Fight At Delta JFK Among Passengers, Not Directed At Airline?

Remember that passenger fight at Delta JFK last week? According to an airport employee who witnessed the fight, it wasn’t passengers venting on airport employees. Rather, the travelers (described as “the entire nation of Haiti”), who, yes, had been waiting for their flight to Haiti for four days, started to “brawl” amongst themselves. When a few TSA employees tried to break it up, “they got thrown around.”

PREVIOUSLY:
JFK Delta Terminal A Living Hellhole, Cops Called To Quell Crowds
Delta Responds To JFK Clusterfracas

Comments

1. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Not really a surprise. Someone probably tried to queue jump

2. pecan 3.14159265 says:

JFK should just open a Thunderdome Terminal, and all the cranky, restless people can go pummel each other. Announcements can be made between bouts, and people can make their bets while they’re waiting for their flights.

• Beef Supreme says:

+1!

Two men enter, one man leave!

• Kishi says:

Oh, then it’ll be just another excuse for the airlines to overbook. “I’m sorry, unless you defeat one of the other passengers in mortal combat, we don’t have a seat for you on the plane.”

3. dg says:

I could see that – sitting in ANY airport for four days would drive even the most saintly to the brink of insanity. While waiting for a flight one time, I had a woman in a wheelchair repeatedly riding back and forth around the room. EVERY TIME she came by, she whacked into my leg, or luggage, etc (and no, it wasn’t in the way – she was just a complete fool). After she did it for the 6th time, I finally said – “Excuse me, could you not run into me or my luggage?”

She started yelling at me. Finally her caretaker came by and I explained what the deal was and they went and sat on the other side of the area… That was just ONE day, during a one hour period.

Over the course of the next several hours, you have screaming babies, uncontrolled children, people passed out asleep and snoring/drooling, the fact that you have to take ALL your crap with you when you go to hit the head, pricey food, no way to stretch out and sleep…

The pressure builds and builds… Now stir in 1,000 other lost and trapped souls over a holiday weekend and you’ve got a recipe for not wanting to listen to Uncle Joe’s crap any more and BOOM! Let’s get it on!

TSA? Screw you.. this is family and you ain’t got no blood with us… less’un you don’t get the hell away from here…

Oh yeah, it had to be hell on Earth…

4. LostTurntable says:

If I poke someone for four days and then they punch someone else who pokes them once then I can’t say that I had nothing to do with the fight. One day someone’s going to kill someone at an airport because of BS like this.

5. Nemtynakht says:

My boyfriend was at the Delta terminal that day, trying to fly to Chicago. He was delayed (and delayed… and delayed… and delayed) due to weather.

Delta dropped the ball on this one, period. They weren’t giving passengers any answers. Every time he and I talked, I could hear other passengers – crowds of them – screaming at the agents. Not because they were unreasonable passengers, but because their flight had been canceled and they had been given no other information than what appeared on the gate monitor (and then that disappeared once the next flight out of that gate’s turn came up).

Their 800-numbers weren’t any better: an agent refused to give me her name and then hung up on me when I tried to get information about his flight. (She actually said, “I do NOT have to tell you my name – I said it at the beginning of the call – I am NOT going to tell you again.”)

6. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

One thing I don’t get is WHY they don’t have lockers in the secure area in the airport. I spent 4 hours in Chicago midway walking back and forth from one end of the terminal to the other, dragging my luggage behind me. I would’ve been SO MUCH HAPPIER if I could’ve found a locker. I understand not making them publicly accessable because people could plant whatever the fuck. But if it was through security, whats the harm?

• Paladin_11 says:

They used to have lockers. They were removed as an anti-terrorist measure in the ’80s. Same as garbage cans were removed from subway platforms, etc. Can’t have people planting bombs in them.

• dg says:

Yeah, but if the lockers are INSIDE the “sterile, secure” area, shouldn’t this not be a concern?

Then again, this is Alstaire Fitch with today’s episode of “Security Theater”, brought to you by the TSA…. TSA, a division of USA Homeland Security, creators of the Rainbow Wheel of Terror! Do you know your terror color today?

and Kraft. Kraft… makers of fine cheese… Calcium rich, and good for you!

And now back to Security Theater… As the scene opens, we see our humble traveler about to endure the dilemma of choosing a line behind the family of dilweeds, or the senior citizens who can’t reach down to take off their shoes… Let’s see what’s about to happen…

7. jesusofcool says:

Four days! Man I am so dreading my flight next week…thankfully I’m taking Southwest.

• oloranya says:

I just flew southwest for the first time this past week to and from Florida. They had the best flight attendants ever :D, and I’m totally digging the no-assigned-seats deal.

8. phonic says:

Wait, people actually WANT to go back to Haiti? I think they started fighting because they realized where the plane was taking them.

9. sven.kirk says:

I remember in the ealier post that he was trying to get back to Haiti on a non-revenue standby pass.
    I’m sorry but he had no right to get mad. In a high travel season, paying travelers get priority. I have flown buddy pass / non-revenue many times, and they usually have available seating charts to let you know your CHANCES when you are booking your flight.

Even if there are available seats, it does not mean you are getting a seat. Often, airlines take cargo, occupying the empty seat ‘weight’.