How Rich Are You, Really?

It’s not enough just to have money. You need to know how your money stacks up against others’. Are you making a lot or a little compared to most people? How many people are ahead of you, and how many behind? A free fun little online tool called the Global Rich List is here to help. Just type in your salary and it will tell you your rank in the entire world. For instance, a salary of $75,000 and you are the 49,322,169th richest person in the world. Not bad, eh? Sure, but the guy who is the 49,322,168th has it so much better.

Global Rich List [via Budgets are $exy]

Comments

1. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I tried, but their system can’t handle negative numbers.

• PupJet says:

LOL +1

Does that constitute the aspect of being so broke you can’t even afford to pay attention? LOL

• Tongsy says:

It doesn’t like 0 either.
      Says you’re the richest person in the world!

• a354174 says:

Their system also puts you no higher than 107,565 and if you put in anything over $200,000 it does not change anything.

Kinda disappointing.

2. the_didgers says:

I’m sure Nicholas Cage makes more than me, I’m all in the black.

3. Anathema777 says:

That kind of put things in perspective.

• SissyOPinion says:

Particularly the percentage.

• Anathema777 says:

Right. And I know that everyone is pointing out every possible flaw with this system. But even with that, when you consider the poverty levels in other countries, it makes me feel silly for pouting about my salary.

4. The hand that feeds, now with more bacon says:

Annual income has little to do with how rich you are. Net worth is the real question to ask.

• Al Rognlie says:

Yes, this.
      People confuse income and wealth all the time. You wouldn’t call a retired person with very little income, but millions in the bank poor, nor should you call someone who makes $250,000 a year but has a million in debt rich.
      You call that second person an idiot.

• mommiest says:

Bingo. But most people don’t have a clue what their net worth is, or how to figure it out.

5. JesseRPI says:

Enter 200000 (in USD), and submit. Then enter 200001, and submit.

• Putts says:

After that, try entering $1,000,000,000.

• midwestkel says:

even if you do all 999999999999 you are still 107,565 – so this thing is bullshit now with everyone playing with numbers to see how rich they are.

6. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

When I put my salary in…it laughed at me. Is it supposed to do that; cause I really don’t need that kind of pressure.

7. mythago says:

As has already been pointed out, “annual income” is meaningless. It’s even more meaningless if you confuse “salary” and “income”.

If you look at their methodology, at best this is a way of guessing “where do you fall in terms of income, for certain definitions of ‘income’.” Whoo-wee.

8. Rachacha says:

According to this, I am within striking distance of Bill Gates and Warren Buffet (less than 200,000 behind them). If this is true, why don’t I feel that way! I somehow think this “calculator” is broken.

9. Angus99 says:

Sure, it thinks my salary is low, but it doesn’t take into account the upside of my comic books, baseball cards issued sinced 1990, and Star Wars figures.

10. Corinthos says:

At least I’m in the top billion. :)

11. LiveCheap says:

Hate to say it, but this calculator is pure garbage. Enter in $225,000 and you’ll see that there are only 107,000 people making that amount of money worldwide. There are far more people that make that in the U.S. alone. Heck, there’s probably twice that many people in New York City making that much money where it doesn’t go very far. If you lower it down to 200,000 it jumps up to 700,000 people or so. Still not even close. On an income basis: $225K is about the top 4 or 5 percent. So 4 million people in the U.S. alone make that much and around the world probably 25 million. So the numbers here are way, way off.

The big issue is rich isn’t income it’s net worth and there are something like 3 million millionaires in the U.S. alone.

The point of course is that the average person in the U.S. makes far, far more than the average person in the world. But stats like this are meaningless. If you make $20K in the U.S, you live like a pauper but if you make $20K in Thailand, you live like a King.

• BooBee says:

It is garbage. I entered a billion dollars for kicks and got the same 107,000 figure.

• GirlCat says:

Exactly: Even the most basic necessities, like shelter, food and clothing, will take up the lion’s share of $20K in most parts of the U.S.

I also thought it was weird that only 107,000 made more than $200,000. Now that I see that anything over that number gives you the same result, I agree this is a bullshit calculator created solely to solicit donations. Why not just be honest and say “Look, most Americans live materially comfortable and physically safe lives compared to the majority of people in the world–give a little back.” Don’t lie to get me to donate; it makes me suspicious of your whole organization.

12. jmug says:

Try adding a decimal point. 1000 USD = 2,646,598,709, 1000.01 USD = 39,614,661, 100001 USD = 39,614,661.

Ooops…

13. dreamfish says:

Does it also tell you how happy you will be in relation to income? I don’t think the graph increases exponentially with worth.

14. valen says:

Let’s do some numbers:

$1/year (most CEO salaries): You are the 2,646,598,709 richest person in the world! You’re in the TOP 44.1% richest people in the world! … You can be near the top 50% and still only make $1 a year. Riiight.
    $15.6k/year (52 weeks on $300/week unemployment — not even above the poverty line): You are the 726,528,729 richest person in the world! You’re in the TOP 12.1%
    richest people in the world! … You can even be on unemployment and still be in the top 12%. Riiight.
    $10bn/year (Enough said): You are the 107,565 richest person in the world! You’re in the TOP 0.001% richest people in the world! … Billions and billions of dollars a year and you are still not in the top 10… Or even 100… Ouch.

Status: I think we can call this site BUSTED.

• Limewater says:

I think the 15.6k/year number is very believable. India’s per-capita income is only about a thousand bucks, and that’s a billion people right there. Most of the world is not like North America and Europe.

• Scoobatz says:

What’s also busted is your ability to understand the primary intent behind the link. Overlook the specific number of people ahead of you and, instead, concentrate on how much you make. Sure, there are lots of people making millions of dollars a year. But, if you look at the entire world’s population, if you make more than $50,000, you’re still in the top 1%.

That’s the point. And, yes, money goes a lot further or shorter in certain areas. And, yes, income does not equate to wealth. Point is, you’re probably richer than you think according to this website and should consider making a charitable donation to help those less fortunate.

• valladolid says:

Or you could look here:

15. nbs2 says:

I love that if you make more than $100/year, they try to guilt you into making a donation by claiming you are “richer than you think.”

Awesome.

16. Donathius says:

Anyone else hate the background for that site? I feel like I just got molested by Geocities.

BTW my ranking: 294,782,609

17. kt_ems says:

This made my day! Ended up putting in .01 USD and it said “You are the richest person in the world!”

Too bad it isn’t true.

18. denros says:

It’s definitely based on percentages, not actual individual income statistics. I know for a fact I’m the richest person in the world at 48,000,000,000,000, and it claims there are 107,000+ people richer than I.

Oh, and in case you don’t believe me, and ask who’s on the trillion dollar bill. Go ahead.

Scrooge McDuck, that’s who.

19. Moniker says:

Talk about sending completely the wrong method. Income has nothing to do with wealth.

If you make $5 a week and spend $5 a week you have the same amount at the end of the week as someone who makes $5000 a week and spends $5000 a week.

20. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Yay! I submitted this ^_^

21. madanthony says:

this would be much more interesting if it looked at purchasing power or net worth instead of income.

22. muaddib says:

= 107,565
    You are the 107,565 richest person in the world! You’re in the TOP 0.001%
    richest people in the world!

cool.

23. summeroflove says:

So if I’m making the same thing as someone else, how does that rank then? Can I just decide put myself in front of them just to make myself feel just a little bit more superior??

• summeroflove says:

On a side note, how ironic that a website for determining how rich you are, looks like it was printed via Print Shop for the Apple IIe circa 1986.

24. shepd says:

It needs to be weighted by cost of items in your country. I put in an income of $5,000 CDN, which puts me in the top 15% of the richest people in the world.

$5,000 CDN would feed you, if you had anywhere to cook the food. I suppose you could eat cereal and cold spaghetti. But you would die frozen on the streets within 9 months.

The LICO (for those of you in the US, that’s Canada’s measure for a low-income individuals) for an average family is $40,000 CDN. That puts you in the top 5% of the world, yet in some parts of Canada would provide deplorable conditions that wouldn’t be envied by anyone, anywhere (and in other parts would provide a reasonably decent lifestyle).

I understand the point, but it’s best made more realistically.

25. TardCore says:

This calculator is BS. The intent is good but it compares apples to oranges. Yes $40k for a family of four is a fortune in parts of Africa, but it’s hard to live on for a family in NY or southern CA.

26. PupJet says:

It also goes to note that for some odd reason it doesn’t go above the 107,565th person in the world, regardless of what you put in (I tried $90,000,000,000 and boy do I WISH I made that much in a year!)

27. Conformist138 says:

Load of crap. If they can envy my riches with me grossing $19,100/yr in the US, that means I can also misguidedly envy their ability to make a dollar go so far. As others pointed out, this is apples and oranges. People living on $1,000/yr might long for 20x their income, but they might be in for a shock when they find out what people in the US pay to rent a small room or two in shared housing situations, or what it costs just to get to and from work on a daily basis. I wish I could give more to charity, but the basics of life in the US just cost too much. So, silly website, don’t ask me for the money, I only see it for a day or two after payday. Follow it on, past the working stiffs, to see where this money is ultimately going, then ask them to make the world better.

28. dush says:

So, 49 million people richer than you; 6.5 billion people poorer.
    That’s tough.