Staples Cashier: You Need A Warranty Because All Of Our Electronics Are Crap

Jack in New York went to his local Staples store to buy a GPS, and writes that he ran across a novel sales pitch for extended warranties. According to this cashier, the electronic devices that Staples sells are so terrible, customers have no choice but to buy an extended warranty from Staples.

He writes:

I went to Staples, a few weeks after the BF mob had disappeared, and found the GPS I wanted. Same price, no problem. They had none on the shelf, but the friendly sales person found one for me in the stockroom. While ringing it up, he strongly suggested that they had a special price on 2-year extended warranties, and that I should purchase one.

I don’t believe in extended warranties. My late brother sold appliances, and always told me that they’re pretty much a racket. I asked the Staples cashier if he thought I really needed one. “Oh, yes,” he said, “we have a lot of problems with these products!”

“Hmmm,” said I, “that doesn’t sound like an ideal sales pitch.” It brought to mind Honest Anthony at the local auto emporium, telling me that my shiny new V-8 luxury SUV would be a pile of rusted junk before I finished my payment book unless I bought the rustproofing detailing superwax special. Salesmanship.

“Well”, said the Staples Supersalesman, with a strange look on his face as he realized what I was saying, “it is an electronics product, and we are featuring our extended warranty at our special price.”

I bought the GPS anyway.

Well, at least he didn’t turn around and go to Best Buy.

Comments

1. suburbancowboy says:

When you pay people low wages, you get what you pay for.

• coren says:

I think it’s more the bonuses they tack on for selling those stupid things

• Noir says:

or the fact that they’re forced to sell those stupid warranties and risk their jobs if they chose not to

• oloranya says:

Bingo. Cashiers are judged on their ability to sell extended warranties and get credit cards, sometimes more than their actually ringing abilities.

• idip says:

Yep. I know I made a certain retailer about a thousand dollars in various warranty plans in a two week period.

Everyone is so quick to say “incentives!” or “commission!”

Nope, I didn’t see one dime.

But the next week when I only sold a couple of warranties I got a ‘discussion’ with my manager about how I was not performing as the business needed. Bleh.

• suburbancowboy says:

There is a right way to pitch extended warranties, and a wrong way. When you pay better wages you attract better sales help who are smart enough to know a good pitch.

• Scatter says:

The only bonus that you’ll get at Staples is that they’ll allow you to keep your job.

2. coren says:

I always look forward to Black Friday, when I can commence my Christmas Shopping online from my own home. I found the GPS I wanted at a good price, but it was also available at my local Staples store. Now, I often shop at Staples–they have some good sales–so long as you know what you want. I went to Staples, a few weeks after the BF mob had disappeared

…so he was doing BF shopping, then weeks later decided to get the item he wanted? I don’t quite follow…

• Winteridge2 says:

Maybe he wanted to make sure he missed the “Happy Holiday” Mob. Give them a couple of weeks to settle down.

• Sneeje says:

I think he found the item he wanted while shopping on BF online and decided to pick it up at Staples at his leisure later.

3. JoeDawson says:

Honestly this is how i feel about extended warranties…

If it lasts the full year of the Manufacturers warranty, it is likely to continue to work. Defects in products will definitely show up within that first year.

• thisistobehelpful says:

Actually loads of stories featured on Consumerist provide evidence to the contrary. The first year is basically as long as most products are likely guaranteed to work. They fail sometimes as little as a few days out of warranty.

• zacox says:

That’s why I always purchase everything with a Platinum credit card. Mine (and most, still) doubles the manufacturer’s initial warranty up to an additional year on anything you buy with it. So that GPS would be under warranty for two years. Ive used it several times and all those times got a new product out of it.

• ShadowFalls says:

The sad part is that manufacturers are slicing their warranty periods down. Some even as short as 90 days.

4. Winteridge2 says:

Would that be a “Made In China” electronics product, by any chance?

• PresidentBeeblebrox says:

Naw. Surely it was made in the Philco radio plant in Philadelphia, the GE appliance plant in Schenectady, or the Sylvania lightbulb plant in Cleveland… wait, wut? They all closed or moved to Asia? You don’t say…

The only real question is whether it was made in China, South Korea, or Taiwan.

• Awjvail says:

Um.. yeah.

Duh.

• Rayon Fog says:

Why do people automatically assume “Made In China” means that a product is junk?

Chinese factories manufacture products according to strict specifications set forth by the contracting company. If the product is crap, it has nothing to do with the fact that it’s made in China. My company makes products in China (among other countries), and the fact is, the Chinese-made products are of better quality than the American-made products.

• shepd says:

Because even when the products are made to those tight specifications, you still end up with things like this happening:

So, even when China does make good stuff (Most people would agree Cisco stuff from before the Linksys purchase was good quality), you can still end up stuck with gear that has no warranty.

• jamar0303 says:

Then your company got lucky. Three members of my family are in the manufacturing business in China (fairly high up), and if you listened to the stories they told you’d understand just how lucky.

• Rayon Fog says:

It’s not luck at all. The companies I’ve managed over the years have collectively contracted with 14 different Chinese factories. If the contracting company doesn’t practice it’s due diligence in making sure manufacturing specs are strictly adhered to, then they are just asking for trouble. In virtually all cases, once those specs have been established, these factories get it right more often than not. Sure, we monitor quality once the goods land back in the US. But in most cases, we have had fewer problems with the Chinese-made goods than we have with the US-made goods.

I’d absolutely say you or your family has been more unlucky than my colleagues and I have been lucky. The four Chinese factories I currently do business with are as professional and detail-conscious as any factory I’ve ever encountered in my 25 years in the business.

• Bob Lu says:

EVERYTHING is made in china, bad or good.

Mostly bad, for companies set their factories in china for cheap labor, not high quality.

In the other hand, the companies set their factories in Us are not aiming for quality either. They just prey on the suckers who think US made still means quality.

5. dragonfire81 says:

We sell a certain electronic product at work that is a piece of crap. We’ve seen so many of them break and come back that even our store manager tells customers they are better off buying a different version of the item. Corporate is aware of the high failure rate of the items and is apparently investigating ways to make them more reliable but this has been going on a year now and nothing has really changed.

• Winteridge2 says:

If you know it is crap, why not warranty it for more than 30 days? Or even, gasp, take it off the market and send it back to the engineers.

• dragonfire81 says:

I agree with you 100% and I have already complained to corporate about it but evidently my concerns don’t carry a lot of weight. You’d think they’d pay more attention to someone who, you know, deals with their customers face to face all the time and can see the end result of whatever penny pinching decision they made that resulted in the problems with the product.

• Seanumich says:

The store selling the item does not determine the warranty. Many companies sell very inexpensive items that are crap, but consumers demand the cheapest. People need to learn the difference between price and value. Price is what you pay, value is what you get. If the manager and employee try to warn you, and then you still choose to buy the cheapest because you think they are trying to upsell you, then too bad for you

6. bigd738778 says:

I know that some stores give the employees a “Spiff” of like .50 to a $1.00 for every extended warranty that they sell. So the employee is trying what they can to make a little extra.

• lesbiansayswhat says:

In my experience (mine and my friends) employees don’t get that little extra but are told they have to ask. Not sure if they’d fire the employee but I don’t many are willing to risk it now. I don’t know about Staples though.

• Scatter says:

Staples stopped offering “Spiffs” to their associates a few years ago. Again, the only motivation to selling warranties now is the motivation to keep your job.

7. GMFish says:

the friendly sales person found one for me in the stockroom…

What I find shocking is that a sales associate actually found the product you were looking for in the stockroom.

8. Ouze says:

These places have no incentive to do better if you buy the item anyway. Why serve steak when they’ll eat shit?

• Seanumich says:

That is just wrong. There is a market for those who want to eat hamburger, and those that want steak, and those that want lobster. I bet you are not driving a rolls or other super high end automobile because people make price value decisions.

• Ouze says:

I don’t think any tier of employee, even the lowest, should be selling warranties by claiming that their shoddy merchandise breaks easily. I don’t think any reasonable person would consider that acceptable.

9. Optimistic Prime says:

We had a similar experience at Staples when buying an Acer laptop. It was recommended we buy a warranty because “it is an Acer.” Um–thanks, but we’ll pass. One day I would love to go oh well if it’s that bad I won’t be buying it at all and walk out of the store.

• AngryK9 says:

I have two Acer monitors in front of me and have never had a problem with them. Both are well out of warranty and are working just as fine as the first day I brought them home. Best Buy tried to sell me $70 warranties on both which I refused to buy. The casier actually had the gall to tell me that I’d be “sorry” for not getting the warranty…

• AJ_Syrinx says:

If a cashier tells me I’ll be sorry for not buying an extended warranty, I’d tell them they should be sorry for losing a sale and leave the product at the register. I would then walk out.

Of course you might have needed the monitors at that moment and had not much choice other than ignore the idiot cashier.

So those Acer monitors are working out, huh? I’ve been tempted to buy one of them, but I always change my mind.

• JamieSueAustin says:

The only warranty I ever bought was on an Acer. I certainly used that one.

• Scatter says:

That’s fair. but if it DOES break a month after the Acer warranty expires don’t expect the retail store to take care of you.

• idip says:

LOL.

I’ve had that happen a couple of times.

Obviously we couldn’t do anything because they didn’t buy our warranty.

They obviously…. left very very VERY angry.

10. Corinthos says:

Makes me mad when they do this sometimes. Radioshack tried to tell me I needed an extended warranty on a phone that only covered manufacturer defects, not lost, stole or physical damage for over 100 bucks. The guy told me the phones are known to had problems and I would need itso I was like well I don’t want a phone with problems and decided against it. Ordered the phone on amazon and had it for around a year and no problem yet.

11. theblackdog says:

This is a pretty standard pitch from the sales people trying to pressure not so savvy customers into buying an extended warranty. A few years ago when I was at a Best Buy in Las Cruces, NM helping a friend buy her first computer, we had to endure about 20 minutes of extended warranty pitches which included telling us that about half the computers they got were dead out of the box and such.

We still bought the computer anyway, without the warranty, it’s still running fine five years later.

12. MsAnthropy says:

Pretty much exactly what I was told at Lowe’s when buying a washer and dryer a couple of years ago. I politely turned down the extended warranty, and the cashier seemed to take offence. He said “may I ask why?”, and then proceeded to tell us that we’d be fools not to pay for the extended warranty as our new purchases were virtually guaranteed to start malfunctioning within a couple of months. I’d researched the purchase enough beforehand to know that this was just a particularly bad, scaremongering sales pitch for the warranty, but responded with something to the effect of “if these appliances are so notoriously unreliable, perhaps they’re a bad choice and I should rethink my purchase….?” – salesguy got that above-mentioned “strange look” as it seemed to dawn on him that it’s maybe not a great idea to tell customers that the expensive goods they’re purchasing are total crap. He gave up on the sales pitch after that. I’m very happy with the washer and dryer, and despite Mr. Lowes Salesguy’s dire warnings, they haven’t spontaneously combusted due to sheer shittiness. Funny that.

• Scatter says:

Threatening to not purchase an item if it’s “that bad” really isn’t an effective threat any more. In most of the stores in my district we’d rather not even sell a laptop if we can’t sell it with a service plan. We’re judged as associates based on the percentage of service plan dollars we sell compared to electronics that we sell. If you buy a laptop and no plan it hurts our numbers more than if you didn’t buy the laptop at all.

• MsAnthropy says:

I wasn’t really threatening – well, not threatening at all, in fact, as I knew exactly what I wanted to buy, and knew exactly why the guy was giving me this whole line about how I absolutely had to buy the warranty. I just wanted to get on with my purchase and thought it was kind of ridiculous (although not surprising, I guess) that the sales pitch for the warranty would involve trying to convince the customer that what they’re buying is guaranteed not to work properly.

Interesting though that (on laptops, at least) customers buying the item without the warranty would be worse than their not buying the laptop at all. It must be tedious having to try to talk unwilling customers into handing over extra cash for something they don’t want, certainly!

• Scatter says:

You see, the people that visit this website aren’t a good example of the regular customer in many retail stores. Obviously (according to what I read here at least) everyone that visits the Consumerist are competent computer technicians and can find replacement parts for next to nothing so they clearly don’t need a warranty. On the other hand most of my customers wouldn’t know where to get a replacement system board for their HP notebook let alone know how to replace it their self.

A lot of customers read bad press about extended warranties from sites like this but remember, people are much more likely to complain when something doesn’t work than they are to compliment when something does. Extended warranties work for a lot of people as much as people here may hate to admit it.

• CompyPaq says:

And that’s the reason Consumerist stays in business

• SpeedyCat says:

As far as a clothes dryer, I wouldn’t be too concerned. Now, if I got a washing machine, especially a HE (front-loader) model, I’d spring for a longer warranty if it included service. My dad had the plastic “spider” that held the wash bucket break, and it was a miserable experience to try and fix. Those front-loaders are very mechanically complicated and a bear to fix.

• webweazel says:

Quite a few years ago, we bought a washer/dryer at Lowe’s and DID get the extended warranty. But it seems to have been different then. It wasn’t too expensive, and it was good for like 5 years. We DID have some troubles with the washer and we called the number for service. An INDEPENDENT repair company came out, fixed the trouble, and we weren’t charged a dime. One other time we had trouble with it again in another city, and another INDEPENDENT repair company came out to fix it. If this was the norm, and not the store’s own incompetent nincompoops doing repairs, I would jump on extended warranties in a heartbeat.

13. kujospam says:

I thought it was standard definition that when you sell extended warranties you are saying don’t trust our products.

14. dwasifar says:

The one time I considered buying a computer at Staples, the girl kept coming back to trying to sell me the extended warranty rather than actually telling me anything about the computer. I’d ask a technical question about the computer, she’d dodge it and then start talking about the extended warranty again. Finally I just left without buying anything, and ordered the computer direct from Dell online instead.

15. AngryK9 says:

I have always refused to purchase extended warranties on anything I buy. Nothing has come back to bite me yet….

16. tekmill says:

Keep in mind that there are all different kinds of warranties. Is there anything out there that states what are the best warranties to buy? Best bang for your buck? And worse? And also since different companies offer different warranties?

• Sneeje says:

Well, extended warranties are effectively gambling. If you own 20 electronic products and don’t buy ext warranties for all of them, you are gambling that the ones you do buy them for will be the products that fail earlier than expected.

For an extended warranty to be a good value, one of three things must be true: it is a product that you use the hell out of and will need servicing more often than the average person, or you know the product has a higher-than-average failure rate but you prefer it for some reason, or you cannot afford to service the product or replace it if it breaks within the period covered by the warranty. If none of the above are true, you should skip it.

• Laura Northrup says:

See: Applecare for Notebooks

17. HogwartsProfessor says:

I’ve only ever bought one, for an iPod, and it didn’t cover someone stealing it, which happened. That was way before I ever saw this site.

Usually I don’t buy them because I can’t afford it. When I bought my TV at CC, the sales guy steered me to a less expensive model and I was able to afford the surround sound too. He asked me if I wanted the warranty on the surround system and I said no thanks, I didn’t have any more money. He didn’t ask again.

18. CompyPaq says:

When my parents were buying a Minivan, the person in the financial department (which also sells the warranties) told them that with all the electronic components in cars now-a-days, the Van would break right after the regular warranty expired. My father told the guy that he had done his research and if he thought that the car wasn’t going to last, he wouldn’t buy it.

Interestingly enough, the salesman told my parents before they went in what the standard warranty was, how long is was for, what it covered, and told them not to take the extended warranty.

• AJ_Syrinx says:

I bought a new car earlier this year and had dealer bidding against dealer. After I settled with one offer that no other dealer would match, I knew I was in for some heavy “add-on” sales pitches in the finance department.

Indeed, the guy tried to sell me a 7-year plan and even talked about how cars have all sorts of sophisticated electronics these days, saying things like one out-of-warranty repair just cost some person close to $4K. He even said stuff like I would be “helping” him by buying the warranty. I mean, the guy almost groveled. It was around 9:30pm and I just wanted to get home. The sales guy looked upset when I declined on the offer.

Seriously, if I have a car that’s a little over five years old (or out of warranty) and an electronic-based repair will cost me $4K, then I’ll count my losses and don’t buy that brand or model anymore. I definitely will not shell out the $4K.

19. dg says:

Ext’d warranties are a rip off. Never buy them. Many credit cards offer “purchase protection” or “warranty extension”. PP says that if anything happens to it within 90 days, you get a new one courtesy of the CC company – so that could be lost, stolen, whatever – you usually need to file a police report if it’s lost/stolen and provide a copy of the report # to the CC company…

Warranty extension usually doubles the warranty – up to one additional year on anything bought with the CC. No receipt needed because *volia!* they have those records already. Sometimes they limit electronics to a max of an additional 90 days, sometimes they give you more than 1 year additional – you gotta read the fine print in your CC agreement.

I always decline the extended warranties, and have been known to simply walk out of the store if the salesperson continues to pressure me into purchasing w/the ext’d warranty. During the Circuit City days, I’d walk in – know what I wanted, go to the sales guy and tell him what I wanted and that I didn’t want the extended warranty. When they’d bring it up anyway – I’d say “I know it’s habit, and they’re making you ask, but I don’t want it, and I’m not going to buy it. If you don’t stop asking, I’ll just go make the purchase elsewhere.” 99.9% of the time, they shut up. 0.1%, they don’t and get in my face. I just say “get a manager” – if they refuse, I tell them to get the cops because they’re going to need them. They usually shut up right then and there – and THEN I walk out. I was so happy when CC went out of business – it was all I could do to not pull up in front of a store and go HA HA!

• Seanumich says:

Why would the cops ever get involved? There is no RIGHT to see a manager. Everything you said might be right, but then you sound like you are such a hot head you are going to cause a scene at the store that will need police intervention. I think that shows more about you, then it does about the store you are buying from. Are you like the stupid broad who called 911 when she couldnt get a western burger at Burger King?

20. wcnghj says:

It’s called a credit card with warranty extension.

21. bananaboat says:

I like these profit makers since I worked for a company that underwrites many of these. Whether a warranty or gap insurance, I like to play the game with a real salesperson. Oh, then the other model that’s 1/2 the price has the same mfg warranty so I should go with the less expensive model because they all need extended warranties? So the value drops so fast I need gap…let’s go back to negotiating the price.

The funniest was my daughter buying a $20 binder and they offered her a $5 warranty at the register. I believe it was at Staples back at the start of school.

22. GamblesAC2 says:

“Congrats Bob on this weeks pay determination chart you get gold star for effort but unfortunately you didn’t sell that extended warranty so you get a Mr. Yuck sticker for effort…. Better luck next week!”

23. incident_man says:

Whenever I’m asked if I want to buy an extended warranty, I just tell the clerk that I used to work for DHell and they cured me of buying extended warranties.

24. ScottCh says:

I had a similar experience at our local Staples in Cary, NC. I wanted to buy a camera on sale, and they only had the display model. I asked if they were willing to sell it, and the clerk said “Yes, but you have to buy an extended warranty with it. That’s because the camera’s original warranty has already expired. The clock starts ticking from the moment we open it and put it on the display, and the warranty is only 90 days. So I’ll sell you this one – but you have to buy the extended warranty.”

I told him that I expected that the company (Fuji) would honor the warranty beginning from the day they receive the registration card. He said that they probably wouldn’t be able to find the registration card after this long, and it would be dishonest to allow it to be registered as new. He said he would rather not sell it than let it go without the extended warranty because it would be “unfair to me”.

I declined and left, and he actually seemed pleased about it. I suspect he was looking for a customer that was more easily gulled. I wound up ordering the same model from Newegg, and it was cheaper than Staples even with shipping.

• DJRanmaS says:

Well the rep is partially right. With any electronic product, the warranty begins as soon as it’s shipped from them. And if you don’t register the product or keep the receipt (which is something a lot of people don’t do), they will not honor said one year warranty.

25. Schwartzy says:

Funny I went to staples the last Saturday before Christmas to find a specific router. Most places online were sold out. Surprisingly in my searches I found staples had one of the lowest prices. I checked the store for stock and my local store said it was in stock. I went there and found one on the shelf. I picked it up and was looking at some other things when a staples associate came by and asked if I needed help. I said no thanks I found what I was looking for and went about my business. He came running right back with a pamphlet for the extended warranty and started in with his pitch. I said no thanks. Then he kept going saying you know how hot those get. I said not thanks I keep mine cool. He then goes do you keep it in a refrigerator? At that point I became annoyed and said no I keep it on a open shelf where it has airflow. The he says what if it dies and I go that is what the included warranty is for. He kept going and I just walked away while he was still talking. I went over to where my wife was and told here about my experience. We were walking to the front of the store when another employee saw me carrying the router and goes sir! Before he could say anything more I go I don’t need the extended warranty and he goes oh. As I approach the register I could see she was going to ask the same thing and I said no I don’t need the extended warranty. It is no wonder there were hardly any customers in the store on the last Saturday before Christmas, the employees annoyed them all away.

• Wyndikan says:

That’s so interesting you say that. I work at Staples. I loath the “plan culture” that they’ve kind of adopted. I know it just annoys people. It’s no wonder we have less customers than we used to.

26. MikeVx says:

I always ignore the extended warranties, as I take care of my electronics and anything that lasts past 30 days is likely to last years beyond any warranty you can buy.

I have an 8.5 year old Palm organizer in my pocket, a 5+ year old Dell laptop in a bag by the computer desk. I still have a working 10+ year old DVD player and I think I’d have to carbon date the TV. Other than computer hard drives, electronics failures are few and far between for me. I did once lose a video card to a form of mechanical failure, the fan spindle broke and the fan fell onto the back of the SCSI card. The video card then cooked itself to death. It still went past any extended warranty I could have bought.

27. Zombini says:

This story is no real surprise – salesmen are marked on how many warranties they get, often to the point where it doesn’t matter how many items they’ve sold, just how many warranties they’ve shifted. Where I used to work, one of the managers told us – if the store’s figures were poor – to tell the customer an item wasn’t in stock if they weren’t buying a warranty. So while a customer could leave a store disgruntled if the above salesperson pushes the warranty too hard, the sales person has managed to avoid a no-warranty sale which would count against them.

28. u1itn0w2day says:

I was gonna say. I was just starting to shop for a new printer which I told the Staples associate and second half of his conversation was you can get it covered for 2 years for only xxx dollars. I realize it’s their job but sell the actual physical product before you try to sell me some insurance .

Last time I got a hard insurance pitch like that was at Circut City – uh oh…

• Wyndikan says:

*sigh* As a Staples salesman, I have to say: I offer everything. I’ve had a guy yell at me once before for not giving him the cable on a printer (though he recycled one and left his old cable, which I assumed he was going to use again). So from that point on, I offer everyone EVERYTHING I can think of to make sure they don’t leave without something they need. If they say no: that’s that. I never say “you sure?” unless it’s a really good deal. But I’ve NEVER once tried to sell any kind of accessory (that includes services plans, imo) before the actual product. What an idiot salesman.

29. trbofun says:

I work in retail, and am in charge of the “entertainment department.” Now don’t kill me for doing it but.. I suggest the product care plans that we offer. Now, on a good week I sell 10 televisions, and 6 of those 10 will purchase the 2 year extension. Unfortunately, a report prints out every week and rates the stores in the market on attachment rates, so I guess you could say it’s my job to sell them. After all, I am running the show, and I don’t want to look bad. Also, REALLY?
    Customer “Hi I’d like to buy this TV”
    Me “Oh that is a pile of junk and will break, BUT.. if you buy this and everything will be OK”

If a product sucks, I tell the customer and steer them in the right direction. In conclusion I would like to say that once a month a hear about a TV that broke after the one year but would have been covered IF they had purchased it. And if you buy an Xbox 360… do yourself a favor and get the service plan, extended warranty, product guarantee, etc.

30. runchadrun says:

In 1994 I got my first apartment that didn’t come with its own fridge. I went to Sears and bought a Kenmore but didn’t get the extended warranty. About a year later when the warranty was about to expire I got a call from Sears trying to sell me an extended warranty of 3 or 4 years. I told them that a good refrigerator should last for 20 years and if it goes out in 3 years then obviously I made the wrong decision buying a Kenmore and I would never buy one again. The caller seemed perplexed but that was the end of the call.

Almost 16 years later the fridge is running quite well, thankyouverymuch, with the only issue being that the ice maker stopped working 2 years ago and I replaced that myself for about $100.

• u1itn0w2day says:

Unless you have a total lemon or abuse the item the cost of insurance tends to exceed the cost of a repair or two even after any warranty has expired. Either way you pay for the insurance or repair yourself but you pay.

Who do you want to pay?

• tekmill says:

Sears doesn’t sell extended warranties on Appliances (including refrigerators). They sell preventative maintenance plans. They send someone to your house to do preventative maintenance checks once a year. If there’s something wrong they fix it. If not they just review all necessary working parts via a checklist. If they sold warranties at the price of their maintenance checks then they’d be ripping you off big time.

31. jonquil says:

Five years ago, I bought a Scion XB, which is fixed-price. They insisted on turning us over to their finance guy, even though we were paying cash. After the hard sell on finance, he proceeded to the hard sell on an extended warranty. We said no, no, no, over and over again. Then he started telling us how unreliable new cars (it was the first model year) were, and how “computers always break”, and how basically this was a piece of junk and without the extended warranty we’d be doomed.

When we insisted on not buying, he demonstrated his contempt for us by not shaking our hands as we left. Snerk. Needless to say, the car’s had no more problems than any other.

32. jesusofcool says:

When I used to work there, there were quotas for the extended warranties that you were expected to meet if you worked in the tech/electronics dept, as well as quotas for the store itself. Cashiers had a quota to meet for the rewards cards (which are actually sort of useful for people who shop there often, so I didn’t mind asking). There isn’t any commission, just an incentive to keep your job, avoid a stern talking to by some blow-hard manager, and maybe get promoted to managerial status yourself.

33. Sumtron5000 says:

Please don’t submit a story about how the product broke and it’s a piece of crap.

34. jermscentral says:

Oddly enough, I could see the reason for the warranty on GPS devices now. I bought a Garmin 650 two years ago, and two years and a day to the day after the purchase, the touchscreen stopped working. No amount of hard resets, diagnostic modes, or attempted recalibrations could get it to come back, and now I have a $300 GPS paperweight. The internals still work, so I may see if I can take it apart and so something with it, but the device itself is busted because I cannot use the touchscreen.

I still wouldn’t pay more than 10% of the product’s purchase price for a warranty, but getting it repaired would cost a minimum of $60 just for the touchscreen replacement.

35. DJRanmaS says:

Hey. I just wanna say that I am a lead at a Staples in NYC. Our higherups expects us to sell 5 – 10 plans a day. I constantly explain to said higherups that this is not possible, especially with a lot of international customers. I tell my team to sell and give a customer a reason to get the coverage. If the customer doesn’t buy it, let them have the item regardless. If I had an associate on my floor telling customers that the product is crap, I would make sure that said associate is terminated.

As for the whole Acer thing… I know this much from selling them, their monitors are great. As for their laptops/netbooks/desktops… There’s a reason why they’re cheaper than the rest.

Also, these aren’t extended warranties, these PRP/TSP’s cover 100% of the product. The PRP gives you an extra year and the TSP starts the day of purchase. I know I sound like a corporate guy, but this is from selling electronics at Staples/BB/CC, etc…

36. IntheKnow says:

The day a retailer makes this statement “We are no longer offering extended warranties on products because they deceive too many of my valued customers and they force my valued team members to lie,” is the day this retailer becomes a hero and a national model of what retail should be. They will gain legions of new customers.

Extended warranties, service plans or whatever are the real retail “Dumb Tax,” because the retailer considers you the customer a dummy. Only those gullible to nonsensical sales speak succumb. The only reason they are offered is for the retailer’s and the plan administrator’s benefit. Next time you go to Staples (or other office supply store, I happen to like Staples other services and product selection) – take a Microsoft wireless mouse to the cashier and you’ll be offered a “replacement” plan. Great – the cashier doesn’t even realize that the product comes with a 3-year warranty and you are being offered year 4 only. What a horrendous waste of time and effort. Utter stupidity.