Top Posts Of The Week And Open Thread

Walmart Accused Of Secretly Videotaping Public Restroom
What Happened With Operation Chokehold
Company Forecloses On Wrong Condo, Throws Out Everything
GameStop Tells Me It Doesn’t Care It’s Violating Merchant Agreement
Closeted Lesbian Sues Netflix For Potential Outing

Happy Giftmas, Consumerists! Did Santa Cat visit your house? He brought me a cocker spaniel with stomach flu. It’s exactly what I wanted!

Comments

1. subtlefrog says:

So early!

A Woooo from Kimaroo who can’t be with us today who have internet but is with us in thought…

Merry Christmas to all you consumerists. Whatever you do or don’t believe in – I think of it as a state of mind, not a religiously allied holiday. Have a peaceful day…to the extent that that is possible when extended families are involved!

2. theblackdog says:

Yay open thread!

I got one of the best presents ever, the all-edge brownie pan! http://www.amazon.com/Bakers-Edge-Nonstick-Brownie-Pan/dp/B000MMK448/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1261760390&sr=8-1

3. Trai_Dep says:

Merry Christmas, everyone. May elves deliver your spiced rum with rapid grace and may all visiting children be adorable and relatively quiet (at least until 10am).

4. dragonfire81 says:

Merry Christmas everyone,

How many of you brave the crowds and venture to stores on the 26th to do returns and such? I know work will be crazy busy this week and I am not looking that forward to it, but I’ve been through it before and know what to expect (namely a wave of people who fail to read and/or understand our very simple return policy).

• tutleman says:

C’est la vie. The 26th is always a nasty day (much like the 24th) to be anywhere near a mall. Also, it always amazes me how incompetent people can be especially with regards to returns. Best of luck.

• bogartbrown says:

I’ll be at Target at 0600 for clearance goods… no returns at all this year!

Hoping the “Blizzard of ’09” will keep the early go-getters to a minumum…

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I have to go to Walmart tomorrow but I won’t stay long. I need a couple of things and want to hit the Christmas gift box aisle and see what’s on sale. :)

If I survived the mall the other night, I can survive Wally World tomorrow.

• theblackdog says:

Nothing to return here, but will probably be looking at sales with my mom to see if there is anything good. Yeah, we’re that crazy.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

I’m probably going by crate & barrel on the 26th with my mom … I don’t live near one and she does and there’s a pitcher I probably want as long as it doesn’t suck in person.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i got home depot gift cards from the parents. i might brave it for a new showerhead.

• Dustbunny says:

Went to Trader Joes this a.m. & it was practically deserted. Darn, I wish I’d had more to shop for, just to take advantage of the rare quiet! And they have peppermint bark on sale! Sadly, they were all out of Pfeffernuesse. Gesundheit.

5. katstermonster says:

Merry Christmas, everyone! For Christmas, I got this shirt (http://www.bustedtees.com/vivalaevolucion), some yummy candy, lots of Clinique facial stuff, a new jacket, and a nasty, nasty cold. BUT we’re going out to have Thai food for dinner and I just treated myself to a Netflix subscription (why the heck did I wait so long????), so life is good. Enjoy the holiday, even if you don’t celebrate it. :)

6. CompyPaq says:

Hell of a flying experience this past Sunday. Wanted to go down to Austin, Texas for my Grandfather’s 80th birthday, both me and my brother rearranged finals to do so, parents both took off of work. Had an 11:45 flight out of Philly on Southwest. When we were 20 minutes from the airport, we got a call that the flight was cancelled. Proceeded to airport and waited 2.5 hours in line to see what they could do for us. We were talking to the agent and she mentioned that she had been there for over 24 hours because of the weather mess. She put us standby on a flight to Austin via Chicago, which at the time was supposed to leave around 5:45 but kept getting delayed, and advised us not to leave the airport in case the flight takes off early. So while we were waiting around the terminal, my father notices there’s a flight to Houston and figures if we can get to Houston, we could figure out what to do from there, even drive if we have to. So we get put on standby to that flight too. It was an overbooked flight with 24 people ahead of us in the standby line, but we somehow managed to get on it. When we got to Houston, we noticed that the last flight of the day between Houston and Austin had been delayed (due to mechanical problems) so it hadn’t left yet and we managed to get on it and got to Austin around midnight instead of around 2 or 3 as planned. At least we were lucky and actually managed to fly.

7. Roloboto says:

I have a stomach ache from drinking so much last night.

8. NotYou007 says:

Hope everyone had a good day regardless of your beliefs

9. calquist says:

Anyone else watching The Christmas Story marathon? I can’t believe I missed 10 hours of it for sleep! My family will never tire of this movie.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I watched it! I watch it every year and laugh my ass off!

• subtlefrog says:

No cable, but I’ve got my DVD out. As soon as BF gets off the phone with his family, we’re on to our own marathon. I grew up in Cleveland, so it’s a family tradition. Love the movie. Love it.

• cash_da_pibble says:

I’ve seen it on TV so much, and this year I finally bought it.
      I have now discovered I’ve never seen the Beginning OR the ending!
      So it was like seeing it for the first time- very happy bunny.

10. Cat_In_A_Hat says:

Merry Christmas everyone! Easiest Christmas Ever. No tree (just a single potted plant of holly I received from a co-worker), no presents (my family agreed driving in to one location to be with each other was enough), no decorations (except a few handmade ornaments from a holiday charity event), just yummy food and a few holiday tunes. When I was a child our house would be overflowing with presents that we’d forget about the next day after we picked our favorite out of the bunch. I’m happy to have grown out of the commercial side of Christmas and started being more practical with my giving. Tis’ the season to volunteer and give back to those in need.

11. HogwartsProfessor says:

Not at the family’s this year…I wasn’t feeling very Christmasy and in that state, it’s better I stay home. Also I’m having a guest next week and wanted to use the time to get stuff ready. It’s a good thing I did, because the snow hit and the wind is blowing a million miles an hour and it’s NOT good driving weather. I’m enjoying lying around in my pajamas because I hardly ever get to do that!

Merry Christmas everyone!

• subtlefrog says:

That sounds like a perfectly lovely day! And I’m glad that you chose to have the holiday that you wanted. Enjoy your jammies! (I am!)

We’ve spent the day baking and cooking – we’re making bread and we made some treats for Daisydog for Christmas, then Chard florentine toast points (vegan) for brunch. Dinner will be squash filled ravioli from scratch – we’re still arguing about what sauce should top that. A tomato sauce? Pesto isn’t right. Cashew creme? Nothing seems to fit. I’ll take thoughts from anyone…

12. SabyneWired says:

Merry Christmas, everyone.

We’re having a nontraditional twist on dinner, with tamales and enchiladas and other Mexican goodies before opening presents. When I spoke with my grandmother who lives back in Iowa, she mentioned she loved the vase I bought for her at a student art sale my college held a couple weeks ago. It’s not a perfect piece (and that’s why it was $2), but she absolutely loves it. :D

13. Paladin_11 says:

Merry Christmas everyone! A very easy holiday here in the Paladin household. My fellow orphaned men-at-arms will be over later today and we’ll be sharing a grilled salmon, festive side dishes and the appropriate adult beverages. It’s a beautiful sunny day here so I’ll likely go out for a motorcycle ride for an hour or so before my guests arrive.

I trust everyone else is having just as joyous a day.

14. floraposte says:

Merry Christmas, all! I had traditional Chinese Christmas (at the nearby Chinese buffet, open on the 25th) with friends and family and then a visit at one home (where we attempted to get a buggy digital picture frame up and running) for a while until the weather started looking bad and we all wanted to make sure we weren’t caught on the road in it. My nuclear family is spread and we’ve taken to doing our Christmas visit the week before, which is nice because we don’t have to travel around the holiday itself. So it’s been a lovely, lazy day and I can now watch the snow accrue from inside my own house, knowing I don’t have to go anywhere farther than the driveway for days. So I’m pretty pleased, and I hope you all are enjoying as much peace and quiet as you like during the holiday. Laura, my sympathies on the barfhound, but maybe you’re just hard to shop for, you know?

• kaceetheconsumer says:

Aw man the buffet we like wasn’t open today. I actually would have used it too, because my husband is out of town and my 4 year old loves all things Chinese (she chose this restaurant for her birthday meal and does not need to know about “authentic” or not), but I called two days ago to check and they said they’d be closed.

So she got mac’n’cheese with hot dogs in it, which was new to her and she thinks is pretty much manna from heaven.

15. JulesNoctambule says:

DREAMCAST. I got a Dreamcast!! And the game Gauntlet! This is my favourite system/game combo ever, and I never thought I’d have the two together again. Now it’s time to see if if fun can outlast joint damage.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

ooh, classic fun! it’s good to have just the right controller.
      i’m still looking for a replacement pistol grip six button capcom controller for my sega genesis [the ex scored it in the breakup]

• JulesNoctambule says:

I was up after midnight last night playing Gauntlet, and the only reason I stopped was that it appears there’s a scratch on the disc which kept me from going on. Woe! At least the spouse got to sleep, though.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

green archer needs…. food… badly………..
          hehe, i thought you were talking about the gauntlet controller, not the game. the game is loads of awesomeness

• cash_da_pibble says:

Ooh- christmas memories!
      My BF got me a dreamcast for christmas sooo long ago and just thinking about the glories of that system warms my heart.
      I know it’s hiding with the NES in the gee-raj somewhere.
      Maybe I still have Jet Set Radio.

16. kaceetheconsumer says:

Sorry about your pup, Laura, but it’s actually a line from an Aussie comedy Christmas song my 4 year old has been singing for two days:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/dimmertwins and click on the play button beside “Merry Bloody Xmas”.

She’s also been singing “Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way, oh what fun it is to ride in a rusty holy yoot!” (the Dimmer Twins sing “rusty Holden Ute” referring to a particular car). And the David Bowie bits from Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth. Very cute.

17. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

my parents got me a really appropriate gift [they usually fail at this]
    over the summer they helped me move into my house and after they went home [to another state] i called to ask if they had seen where my kitchen barstool ended up because i had thought it had been stacked in the carport with some boxes but it was missing.
    they hadn’t seen it and it’s likely it was stolen out of my carport so i picked up a cheap plain on at target but it’s not the right height.
    can’t stand for very long so when i cook something that involves watching or constant stirring i have to sit down.
    they had my sister purchase an adjustable barstool.
    i haven’t assembled it yet but it looks quite nice

and my sister got me silicone whisks to replace the one i had that fell apart. i just used it to make my dinner. mmmm