FOX Did Not Pull Its Programming From TWC, Food Network Pulled From Cablevision

After much lambasting and ballyhooing, FOX agreed to keep arguing with TWC over what it charges for the cable company to carry its programming — without pulling the shows as it had threatened to do. Cablevision customers, however, are going to go without Food Network and HGTV.

“We wish Scripps well and have no expectation of carrying their programming again, given the dramatic changes in their approach to working with distributors to reach television viewers,” said Cablevision in a statement

Scripps, the company that owns the channels, says Cablevision isn’t paying enough for them.

Fox, Time Warner Extend Talks in Cable Dispute [WSJ]

Comments

1. NotYou007 says:

So I don’t have to break out the antenna just yet it seems. Would suck though if I cannot DVR a few programs but I can get Fox regardless of the outcome.

2. PaRa02 says:

Well that’s no fun. My parents love the Food Channel.

3. angrychicken says:

The only two decent channels in Cablevision’s Basic Cable package were HGTV and Food Network. And if they do come back I won’t be shocked if they go from Basic to the Digital packages only.

• Bix says:

I’m pretty sure they’re in the most basic package (Other than “Broadcast Basic,” which is made up of the local broadcast channels, public & local access, News 12, and shopping channels that they’re paid to carry), but require the digital box. There’s a distinction.

• wcnghj says:

Hmm, doesn’t sound like basic to me.

Basic= $20/month or less with about 20 channels.

4. Colonel Jack O'neill says:

Anyone got a link, without having to subscribe to read it?

I hate when you post stuff from WSJ, almost all of the stories you can’t read without being a subscriber.

• Lucky225 says:

And yet because of this very fact, you would have never KNOWN about this issue unless consumerist brought it to you since you don’t have a subscription to WSJ

• usa_gatekeeper says:

Actually, I find that with WSJ articles requiring a subscription; if I copy most or all of the WSJ headline and paste it to Google then do a search, 90% of the time I’m able to pull up the entire article. For free.

• Caged Wisdom says:

Ironically, this is the exact reason that Murdoc wants to put his NewsCorp properties (including the WSJ) behind a paywall that Google and other search engines won’t be able to scan. Here’s hoping he’s not successful.

5. CaptZ says:

Of course Fox didn’t pull out. I am glad to see that TW stuck to their guns. Fox are a bunch of blowhards and they knew that no one was buying the bullshit. Fox needs TW more than TW needs Fox.

• Scatter says:

It seems to me that Fox would lose more money by not broadcasting at all on TWC than if they continued on as they were.

6. lincolnparadox says:

There has got to be a link be DirectTV or DISH Network and all of this nonsense with Scripps and Sinclair holding the cable companies hostage.

Granted, most of the cablecorps have been sitting on monopolies for decades. So, I’m not sure that I care enough to dig deeper.

7. Julia789 says:

Nooooooooooooo not Food Network! The whole family enjoys it. :-(

8. justagigilo85 says:

What the fuck? I love the food channel! Damnit!

• Julia789 says:

Yeah I just tuned to it, and there is an announcement on a loop that cuts the channel’s owner to SHREDS in a very polite way… check it out. As much as I will miss the food channel, I laughed out loud at the announcement.

9. d0x360 says:

Im so sick of all these useless channels. Cable cost too much its that simple. When these networks want to charge more to show their content it gets passed on to viewers. Our monthly cable bill is $100 and thats just for TV not the internet.

We watch maybe 8 channels total but we have to pay for all these stupid packages just to get them. Its time to switch to alacart cable, lets see how long crap networks like The Food Channel stay around when they find out only 2% of the market is willing to pay for them.

• richard_toronto says:

You do realize that Food is one of the most popular cable networks, right?
      Neilson shows Food as the 20th most popular cable network in America… and yet of the 79 cable networks Neilson ranks, Food is 75th for revenue received from Cablevision.

Yeah, I’d pull my channels too.

I do agree with you on one thing, though – I hope all of this b***s**t from all of these greedy corps force the FCC’s hand and finally deliver a la carte to the customer.

Thankfully there’s a wealth of other options for those who have the tech savvy: private bittorrent trackers, newsgroups, et al.

Cable providers need to smarten up. Content providers need to wake up.

• soj4life says:

Food Network isn’t one of those niche channels that you are complaining about. They carry alot of shows that people watch. This is just typical Cablevision dicking its customers around. If they didn’t own MSG, they would have folded years ago.

10. gsarnold says:

The only obstacle to going internet-only in my household is that I haven’t convinced my wife yet that we can live without TV and a land line. So, even though this sounds counterproductive, I hope TWC pays Fox whatever they want and raises their rates commensurately. Nothing will speed our exit from TWC’s retarded and overpriced VOIP and Cable packages faster.

11. brooklynconsumerist says:

I don’t care if they drop Fox entirely. However, considering TWC just raised cable rates in Brooklyn and Queens 10%, including the rental rate on my two four year old cable boxes (that are decreasing in value rather than increasing) I don’t have much sympathy for TWC either.

Increased rates here:

Bottom line is both companies are greedy creeps.

• leprechaunshawn says:

You could probably go into a TWC service center and exchange your 4 year old equipment for brand new. Here in SE Wisconsin we have two malls that have a TWC store in them. All you have to do is go in there and give them some line like “my box keeps rebooting itself” and they’ll exchange it for you.

• brooklynconsumerist says:

That’s not really the point. I would imagine many have cable boxes as old or older than I do but they are charging us more for old equipment. Can’t wait until tru2way is available in more cities.

• nybiker says:

I took a look at the site and entered my Queens zip code to get the rates. Yikes, take a look at this. Left-to-right the columns represent the old rate, new rate, dollar difference, and the percentage increase. Disney on Demand increased over 50%. I guess when gotta have it, you gotta have it.
      Me, I am canceling my directv in 2 weeks (I can’t afford it anymore) and going with a digital converter for my OTA stuff.

Basic Service …………………………….. $15.90 $18.40 $2.50 15.72%
      Standard Service …………………………. $44.25 $46.75 $2.50 5.65%
      CableCARD ………………………. $1.75 $2.50 $0.75 42.86%
      Cable/HDTV/DVR/HD-DVR box …… $7.10 $8.75 $1.65 23.24%
      DVR/HD-DVR Service ………………… $10.95 $12.95 $2.00 18.26%
      Digital Programming Duplication (per add’l box) .$3.49 $3.95 $0.46 13.18%
      Disney On Demand …………….. $3.99 $5.99 $2.00 50.13%
      DTValue ……………….. $67.50 $72.95 $5.45 8.07%
      DTV Espanol Double Play (Video & HSO Basic) ……$44.95 $49.95 $5.00 11.12%
      Digital Starter Pak …………………………… $55.95 $59.95 $4.00 7.15%
      DTV Intro …………………………………….. $53.95 $57.95 $4.00 7.41%
      El Paquetazo ………………………………. $34.25 $35.95 $1.70 4.96%

12. Sunflower1970 says:

I was watching New Years’ festivities on Fox just to watch it go off the air…then came 12:01am, 12:02 and Fox was still there. Looked online and saw they decided to be on air for a bit longer.

I was just a tad bummed by this.

13. Kishi says:

If I woke up this morning to find out that a dispute between two companies was leaving me without Good Eats, oh, man, there’d be a reckoning.

Well, there would have been if I had woken up before noon.

14. dwb says:

Check out Cablevision’s bitter statement on their website:

15. BrooklynKnight says:

Ok. Does this mean I can expect a smaller bill next month? Since I no longer receive Food Network, it just makes logical sense I should no longer be paying the same rate.

16. Nitrokart knows CPR and took that guy's wallet says:

The same thing happened with MTV/Viacom/Nickelodeon last year. They threatened to pull networks off TWC by midnight, but by 12:01am, I could still watch SpongeBob (it’s literally on 24/7). The networks pull these publicity stunts to get people to worry about their beloved shows but for whatever reason – as if the network execs gain some kind of logic just in time – realize that cuttings millions of viewers off would be piss off the consumers and the advertisers, would result in only bad press and less money.