Darth Vader GPS Will Turn You To The Dark Side

He used the Force to search for rebel bases and track his errant son. And now Darth Vader can help you locate the nearest interstate — if you’re willing to take a detour to the Dark Side first. Tom Tom has rolled out its first Star Wars GPS voice module, and everyone’s favorite Sith Lord is ready to help you calculate every possible destination. Or, in Ani’s own words: “Go around the roundabout. The circle is now complete.”

Tom Tom plans to release additional Start Wars voice modules in coming months, including Yoda, C-3PO and Han Solo. (No Obi-Wan is planned; so much for our hopes for “this is not the road you’re looking for.”)

While we initially assumed the files were created using clips from the Star Wars films, Tom Tom has proven us wrong, with a video of Darth Vader in the recording studio. We’re not going to give anything away, but we won’t be surprised if “roundabound” becomes the next hot buzzword.

Star Wars Voices [TomTom via Gizmodo]

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Actually makes me want a Tom Tom.

2. pantheonoutcast says:

Would this be the intimidating, iconic Ep. IV-VI Darth Vader, or the whiny, manchild Ep. I – III Darth Vader?

3. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I’m disappointed there isn’t a Chewbacca voice module.

4. cluberti says:

OK, my TomTom is getting a new voice. John Cleese, move over!

• Clyde Barrow says:

I would like to have the female computer voice from the original Star Trek series. Anyone remember that voice? Very storic and simple.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

You mean Majel Roddenberry?

• partofme says:

I would seriously move up my timeframe for a GPS purchase if this was made so.

• Daemon Xar says:

Majel Barret, actually. But in effect, correct.

• Clyde Barrow says:

Yep,,,she is what I was thinking when I posted that comment. I think that her voice as the computer would be awesome.

Or how about Capn Kirk: You . must . turn . now!

• Traveller says:

She married Gene Roddenberry shortly after the original Star Trek ended. Therefore, Majel Roddenberry, though she was more often billed after the marriage as Majel Barrett Rodenberry.

5. PanCake BuTT says:

I hope this kicks off movie theme induced Tom-Tom’s. The possibilities are endless.

6. Xyjar says:

I will finally be making my first GPS purchase.

7. Etoiles says:

We downloaded a GLaDOS voice once for our TomTom. It was absolutely hysterical — but do not, I repeat, do NOT rely on the instructions from that voice if you actually need the GPS to get you somewhere you don’t know how to find. For entertainment purposes only, etc.

• Kitamura says:

Considering the number people who’ve driven their vehicles into areas that are clearly not where they’re supposed to be, I wouldn’t really trust a GPS to navigate me anywhere.

It’s nice to have as a reference, but you definitely shouldn’t just blindly follow it’s advice.

8. Clyde Barrow says:

My comment is a bit off the subject, but since I just got back from vacationing in Europe, here is my experiences with a Tom Tom.

Tom Tom is a great GPS unit. I used a Garmin unit last month while my boss and I drove through DC to Stafford, VA and the unit asked us to get off the main highway 5 times and then to get back onto the highway all the while driving to Stafford. I have heard bad comments about Garmin from my co-workers, but only good comments about Tom Tom.

My Tom Tom never fails me in the States and regarding my experience last month I am glad that I purchased it. I bought the map of France and used it during my vacation to Paris last week and while I had to pay really close attention to my driving, the GPS, and the surrounding area, it got me to where I needed to go EVERY TIME. Being in an unfamiliar city, I needed to drive slow in the right land as not to overdrive the unit because it was difficult at times to match up the actual highway to the map. One time I got off to early on an exit but that was my fault.

I also drove out of Paris to the small towns of Domremy-La-Pucelle and Vancoulers which was a four hours drive but on the way I must have visited a dozen sites and towns. Not one problem getting there or getting back to my hotel. The map was $64.00 and worth every penny based upon the money I save for taxi’s and tour buses (which I hate).

Also, my Tom Tom is a 12v/24v which means it can be used in a European car if it has the higher voltage. Make sure you check your unit before taking it to use. I am not sure if all Tom Toms are wired this way or even if a Garmin is or isn’t. I have a 330SL. I can’t save more than one map inside the unit so I need to delete and reload whatever map I need. Since I live in the States, having my US/Canada map only in my unit is not an issue. I can upload the France map at any time I visit again.

My suggestion: If you ever do this, fly to Europe and get a hotel in a small town and drive to the big city instead of what I did. I think it would be much more fun and less stressful.
    Good job Tom Tom.

• rbb says:

I have found that Garmins ( I have a 660 and 765) will route you on and off the highway depending on how you set your preferences. If you set it to find the shortest route, be prepared to go wandering on back streets. If you set it for the fastest route, then you tend to stay on the main roads.

9. diasdiem says:

Turns out you make a left turn to get to the Dark Side.

10. Scuba Steve says:

I’m still waiting for the Samuel L Jackson GPS voice.

I’d use it for every trip, even places I knew how to get to.

• diasdiem says:

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish, and the tyranny of evil men. Except up here at the next left. Turn there.

• Torgonius wants an edit button says:

And when you miss the turn “I said turn left, mother__cker!”

• diasdiem says:

When you enter your destination, it says “____ ain’t no country I ever heard of! They speak English in ___?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

When you’ve reached your destination, Sam Jackson says, “Get this motherf’n car of this motherf’n road!”

• partofme says:

I lol’d. Though I somehow doubt that’s quite what scuba steve was going for.

• Daemon Xar says:

I think it would not be kid-appropriate. At least I’d hope it wasn’t.

• Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Then he would end up going off on quotes from the bible and the next thing you know…you missed your turn. (Ezekiel 25-17)

11. diasdiem says:

Special Johnny Depp voice directions for Las Vegas: “You can’t stop here, this is bat country.”

12. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

If this were to say when I powered it on “What is your bidding, my master”, and when you decided to go a different way than suggested “I find your lack of faith disturbing,” I’ll buy 3.

• webweazel says:

We have a few GPS units in the family. (We call them all Mona. It’s easier.) I always said they need an “I TOLD YOU SO” button. Just for those guys (yes, GUYS) who think they have better mental directions and end up driving MILES out of the way.

13. Speak says:

My girlfriend has a TomTom with Burt Renyolds voice on it. When you are at your destination it says “My advice to you is stop driving”. She also asked if there would be an R2D2 version of this coming out, not that she would want it, but it might be funny to hear different beeps and boops for right and left. Now I wish I would have gotten a TomTom instead of the one I bought.

14. dorianh49 says:

I downloaded a Zoolander voice for my GPS. All of the directions are right turns.

15. mandarin says:

I actually got the Homer Simpson voice for my TomTom a few months ago and I am deeply annoyed why the sample voice sounds like Homer Simpson but everything else sounds like different. What the hell TomTom? I feel cheated on.
    Never ever buy another TomTom device.

• hardcle says:

I have the Homer voice also and I think it sounds just like him. Now I’m deeply torn, do I keep Homer or do I go to the Dark Side?

16. Erich says:

I might just have to buy a Tom Tom now.

17. ArizonaGeek says:

Guess I am going to be buying a TomTom soon!

18. scoosdad says:

Hope that was James Earl Jones in the Darth Vader outfit. David Prowse sounds nothing like Darth.

19. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Now if only they didn’t charge an arm and a leg for new maps on their already expensive units.

20. Guppy06 says:

Less James Earl Jones, more Rick Moranis.

21. webweazel says:

OHMIGOD. THANK YOU Consumerist for posting this one. *sarcasm* I know my hubs reads this site, and he’s a 35 year old Star Wars FREAK. I have to drag him physically from the SW toys in WalMart. We just bought a Nuvi, but if he sees this, he’s going to want to save his pennies and buy this one just for the vocals. ARGH> We don’t need two!

22. reddish says:

I can’t wait for C-3PO to be available! I love me some Threeps.

23. El_Fez says:

Oooh, do I get this one or do I get the one with William Daniels doing KITT from Knight Rider?

• cash_da_pibble says:

Only if he doesn’t call me Michael.
      That would be kinda weird.

• Tankueray says:

I have that one, it’s awesome, but doesn’t fit in any of the normal dash mounts. It calls you by your name if it’s one that is on the pre-programmed list. Mine is not, so I let it call me Michael.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

He calls you Mr. Matthews.

24. ToKeN2k6 says:

Yeah all these voice are cool, I bought the Homer Simpson one, but at $13 a pop, they become old and annoying..especially when you get ‘lost’ and have to circle back or something, the phrases they say are more than the standard and make you want to tear your unit down. Most of the time I don’t even care to use the voice, and I mean with a radio blasting, its hard to hear anyways..

25. Dhornet7 says:

totally buying this one. I was starting to get tired of Homer giving me bad directions.

26. jeff_the_snake says:

anybody know what models this works with? my girlfriend has one of the really cheap tom toms from about 2 years ago. i think if it’s compatible this might be the compromise that lets her turn it on when i’m in the car.

27. Mike says:

LOL@ “You should have seen his face when I told him I was his father”

I have the Knight Rider GPS. Now if only I had a black eighties TransAm to match. Oh wait, nobody should drive an eighties TransAm…ever.

28. buggurl says:

I have Eddie Izzard on my TomTom, and it’s pretty funny to see the reactions of people the first time he tells us to “stop pissing about,” and “go left, you fool!”

29. Traveller says:

Frickin’ sweet. I know two kids who would love their father’s GPS if he got a TomTom.

30. yankinwaoz says:

Their US website does a terrible job of listing what voices they sell. I can’t find a page that lists them all.

I would love to have a Christopher Walken voice. That would be awesome.