so long as the container is water-tight. :)

9. johnva says:

It’s actually not at all true that “aquatic plants usually don’t last long in aquariums”. That’s only the case if you don’t know what you’re doing and use either inappropriate plants (ie, not true aquatics) or very inadequate lighting (ie, the standard strip lights that come with beginners’ tank kits rather than plant-appropriate lights),

• montanaxvi says:

I thought the exact same thing when I read the article. I had many aquariums and various setups through the years ranging from a 50 gallon community tank to tanks of Oscars and even a 20 gallon long with a Betta in it.

If you don’t know what you are doing don’t expect anything to live.

• Wolfbird says:

+1 cookie.

10. Wolfbird says:

oh god, that aquarium is making me green with envy. Do want!

11. jiubreyn says: