Master Chart Of Airlines Fees

Before you travel through the sky in the belly of a silver tube at hundreds of miles per hour, wouldn’t it be nice to know which extra fees you might be charged for doing so? Kayak has a great chart for doing just that.

You can filter results by specific airline. Note that it’s for US route tickets and may not include every single possible fee you might be charged – those airlines are rather clever after all – but it should cover you for most of them and be reasonably up-to-date.

Airline Fees [KAYAK]

Comments

1. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Weren’t these because gas was so expensive? It hasn’t been expensive for over a year.. why are the fees still here/going up?

Oh wait, I think they realized how they can ream the hell out of us without trying. That, and make the plane seriously unsafe by overloading the carryons…

• lannister80 says:

$2.60 is still expensive. :(

• sir_eccles says:

Most airlines don’t buy fuel like we do by going to the pump and filling the tank. Most airlines buy fuel futures and are therefore tied into a set price for a set amount of time. Southwest famously bought in low just before the spike you referred to, many other airlines didn’t.

• RickN says:

Even so, fuel surcharges added during the price spike of spring 2008 should have gone away 20 months later. The spike in gas/crude is long over, with crude prices back to where they were in 2005.

• sir_eccles says:

In other news airlines are badly managed. What if during the peak oil price of 2008 an analyst told you oil prices were going to continue to rise? You’d buy in as much as you could at that price and then fire your analyst a month later when prices went down. Airlines could still be using up those stocks they bought even 20 months ago.

2. Nogard13 says:

The reason fees are so prevalent instead of raising the price: airport taxes. That’s right, the airline doesn’t have to pay airport taxes on money it collects in fees, only on the fare. So they save themselves money by not raising the fare and, instead, tacking it on as a fee.

Congress is already looking into changing that as they claim the airports are getting ripped off because of it.

BTW, anyone notice that Jet Blue and Southwest are the only two domestic airlines that don’t charge for the first bag (or the second in SWA)

• sonneillon says:

So we should all fly southwest and Jetblue because the other airlines are douchebags. I am all in favor of that.

• shepd says:

Airport taxes are ridiculous, anyways. One of the most boring airports in the world (which happens to also have the nastiest parking police in the world), Toronto Pearson International, has higher taxes than any other airport in the world. Yes, a boring land-based airport with an average amount of planes landing with bog-standard weather and plenty of room to spare that isn’t even *in* town charges more taxes than one on a man-made purpose-built island.

I’d love to know what makes them need to charge such high taxes, but I’m sure it’d just lead to more head shaking. So, instead, I just use the multitude of alternative airports within the same distance to me.

3. leastcmplicated says:

so in order to get a bag free i have to travel internationally or on SW, which doesnt stop in Atlanta. Awesome.

4. StatusfriedCrustomer says:

The food price should be weighted by the probability of you actually GETTING a meal. Airplanes are required to carry one meal per 2.5 expected passengers, so whether they charge for them or not, you must bring your own food to ensure you’ll have something to eat, especially if you’re sitting in the back of the plane. Note the word “EXPECTED” passengers. The TSA defines “EXPECTED” as “based on fiscal experience from a year not more recent than 10 years before the year containing the scheduled departure date” — as a result of this terribly crafted legislation, the airplanes almost always carry fewer food items than are required to complete the cabin service.

5. Chmeeee says:

I’ve pretty much stopped checking other airlines for my trip out west for skiing this year. There’s no way of getting around checking two bags for a ski trip, so that means that the airfare for any other airline is pretty much automatically $100 plus the ticket price, meaning that Southwest always comes out cheaper, even if the fair is somewhat higher.

*Note: Most airlines count a ski bag/case and a boot bag as a single bag for counting purposes. Thus I have a ski case, my boot bag, my full size suitcase, and my max size carry on. Ski equipment is a pain dragging around the airport.

• fs2k2isfun says:

I recommend investing in a ski bag that takes 2 pairs of skis. I use a Dakine Concourse bag which I can pack with a pair of skis, boots, and any other stuff I might need. Unstack the skis, put them bases down in the bag and use the straps to secure them. You now have a very large suitcase. Watch out for weight, especially if you put the boots in there.

As an aside, I would never check my boots on the way to a ski trip. Everything else can be easily rented, boots are a different story.

• Chmeeee says:

I have a hard case which takes two pair, but there’s no way in hell my boots would fit in the space left over from the missing second pair of skis. Plus I like taking maximum advantage of the boot bag not counting as a third bag. It’s especially helpful since my hat/gloves and most importantly helmet also go in there. Keeping the boots & helmet out of my regular bag is mission critical to getting my jacket/ski pants and assorted clothes for a week all packed.

If they lose it, you can rent boots, although finding something that fits my size 13 wide foot could prove challenging.

• phonebem says:

Might I suggest UPS or USPS to get your skis /boots there? It may be a pain but at least you can insure them (for full-replacement retail price, of course plus mounting fee for new bindings) and its usually cheaper than the baggage fees on airlines.

• phonebem says:

BTW, the two times I’ve actually tried taking ski gear with me on an airline cost me a pair of skis and boots (never seen or heard from again) and another time they were MIA for about a week and a half. Fool me once…

• Chmeeee says:

Probably jinxing myself by saying this, but I’ve had three round trips, two on Delta & one on Frontier, with my skis and never lost anything or had to wait longer to get them. I’ve also never paid a baggage fee.

Cue lost skis on trip #4.

6. Blinkman987 says:

I can understand why uninformed travelers would be upset, but anybody who has done any amount of searching on airline tickets knows that these fees exist. While more transparency on the actual cost of a flight would be optimal, I (used to) just add the cost of checked baggage to the ticket if I needed to check bags– which was rarely. The only real pain I’ve come across is people who carry-on bags that don’t belong in the overhead compartment.

In a way, the checked bag fees could potentially make airfare cheaper for those who do not check bags and pack light. Consider that a ticket’s true cost is Z, which is X (ticket price), Y (baggage fees), and Z (taxes/airport fees). Someone who does not check baggage only pays X and Z instead of all 3, so he or she gets a cheaper flight.

• AnthonyC says:

Btw, you use “Z” to refer to 2 different variables there. Basically you said Z=X+Y+Z., which is silly since all three are 0 or positive.

SOrry, but my (not so) inner nerd got to me.

7. Dacker says:

I’m in the process of researching our first ever cruise, to Alaksa. I’m finding there are parallels with the airlines in that the quoted price for a ticket/cabin is not the bottom line.

Extras include:
    * Published rates do not include port charges and various taxes. For a one week trip for my family of four, that’s over $650; about the same as a fifth person.
    * Tipping is added to your bill and presented to you the night before you leave.
    * Anything you drink except water — including something as trivial as a soda with a meal. You can eat all the prime rib you want, but a soda which costs them $.10 will cost you a couple bucks or more. This makes no sense. No wonder many people smuggle beverages onboard.
    * Fuel surcharges of about $10/person/day can be added at anytime.

8. andoman says:

Unfortunately this chart leaves out many of the non-US airlines. Moreover, the customer is alone with their calculator when trying to compare airlines. Eventually the day will come when the fees can be tabulated into the fare comparisons that kayak uses.

I’m actually finishing a Masters dissertation on airline fees and how they affect passengers’ satisfaction/dissatisfaction. I used a questionnaire and 126 people responded. Some of you consumerist people actually helped me with this, thank you.

My theory the fees aren’t just for avoiding tax, it is likely to do with disrupting fare comparison searching, and creating difficulty with fee calculation. (Hiding the real price of the ticket) For instance, ryanair refuses to allow Kayak include its flights in the comparison searches. I believe they fear the rapidly approaching day when fees are included in those comparison searches.

Some preliminary findings of my study are:

1) Europeans get socked by many more fees than US/Canadians
    2) People flying short-haul people get socked by more fees than long-haul
    3) People flying budget airlines reported more than fees than those flying full-service.
    4) People who fly budget say they are more satisfied with full-ticket price but say they are LESS satisfied with how that price is communicated versus full-service customers.
    5) In the free response area, a lot of people described that though everything was what they expected, they wished for a better system.
    6) As the number of fees reported increased, people had reported more difficulty comparing and calculating the full-ticket price. The relationship was more tied to the fee calculation than the comparison.
    7) Amongst those who were charged a credit/debit card fee… Europeans were more likely to say this was reasonable, but U.S/Canadians were not. This probably has something to do with the differences in laws. I don’t think there are many blanket bans on credit card fees in Europe but there are lots of them here.

• andoman says:

NZ airlines was making fun of this. Great commercial.

• That's Consumer007 to you says:

Kudos on doing that for a dissertation.

But one question. Ryanair has no control over “allowing” themselves to be rated or not. Free country. You call as a customer to get the info and publish it. If it is accurate, they can’t sue / stop you. They also can’t say prices they charge to the public are secret.

9. That's Consumer007 to you says:

I love this resource. Further, I find the now universal baggage fee the pristine example of anti-consumer industry collusion. The FTC, AGs etc. completely fell down on the job letting that happen. Everyone knows people need to bring some kind of bag with them on a plane. Therefore, fees should not be allowed for that as though that were some kind of optional practice. Analagous to charging a breathing or wearing clothes on the plane fee.

10. AllanG54 says:

This seems like it’s only for domestic service. I flew to and from Spain on Delta over the summer and as far as meal service went it was it was like a food orgy and it was all for free. And I was in the cheap seats. They did start charging for bags went going to Europe three weeks after my trip though.

11. savdavid says:

How much is the fee for Helen the stewardess?