Consumerist Readers Raise $2,500

Thanks! So far you guys have chipped in about $2,500 towards our goal of $10,000. Two days in and we’re already a quarter of the way there. That’s awesome! Each donation makes us stronger so we can keep fighting for you, posting your stories, and getting results, like warranty replacements, fee reversals, and refunds. Feed the beast and tip us $10 (or more) to get us towards $10,000 in two weeks. Make sure that if you’re donating via Paypal, to select “Paypal” as the card type before going onto the next screen, otherwise you could experience an error.

Donate To Consumerist (FAQ)

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I love the irony that Consumerist supports Paypal donations despite some unsavory articles regarding them.

• RickN says:

They probably set up some “donate your change” buckets in Best Buy and Walmart too.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

that’s actually new. i donated several months ago and it wasn’t an option. if i recall, there was some hue and cry about them NOT accepting paypal previously.
      can’t win either way

2. Cant_stop_the_rock says:

I’d rather donate my money to something like cancer research, but I’ll throw in some money if you make Phil go back and fix the factual inaccuracies in all of his articles.

• Cant_stop_the_rock says:

I mean, if I’m going to pay for a product I want one without flaws.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

That’s a little mean, and an opinion-based complaint.

• crazydavythe1st says:

hey, I like how he posts articles that lack real merit. I can then blame the op, since everyone else is too. Just like old times, before the evil commenting rules were created that required my opinion to always support the op’s. actually, I’m kidding – but discussion used to be a little more open, even if we had to deal with “blame the op” trolls.

3. Shield Ramrod says:

Is the PayPal link working yet? I’ll try a third time, but after that, it kind of gets ridiculous.

4. Short_Circuit_City says:

This money is going to pay your Comcast bill, isn’t it? Just kidding, here’s $10 and a firm handshake.

5. ViniTheHat says:

We wouldn’t want to go a day without ground-breaking investigations like “Why Did Starbucks Write “Big Dick” On My Drink Cup?”

• Toffeemama is looking for a few good Otters says:

I know I wouldn’t!

• mastershake407 says:

Or how bad the double down is for us.

• Admiral Byrd says:

Well, until I find another blog that can keep up to date on Target’s pricing errors with thrice weekly postings, I will be submitting LARGE amounts of cash (not gift cards) to consumerist.

6. trixare4kids says:

I will donate if consumerist.com pledges to stop using the canned phrase “Thanks for the tip!” as your polite bush-off for emailed stories you don’t want to use.

• Laura Northrup says:

Actually, I’m open to suggestions for new responses if you have any ideas. I’ve probably sent 10,000 “Thanks for the tip. We’ll check it out!” e-mails at this point.

• AnonyMouse says:

You could try honesty. If you don’t like the story, or it doesn’t seem up to par for the site, just say so. Don’t be overly polite, be direct and honest. If you’re not going to use the story say: “Thank you for your submission, but at this time we will not be using this story.” Boom.

• dragonfire81 says:

I would assume the “Thanks for the tip” is an auto response and after that email is sent out the tips are analyzed and then ones deemed strong enough are posted.

7. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Please indicate the amount I must donate to end the daily Double Down articles. I’ll pay anything!!

8. Tongsy says:

Sorry, I don’t believe in tipping.

9. ThaKoolAidKid says:

Sure, I’ll donate to your Girl Scout troop little girl, just let me just go get my wallet

*tires squeal*

10. Admiral Byrd says:

Do you accept gift cards?

11. MishunAcomplisht says:

Did Consumer Reports dump them, or did someone spend money on the company Amex they didn’t have?

I find it very ironic that Consumerist staff want to fart their way through the day, not researching stories, publishing with typos galore, playing with pictures of cats, and pretty much generally ignore most of the really good leads that get emailed to them, then have the nerve to beg for money like the “product” they put out merits money.

Start blogging like professionals, then we’ll donate.

• GinaLouise says:

So you like this site enough to read it regularly, comment regularly, and apparently e-mail them boatloads of unused tips, but not enough to kick in $10? Wow, you’re a peach.

12. BradenR says: