Second BlackBerry Data Outage This Week Now Over

Blackberry users on all mobile carriers in North and South America experienced e-mail and Internet outages for about eight hours late on Tuesday. This follows a shorter outage on December 17th that only affected e-mail services.

An RIM outage is problematic because all Blackberry devices use their data services regardless of carrier.

Are you a Blackberry user? How did you survive? Me, I wasn’t even aware until after midnight.

BlackBerry users hit by eight-hour outage
[CNN]

Comments

1. The Federalist says:

I had a minor panic attack when I realized I couldn’t check my email every 3 seconds

2. mrpibb13 says:

It is like having an iPhone without the apps!

• tbax929 says:

From what I understand, iPhone users can’t even get their calls to go through without dropping. So I’d say having a Blackberry is nothing like having an iPhone. Also, there are apps available for the Blackberry. They’re just more business-oriented than play-oriented. Every company I’ve worked for issues Blackberries; they’re the business person’s smart phones.

3. Corinthos says:

It seems like this year they have been having a bunch of problem. About 3 years ago I think it only had a problem once all year I think this is the 5th time this year there has been something wrong with email.
    Maybe they can’t handle all the forced data plans on smartphones now lol.

4. bkdlays says:

Ya Rim is starting to suck. No BBM all Day! Mayne they shouldn’t put all their eggs in 1 basket (as in use different servers for different carriers at different locations)

5. ander_bobo says:

I had an issue receiving emails on my BB during the last outage, and during this outage my BBM function wasn’t working, ugh!

6. dvdchris says:

It wasn’t just Blackberry data out; Sprint’s data/internet network was down too.

• Corinthos says:

Last outage TMobile went down in many areas. Hate to be a call center rep on those days.

• tbax929 says:

That’s funny. I have a Sprint Android phone, and I did not have an outage. Or if I did, I didn’t notice it. And I use my phone quite heavily.

• destruktolux says:

I’m a rep at a Sprint call center and I can tell you there was no outage on Sprint’s data services yesterday–I was at work the whole day and didn’t hear anything about this.

7. OletheaEurystheus says:

I went eh, then went to bed and was woken up at 3 AM to every email I read on my computer earlier buzzing my BB off the table.

8. Scatter says:

I didn’t even notice it

9. Ophelia says:

I had no problem using Opera during the outage, only noticed because BBM was done and I couldn’t talk to my husband.

10. eviltwinskippie says:

I was wondering why my battery decided to be almost dead this morning — spending all evening searching for a network, apparently.

11. vystral says:

The internal helpdesk I work at was swamped suddenly at about 8:30. Thanks a lot, RIM.

12. apd09 says:

if freaked me out because I was trying to set up a replacement Storm for my wife and had trouble trying to connect to the email server, emails were late, could not get to App World, tons of problems. With Christmas 2 days away there would not be enough time to get a new phone sent to me because I thought this replacement one was broken.

They really need to do a better job alerting people to when the network is down, I tried to find into at 8:00pm last night and could not find anything.

13. jayphat says:

I was pissed because my phone is the only source of internet I have at work. Trying to look up information for someone and not having service sucks.

14. burquedude says:

I only noticed it just as I was leaving work, and I just waited until I got home to check Facebook and ProFootballTalk. However this would have been extremely aggravating if I had been out and about needing access to the internet.

15. pinkbunnyslippers says:

BB with VZW here…been having issues since Monday on it tbh…couldn’t send texts, wasn’t getting gmails, facebook updates or BB messages on an intermittent basis.

Noticed my upper left go from all uppercase 1XEV to all lowercase 1xev which was a surefire indicator that it was a BB network issue. Just threw it down last night and went to bed and woke up this morning to all the texts/emails I hadn’t gotten yesterday…

• theSuperman says:

Wait, for real? Because I could swear I noticed it in lowercase as well last night, but didnt pay much attention to it. So when it is in lowercase, that means the network is down on RIM’s side?

16. internal says:

Apparently the last BBM upgradde was to blame:

RIM Statement – December 23rd
    A service interruption occurred Tuesday that affected BlackBerry customers in the Americas. Message delivery was delayed or intermittent during the service interruption. Phone service and SMS services on BlackBerry smartphones were unaffected. Root cause is currently under review, but based on preliminary analysis, it currently appears that the issue stemmed from a flaw in two recently released versions of BlackBerry Messenger (versions 5.0.0.55 and 5.0.0.56) that caused an unanticipated database issue within the BlackBerry infrastructure. RIM has taken corrective action to restore service.
    RIM has also provided a new version of BlackBerry Messenger (version 5.0.0.57) and is encouraging anyone who downloaded or upgraded BlackBerry Messenger since December 14th to upgrade to this latest version which resolves the issue. RIM continues to monitor its systems to maintain normal service levels and apologizes for any inconvenience to customers

17. Smiley says:

I enjoyed the silence .. until of course I got the 47 chimes all at once.

18. crichton007 says:

I noticed when I went to log into Windows Live Messenger on the way home from work and couldn’t. From there it was downhill to the point that I couldn’t perform and data functions (even browsing the web) unless I was connected via WiFi. I’m regretting getting a BlackBerry after enduring the hell that was BlackBerry OS 4.7 and three service outages in a month.

19. StochasticLife says:

I’m a Blackberry Administrator for a large health network; I was on a bridge-line call until about 2 am this morning trying to explain the situation, and the futility of telling everyone the Blackberries were down via e-mail at 2:00 am.

20. ngoandy says:

I’m a BlackBerry Enterprise Admin for 5000 devices.

Outside of getting harassed about when I’d fix it (as if I broke our system), I enjoyed the outage. It is a good time to reboot servers, apply patches, etc while RIM is fixing their side.

Of course, the downside is the iPhone fanboys start with their spiel over why we should switch to an iPhone infrastructure.

21. GwynnCallirhoe says:

Yep it was out for me in Oregon too, Opera worked for a while, and then that went out as well. Just a quick question has anyone else gotten Bing pushed to their phone? I woke up on Saturday, and couldn’t figure out how the heck I ended up with that app…

22. parrotuya says:

I survived by cussing very loudly until I went to bed. Why can’t outages be confined to after midnight but before 6 a.m?

DOWn, baby, DOWn!

23. Winteridge2 says:

No Blackberry? But I wanted to make a pie…

24. buShroom says:

To be honest, I didn’t even notice. I didn’t notice the last outage, either. They seem to always happen when I’m not using my phone.