Consumerist Is A Non-Profit. You Can Give Us Money And Deduct It.

Hello there. The deadline for donating money to a wonderful non-profit such as Consumerist.com (for your 2009 taxes) is basically here. (Consumer Media LLC, a not-for-profit Delaware limited liability corporation, publishes The Consumerist.) That is why you should give us some money. Also: there are other reasons.

Here are 3:

1) We do investigative journalism. (Now with professional fact checking! Thank you, Consumers Union!)

2) We break interesting news stories and sometimes even get credit for doing so.

3) We take no outside advertising, corporate sponsorships, or free products. Consumerist is not brought to you by Monsanto, Archer Daniels Midland, or Mangurt.

Also good to know: Your donations will be used solely to fund the operations of The Consumerist. Seriously.

Yes, you can continue to enjoy Consumerist without donating. No, we’re not going anywhere. But if you’d like to support the sort of independent work we are doing, and help us expand the site, the best way you can do that is by sending us a few dollars.

Even a buck is appreciated, and you can rest at night knowing that you are helping to exacerbate the existing gastrointestinal issues that currently plague many of our nation’s finest CEOs.

If you’ve already given us money, thank you. We are attempting to send you hugs over the internet, but the science isn’t quite there yet.

Frequently Asked Questions [Consumer Media LLC]
DONATE [Consumerist]

Comments

1. Coles_Law says:

It’s just as well, really. Even if you did perfect Hugs over Internet Protocol (HoIP), ISP’s would throttle it, causing hugs to time out.

2. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i was wondering about the deductibility. cool.
    when i added my consumerist donations to my cat rescue [cash] donations the amount i gave to my friend’s charity walk and estimated my tax return, it added back a whole lot suddenly. asked a finance friend who said that $400 is the magic number for changing your rate of deductibility.
    and no, i have no idea why or how the math works that way. but turbo tax estimator tool is making promises. i have yet to test it with the IRS because i never had that much spare money to give away
    now the real question is : will my emailed receipts satisfy the IRS should i get audited or should i save the copies of the ‘thank you for donating, now give us some more’ mail i get from your parent organization as proof?

• myrna_minkoff says:

“your rate of deductibility”

I don’t understand what you’re saying. Charitable donations are deductible from your income — there is no variable rate that applies.

• myrna_minkoff says:

“your rate of deductibility”

• hypnotik_jello says:

Well, I think charitable donations about $X the IRS requires documentation, so maybe that’s it?

3. MikeF74 says:

Delaware?

Et tu, Consumerist? Et tu?

4. HogwartsProfessor says:

I’d be happy to send some if I had some. Along with a case of oatmeal for the cat!

5. GC says:

But I love Mangurt!

6. montusama says:

I would donate some money if I had any. I would however make sure you had to spend it on a “consumerist party” though.

7. Tomas says:

What? No PayPal? I’m disappointed. :o(

8. MooseOfReason says:

“Independent” work.

Mmmmm… You guys almost had me sold.

9. kramthegram says:

I gave 50 bucks when you did the Cash 4 Gold article. The more hard reporting you do the more I’ll donate. Love the post of consumer generated content(no pun intended), but I’ll PAY for real journalism. Keep it up.

10. DoubleEcho says:

Now wait a minute – “Your donations will be used solely to fund the operations of The Consumerist.”. That had better include Starbucks oatmeal for your cat too! We all know he does some top quality work and I’m not giving a dime unless I know he has only the best breakfast. :)

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

That stuff doesn’t come cheap, either. I hope someone in there drinks a lot of regular drip because they’ll have to take advantage of the breakfast coffee/oatmeal combo!

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

They just need to get some coupons and they’re good to go.

11. gamehendge2000 says:

Is there anyone asking to see my donation receipt?