Citing “dwindling demand,” Sony announced it’s terminating the floppy disk for good. It has already stopped selling the 3.5 inch disks in most areas, and will stop selling them in Japan in March 2011. I have fond memories of copying shareware games to play on my Mom’s Macintosh Plus in the 80’s. Ah, those were more naive times. Share your floppy disk reminisces in the comments.
Sony Kills The Floppy Disk
By Ben Popken April 27, 2010
More From Consumerist
- Raiders of the Lost Walmart Will Accessorize Your Ancient Digital Camera
- The “Floppy Organ” Is An Instrument Made Out Of 49 Floppy Disk Drives
- Don’t Expect To Play Your PS3 Games On A PS4 Anytime Soon
- How Do Video Game Publishers Continue To Get Away With Mistreating Their Customers?
- Sony Pictures Will Pay Up To $8M To Settle Data-Breach Case Brought By Employees