New Time Zone Discovered: BKST (Burger King Standard Time)

Ihsan says his lunch plans were foiled because he forgot to synchronize his watch to the 18-minutes-slow BKST.

He writes:

Today I had to take an early lunch and I stopped by Burger King for a Whopper. The lady at the drive-thru informed me that they do not server lunch until 10:30. I then let her know that it was already 10:30. She then explained that the computers at Burger King said that it was 10:12.

I thought that is strange let me go inside and verify this information. The man inside let me know the same thing. Their computers are set to a different time then the rest of the world. Is there a reason for this?

Good news for those who can’t get enough of New Year’s excitement — after you’re done partying in the advent of your own 2010, hustle over to Ihsan’s Burger King to spend a few more precious moments in 2009 before celebrating all over again at 12:18 a.m. your time.

Comments

1. 339point4 says:

I assume they are behind so that all the late-sleepers rushing to order breakfast at 10:30am can still get it. Sort of like how bars set their clocks 10 min ahead to get all the late drinkers out before they have to be legally closed.

• DontBeAChild says:

Hu? Why not just serve breakfast until 10:42, or God forbid 11:00AM. That makes no sense…

• wrjohnston91283 says:

The computers are probably programmed wrong and none of the cashiers knows how to change it / cares enough to do so.

• sven.kirk says:

The cashier are probably stuck on a dumb terminal and can’t change a thing on the computer.
        But if I was a cashier there, I still wouldn’t care about it. Being paid little to slop food about. I’d do my shift, then leave fast as possible

2. pecan 3.14159265 says:

So did he haggle and get his early lunch, or did they make him wait until it was 10:30 in the Burger Kingdom?

• Beef Supreme says:

This all sounds suspiciously like a plot point from a movie…

Tell me, did you order a Whammy Burger by any chance?

3. madanthony says:

If I set the clock at work behind by 20 minutes, I wonder if I can convince my boss I’m on time and not late…

• dwb says:

You don’t need to change the clock – just tell your boss you will be leaving early that day to make up the time.

4. TailsToo says:

It’s really hard to mircowave that burger compared to mircowaving that sausage patty.

• Ecks says:

Whoppers are FLAME-BROILED!

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

Ever microwave a lit candle before? It’s pretty awesome.

• viper2000 says:

Yeah, an hour before they are served. Then they are microwaved. As is everything else.
        The bottom bun, patty (burger, sausage, chicken, etc) and cheese are thrown in the microwave for 15-20 seconds while the burger flipper (me, formerly, for about 6 months about 6 years ago) prepare the top bun with all its topings like week old mayo, and wilted lettuce.

5. thriceberg says:

I get this all the time, but at night when they switch over from burgers to breakfast food. They claim they stop serving burgers at 4am and switch over to breakfast, but depending on the day that could be 4, 3:30, or even as early as 3 AM. As someone who finishes work at 3 AM and occasionally stops by Burger King to grab an early-morning supper, it can get irritating.

6. DoubleEcho says:

Kind of off topic, but I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one who keeps mistyping serve as server. I don’t know if it’s because I’m in the IT field but I catch myself doing that all the time.

7. ConsumerWolf says:

A whopper any time of the day is disgusting enough…but a whopper at 10:30am? I think I’m going to be sick.

• menty666 says:

We have a pizza place around here that opens around 10 in the morning for lunch. I thought that a little odd too and actually asked about it. They mentioned they get a lot of “early” lunch business from the postal workers across the street who have been working since 4 am.

Maybe the OP’s in a similar situation.

8. Pizza Club says:

All of the Burger Kings around me serve burgers during breakfast. I thought that was standard.

• theyoungandthebetrayed says:

I thought so too. I’m not a fan of fast food breakfasts so I always go to a Burger King and get a lunch instead. Never had a problem.

9. bigd738778 says:

BK is behind, McDonalds is ahead. McDonalds breakfest is over at 10:30 but several times I’ve went in at 10:20 to order breakfest to only be told that they have already started serving lunch. They said that the changeover takes time and they stop making most breakfest items by about 10:15 and then start making lunch items. So whatever leftovers they have from the breakfest menu is all you can have until 10:30.

10. zomgorly says:

I am kind of surprised BKST is not part of their marketing plan.

11. elangomatt says:

I thought Burger King served whoppers any time they were open. I know I used to go get a whopper once or twice a year at 8am back when I used to have to drop my mother off at work a few years ago. Maybe they changed their policy.

12. Starfury says:

This is why I go to Jack in the Box. I can get whatever I want from the menu any time.

Unless they’re out of something…like curly fries at 5pm on a weeknight.

13. ShruggingGalt says:

Thank goodness they don’t serve alcohol! I’d hate to be the employee arrested for breaking the law by ringing up a sale outside of proper hours even though the register controls it!

14. stang99 says:

I think its telling you that you shouldnt be eating at BK at all, most of their food is the unhealthiest out of all the burger chains

15. settsu says:

Because fast food employees aren’t humans earning minimum wage and can operate on a robotically perfect schedule so you won’t have to WAIT 15 MINUTES FOR YOUR MOTHERFCKNG HAMBURGER.

• RvLeshrac says:

^— THIS.

Also, if you’ve ever been fired/reprimanded for showing up “late” because the clocks at your workplace are wrong, you know that most companies don’t understand that the United States has an official time, with servers and radio signals to help you set your clocks.

• Alter_ego says:

When I worked at the sharper image, the computer time was wrong in our favor. They always said it was 15 minutes earlier than the rest of the world, so we were never late

16. morganlh85 says:

That’s funny, usually fast food places have clocks that run fast, and when I want breakfast at 10:12am, they claim they are already serving lunch. Go figure.

17. pantheonoutcast says:

So, did the customer get his lunch or not!? I need closure on this anecdote!

18. Guppy06 says:

Show them the time on your cell phone. If they don’t believe it, use said cell phone to dial (303) 499-7111, put it on speaker phone, and wait for at most a minute. You may also want to mention that “civil time” is a matter of state and federal law, and not selling lunch items at the posted hour may be considered false advertising (not to mention potential legal problems with employees clocking in or out).

I can understand their clocks being off by as much as five minutes, give or take, but being off by nearly a third of an hour during this era of cheap radio-controlled timepieces and NTP is unforgivable.

I hope for their own sake that their computers don’t use the same clocks as their security cameras.

• oloranya says:

At which point the cashier will shrug, and tell you there’s nothing they can do. They’ll then add you to their mental list of asshole customers and tell their friends about the jerk bitching at them about the clocks being a little off.

19. scoosdad says:

Can’t set the clocks right… I’ll bet they can’t program their VCRs either.

20. dg says:

Anyone ever remember the Kurt Douglas movie “Falling Down”? It’s very apropos to this situation…

21. rm1x says:

How is this a story?

Anyway, at Hungry Jacks here (Australian burger king) we can order anything off the menu at breakfast time, but the breakfast items are only available until 11am.

Nothing like a double whopper with cheese for brekky!

22. fusilier says:

Sounds like a good way to make workers stay an extra 20 minutes. I seem to think that’s probably not legal.