Map: Is Your Local Pot Store About To Be Shut Down?

Earlier this week, Los Angeles authorities announced that 439 currently legal marijuana dispensaries would have to shut their doors by June 7 or face fines of up to $2,500 a day and possible jail time. Only about 130 dispensaries will remain open after the June 7 deadline. And thanks to the folks at the L.A. Times, citizens of L.A. now have an interactive map showing where the stores to be shuttered are located.

In addition to the map below, you can click here for the L.A. City Council’s store-by-store list.

View Larger Map

Map: Marijuana dispensaries told to close [L.A. Times]

Comments

1. admiral_stabbin says:

“Only about 130 dispensaries will remain open after the June 7 deadline.” That’s 130 more than we have here, and my back is killin’ me! At least I think it is…I can’t remember…

2. diasdiem says:

Best “Going Out Of Business” Sales ever.

3. Angus99 says:

So, let me ask the dumb-guy-from-Kansas question – does this mean that apparently tens of thousands of people have gotten their doctors to write the necessary approvals to buy “legally” per the state ordinance (I realize it conflicts with federal law, not trying to start that argument) or all these places essentially selling pot to folks that walk off the street with the cash? Has it already evolved to what is essentially an informal open sale kind of arrangement? And for the record, I am from Kansas but I’m also jealous as all hell about it.

• fatediesel says:

It’s not even necessarily their doctors giving out the prescriptions. There are plenty of doctors that will write you a prescription for medical marijuana if you just tell them you have the symptoms that would make a prescription necessary, even if they’ve never met you before. The doctors won’t even do any tests, they’ll just write a prescription.

• bdcw says:

Whaddaya mean, no tests? My ‘420’ doctor took my blood pressure….

[ He was so stoned it took him 20 minutes and he needed help from an assistant figuring out how to get the sleeve on my arm. LOL. ]

• stevgex says:

Yeah, the law is written so vaguely that pretty much anything qualifies for a prescription. i got mine because my hair hurt.

• SenorBob says:

Yeah, it’s a bit ridiculous walking along Venice Beach (essentially that big clump of red on the coast) and hearing the carnival barkers outside the pot dispensaries shouting “the doctor is in! get your prescription for $10!”

Now I’m certainly no prude, but come on people!

• Difdi says:

Actually, it doesn’t conflict with federal law at all, since the feds have zero authority to regulate it, unless it crosses state lines. Of course, the fact it’s unconstitutional to interfere with intra-state commerce doesn’t seem to matter to them much.

4. chaesar says:

some of these places have silly names

5. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Great now what am I supposed to do about my glaucoma….

6. bdcw says:

Oh, No! 2 of my favorites are shutting down! No more Mega-Brownies, Zen Medi-Strips, or Bubba Bubble Hash! What am I to do?!?

7. JasonR says:

Stupid California…

If it’s legal, why should the ordinances be any different from a Pharmacy?

Have the lawmakers forgotten that they’re making around 8.75% sales tax from these 439 businesses? If each one was only grossing $500k/year (which is only like 3 Oz of the stuff per day at average CA prices and a six day work week), they’re walking away from $19.2 Million annually.

I guess when your state has a $20 Billion budget deficit, numbers in the tens or hundreds of millions lose meaning.

• Im Just Saying says:

Don’t worry, they’ll just raise property taxes and write a bunch of traffic tickets to Adam Carolla.

• dantsea says:

The law and order types here in (most of) California deeply resent the fact that mere citizens had the audacity to remind them of who they work for when Prop. 215 was passed in the 90s, and they have fought its implementation every step of the way. While most of the time they’ve lost in court, this latest tactic is to “ban” it by not zoning for it. With full legalization likely to pass in November along with a case regarding Anaheim’s zoning shenanigans in front of the state Supreme Court (who have a history of ruling in favor of marijuana supporters), this will likely be temporary.

• pot_roast says:

I remember reading that a lot of the club were operating as non-profits and were paying very little in taxes.

8. dg says:

Any of them who want to come to Illinois – feel free to open up shop… Yeah, it’s still illegal here, but our State’s budget is in the crapper and the fools in the statehouse are looking for new sources of revenue, so why not give ‘er a shot!

9. H3ion says:

Not unless they close street corners.

10. r01984 says:

439 pot stores???

Why are there so many sick people in LA??

11. Rachacha says:

For those of you on the east coast, it looks as if Washington DC will soon be legalizing marijuana

12. zerokool420 says:

because theres not enough empty realestate with shuttered businesses closing….
    cops and religiouse have lost the war a long time ago, this is there last chance to prevent it…
    what do you think? there going to turn over a new leaf?

la times should do an article how many liquor stores are in the same location. the map would be all red…

13. fuceefacee says:

I guess these places are going up in smoke?

14. Veeber says:

I scanned the title too fast and was trying to figure out what my local pet store has to do with selling marijuana. Need more coffee

15. PupJet says:

Hmm…. it’s funny that Beverly Hills had pot sellers… for the price they probably want, I would suspect it’s laced. :P

16. gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

so, there’s no red dots out here in NC… does that mean our drug dealers, er, pot stores won’t be shut down?

17. Munchie says:

Sensationalist head line. They must reregister under new regulation requirement for face being shut down.