FCC Chair Spams Facebook Friends

His account apparently compromised by a spammer’s program, FCC chair Julius Genachowski sent out a message this morning to all his Facebook friends that said, “Adam got me started making money with this.” Adam Smith perhaps? We’ll never know, as the website Julius linked to is now unavailable.

Coming as a huge blow to his 300+ Mafia Wars posse, Facebook has deactivated Genachowski’s account and, just like everyone else, Julius will have to go through a multi-step rehabilitation program that involves learning how to be a good and safe internet user. In an unrelated new story, the Federal government is expected to take greater interest in 2010 in how Facebook makes money selling ad space to blatant ripoffs.

Whoops! F.C.C. Chairman Spams Facebook Friends [NYT] (Thanks to Harrelson!)

Comments

1. dragonfire81 says:

I always thought anyone could advertise just about anything on Facebook as long as they pony up the cash…

2. CreativeLinks says:

Damn, now I won’t be able to follow his Mafia Wars updates.

3. Commercials I Hate says:

If we can’t teach THAT guy not to enter his password on a non-Facebook site, then my 60-year-old mom is pretty much hopeless.

• Dondegroovily says:

He might have been genuinely hacked, aka, no password entered anywhere.

• gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

“genuinely hacked” means either
        (a) his password was guessed via a dictionary or brute-force attack. which means that he should have had a more complex password. or
        (b) someone managed to compromise the facebook user database which is incredibly unlikely.

while (a) is plausible, it’s much more likely that he fell for a phishing attack (“welcome to facebok.com! please enter your password to continue”)

4. MauriceCallidice says:

Now if only Facebook would re-allow me to not spam my friends’ feeds with “[MauriceCallidice] and [Joe Schmoe] are now friends” updates. NOBODY CARES. It’s just useless filler which users used to be able to keep from posting automatically. Not anymore.

• AngryK9 says:

There is a (sort-of) work-around for that which you could give to your friends. On that little menu on the left hand side of the screen, where there are links to “Status Updates”, “Photos”, “News Feed”, etc…if you put your cursor over the little hash-mark box image thing (that makes your cursor turn into a four-pointed directional arrow), you can drag those links around and put them in any order you want.

If you move “Status Updates” to the top of that list, that will make the “Status Updates” page the page that always loads by default when you return to Facebook. All you will see then is your friends status updates, and not all those other updates. If your friends are annoyed by all the superfluous information that shows up, this is one way to sort of make it look like it did before the changes. Sort of…

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Whee! I was on FB when I read your comment and I did it. Thanks! :)

• myrna_minkoff says:

Or you can just turn off that notification. Facebook does have that as an option.

• MauriceCallidice says:

They no longer have an option to turn off publishing your own “are now friends” notifications. They only have options for viewing what others publish.

• MauriceCallidice says:

My problem is not that I don’t want to see other people’s activity so much as that I don’t want to publish that activity. Facebook used to have that as on option, under the now-defunct “Feeds” preferences. Now there’s no way to stop FB from publishing everything you do, such as adding a friend, commenting on other posts, becoming a fan, etc.

5. NigerianScammer says:

Haha, I just got one of these spam messages a few hours ago. Props to consumerist for the Adam Smith bit, I actually used that when responding to the spammer.

6. thebt1 says:

I can guarantee that stopping this spam will be one of the FCC’s greatest priorities this year, lol. It’s sad how it has to affect a person in charge before they’ll actually do anything about it.

7. sonneillon says:

I am afraid of facebook and yet everybody I know is on it. I might have to join the collective. Resistance is futile.

• EtherealFlame says:

NO NO NO! I refuse to be the only person on earth that detests being a member of that wretched thing! I vote to have it renamed to “stupid appsgamesandclickyshit” book.

• DrRonster says:

No to any and all social networking sites. I have told my wife not to put anything about me, including any photos of me on that POS facebook.

8. AJ_Syrinx says:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

9. DrRonster says:

Why is he on facebook? That alone should terminate his FCC job!