JetBlue Employee Shops While Pretending To Help Stranded Passengers?

Dan thought something was funny going on when a woman behind a JetBlue counter seemed less than capable when helping passengers stranded at JFK due to weather delays. He snuck around the back and photographed her shopping at Babies R Us rather than doing her job.

He writes:

On 4/25/10 while at JFK waiting for a connecting flight, severe weather was causing some serious delays. My personal flight was delayed by 4 hours, and I was not the only person in a bad spot. A plane arrived in the JetBlue terminal coming from Orlando carrying a payload of passengers that had all missed their connecting flights. JetBlue was aware of this, but did nothing to prepare for their arrival. While I was waiting for my flight, I watched as people lined up to see what could be done about their missed flights, only to witness these paying customers get some of the worst service I have ever seen. There was only 1 woman at the JetBlue desk to help all of these passengers, and her attention was on other things. I had my flip camera handy and caught some footage of this woman pretending to assist passengers while she shopped for items on the Babies R Us website. I have included a screencap from the video in this email. Should I forward this on to JetBlue or will it go nowhere?

I mean, we’ve all played Tetris at work, but this is a bit ridiculous. Almost like a page out of the Chris Morran playbook.

Comments

1. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

o/` Smile, you’re on Candid Camera… o/`

2. evilxlilbrat says:

OP should definitely leave feedback via JB’s “speak up” feature. I’ve done it before and Jetblue was very responsive.

3. jgarfink says:

You should absolutely send this to JetBlue. I mean, I dick around on the net when I’ve got downtime, but she actually has WORK that needs doing…

4. Darrone says:

I see a free travel voucher in your future…

5. tbax929 says:

I’m as guilty as anyone else of surfing at work. Hell, it’s how I keep up on Consumerist news! However, this is unacceptable. She charged with helping stranded customers and she’s shopping?!? Ridiculous. The OP should forward his complaint to JetBlue; they seem to do a good job of addressing customer complaints.

Of course, now that this is on Consumerist, I suspect JetBlue already know about it!

6. ajlei says:

I’d be sending this in a heartbeat.

7. tekenen says:

No, this should not be sent unless you are certain it is not a crime to make such a recording. It is quite possible that it is.

• Blueskylaw says:

Since when is it a crime to take a photograph of a person in an airport terminal?

• Humward says:

Under what theory is it a crime to take a picture of a monitor with Babies R’ Us up? I suppose we could reach and argue that JetBlue’s monitors sometimes contain trade secret information, and that photographing and publishing them might be illegal in some situations. But even if we made that leap, this isn’t that.

• Shampoo Lies says:

Gotta love the litigious contrarian. Tekenen is probably a scumbag lawyer.

• dago_31 says:

Assume, for the sake of argument, that this is indeed a crime. I doubt JetBlue would want to attract even MORE attention to the fact their employees don’t do their jobs. Banks have employees embezzle all the time, but rarely prosecute as they don’t want their account holders knowing an employee stole their money.

• Malicious A says:

I don’t think this picture is illegal..He took a picture in a public place, and did not capture any JB or Airport proprietary information. He also didn’t capture any faces either. He should be good.

• A.Mercer says:

Watch someone claim it is a security breach of some sort and not only want the person who took it thrown in jail but all copies of the pictures taken down from the web.

• Blueskylaw says:

You can’t accuse/convict someone of a crime if it wasn’t a crime when they “did” it.

• whogots is "not computer knowledgeable" says:

You can accuse all you want, and cause massive rectal pain for the innocent person you’re accusing. Which validates the PP’s point somewhat.

I don’t think it’s true in the case of JetBlue, but it might be something to consider if you wanted to give a similar photo to, say, Walmart.

• NickelMD says:

JetBlue and their employees are generally awesome, except for JFK. I have never had a good experience there with the JetBlue staff. They are total douchenozzles, so this surprises me not in the least.

• dg says:

bull – she’s in an open area – using a computer provided by her employer for the purpose of providing service to customers. SHE has no expectation of privacy when using the machine. She has little expectation of privacy in public (yeah, you can’t put the camera under her dress, but you can take her pic in public).

If she’s THAT stupid to be surfing and lying to customers – I’d feel no compulsion against videoing her and sharing it with the world either…

Remember: Sunlight is the best disinfectant. Take the pics/videos – make them public – that’s the only way to effect change.

8. Blueskylaw says:

Since baby clothes are so expensive, can you blame her for trying to score a sale item?

/sarcasm

9. Groovymarlin says:

Unreal. Definitely bring this to JetBlue management’s attention. At the very least, they have a training issue with this particular employee. I’m kind of stunned that browsing the public web is even possible on those terminals. I always assumed they were just for accessing the ticketing system. D’oh!

I’d post the video on YouTube and get some hits then send an EECB to JetBlue, with helpful links to the footage. :)

10. misterfweem says:

Heee heee. Buy the Chris Morran playbook for one penny plus $4.99 shipping. Publishing IS dead.

11. misterfweem says:

Heee heee. Buy the Chris Morran playbook for one penny plus $3.99 shipping. Publishing IS dead.

12. leprechaunshawn says:

We are at about 10% unemployment and this woman has a job? I know it’s generally not a good thing to wish bad things on people but I hope this woman loses her job, she does not deserve it.

13. Endgame says:

YOU ARE FIRED!!!!

14. Green Mountain Boy says:

We love JetBlue but this would be a deal breaker if I caught a employee doing that to me.

15. thrillcook says:

I’m curious to wonder what Dan thought her “capabilities” were for controling the weather, maybe Babies R us is the first step for her on her quest for designing a weather machine.

Where are you trying to go Dan? Didn’t you just say there was “severe weather” in your own statement? I’m sorry that you are a captured audience but you are going to have to wait for the weather to clear before the tower can update the flights availability. Woman behind the desk says “Let me book you on the next flight, oh wait that is canceled due to weather, how about this one, no wait same problem, would you accept this Bus pass as recourse for your 4 hour flight delay, it will get you there safely.” You and John Madden can share a row.

• EffieRover says:

She is customer service, darlin. Even if there are no options, it is HER JOB to interact with customers in a way that diminishes their concerns and makes them feel as though their needs are attended to. You can’t do that if you’re surfing at work. And yeah, I surf at work, but not when there’s work to be done.

• Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Maybe she was assisting customers with their Baby’s R US purchases….

16. Malicious A says:

PERRRRRRRRRFECT pic.

17. dreamfish says:

I have every confidence they will take it seriously.

18. eli says:

And how many of you are here reading Consumerist at work?

• uberbitter says:

You are you not actually clever.

I never have, and never will, ignore someone because I want to surf the web in my personal or professional life. I doubt most people would do what that woman is doing, so don’t even try to play the hypocrite card.

• JulesNoctambule says:

Ah, yet another perk of being self-employed!

• aka_mich says:

You’re trying to compare apples to oranges. I’d be fairly certain nobody reading this article has a line of angry customers waiting to be serviced. If you have internet access while at work there is a time and place for this kind of stuff, this is definitely one of those times.

• Megalomania says:

Oh my, you have taught me the error of my ways, let me return to the long line of angry and unsure people who I am paid to help.. oh wait, there’s nobody else in my office.

19. vastrightwing says:

Did you or the people in line offer to pay the agent an “attention” fee? Probably not. This is the new method to help a struggling airline, attention fees (also known as bribes).

What would have been funny would have been to call JetBlue corporate, and have someone there call this agent and ask her why she was shopping at Babies R Us instead of helping passengers? LOL.

20. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

I’m wondering why they even have the ability to go on to the internet. Seems like ther IT Dept. should be filtering the websites or taking away the ability all together.

21. lehrdude says:

I was about to post a witty remark…but my boss just asked me to go get him a cup of coffee!

I hope I can remember what I was going to say later….

22. Clyde Barrow says:

Really, the OP is asking whether it should be forwarded? Of course you should forward it to the appropriate managers. Who gives a shit about this person acting benevolent to customers. Some of these folks may be going to see their dying parents, late for business meetings, funerals, etc. It’s obvious she is callous about her job so she can work somewhere else.

23. MisterE says:

If you don’t send it to Jetblue, try sending it to your local news station. Perhaps that might generate some interest?

24. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Hi, I’m stuck here and don’t have enough diapers/formula/etc… Where is the nearest Babies-R-Us so I can pick up supplies until the weather clears?

25. SabreDC says:

While this picture is good for documenting the situation, it probably didn’t help those stranded customers either. Public humiliation would have been far better: Yelling out “Babies ‘R’ Us?! I thought you were helping these passengers!” would probably have caused her such shame and embarrassment that she would have helped the passengers.

26. italianbaby says:

modern technology, gotta love it. definitely forward this to jet blue.
    her attention should be on the customers. that’s what she paid to do.
    surf the web on her own clock.

27. BoredOOMM says:

Did BabieRUs have any deals that day?

What did we miss?!?

28. starmac says:

I concur with an earlier poster…I am actually surprised shopping sites are accessible from on site computers. I have a second job at a retail store, and EVERYTHING is blocked except the company’s websites.

As for privacy in recording, her face wasn’t revealed so I would think its fair game.

• starmac says:

Thinking about it more…it actually is kind of unfair that people who work in offices can access the internet freely while working on projects, but customer facing jobs don’t allow any leisure.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

It’s probably why they don’t block it. I’m sure that there are periods of time when there isn’t a line of people and the higher-ups probably don’t care if they use that time to browse.

• Carmeysays... says:

Not only should her face be revealed, but her name and phone number. She was paid to do a job and she cheated the customers right in front of her and her employer. She should lose her job and not be able to get another job like this again.

I have several unemployed friends who would do her job and not goof off if they were hired, she deserves no mercy.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

but her name and phone number

…Why? Why is getting fired insufficient? You want the photo and contact information of anyone who ever gets fired up on a web site?

29. Carmeysays... says:

Yo, Phil! The photographer / victim asked a question, do you think you could ANSWER it in your post?

YES – Send it to the CEO’s office asking if this is typical of customer service in their organization, and demand a free flight or you will post it all over YouTube and everywhere else.

30. COBBCITY says:

I would send this to JetBlue immediately via a EECB and try and include the time you were there so they can figure out which person was at the desk. The fact that this is on this site is fun too. Little does this woman know she’s famous.

31. LexLuber says:

He should Tweet this to JetBlue, as well. He may even get a faster response. http://www.twitter.com/JETBLUE.

32. xguile says:

It’s all a misunderstanding. Babies “Я” Us and Jetblue have recently merged! Jet Babies “Я” Blue provides top quality babies clothing at affordable prices on all flights. Flight delayed? Get a free bib! The woman behind the counter was merely assigning the complimentary gifts to each delayed passenger.

33. vastrightwing says:

This got me thinking… I notice that when agents are behind the counter, they seem to be typing long novels on their keyboards. It’s amazing how much text they’re typing on those keyboards. Now I’m wondering if perhaps, they’re texting their friends or co-workers while pretexting they’re helping you. Just wondering.

34. Winfield says:

Awesome detective work.

35. bitsnbytes says:

This photo could be a Friday Find, it’s that good.

36. Pepper says:

Just to play devil’s advocate..

Maybe she was looking up information on a particular car seat of a passenger. You can get all the specs of them from the babiesrus website. Maybe a passenger wanted to know if it could safely be secured in another flight?

• lanigan911 says:

To continue the Devil’s Advocate theme: There’s nothing in this photo that backs up the OP’s claims at all as to the location OR the company. It’s just a picture of a woman looking at a website.

That being said, I would’ve done as suggested earlier in the comments and yelled something out loud at the time.

37. backinpgh says:

This shit might go viral like that super huge fat guy who was practically sitting in the aisle of the plane.

38. openbox says:

Kind of a slap in the face to all the unemployed people out there who would give anything to just have a job.