American Airlines Flight Grounded Because Of Threatening Note

Do not write a mean note and leave it in an airplane bathroom. The AP is reporting that a Chicago-bound American Airlines flight was grounded because of a note that a passenger found in the lavatory.

Austin-Bergstrom International Airport spokesman Jason Zielinski says the plane was taxiing for takeoff to Chicago with 129 passengers on board Friday when a passenger found the note.

Zielinski tells the Austin American-Statesman to jet was parked on a maintenance ramp, away from the terminal.

The flight was grounded and the plane searched by dogs.

TSA spokeswoman Andrea McCauley says passengers, their baggage and the aircraft were rescreened Friday with “no findings of any prohibited item.”

We’re sure the passengers were really amused by the note dropper’s cleverness.

Chicago-bound American Airlines jet grounded by threatening note [Sun-Times]
American Airlines jet grounded by threatening note [Houston Chronicle]

Comments

1. tripnman says:

If the aircraft was taxiing for takeoff, as the article indicates, I’m surprised the note finder wasn’t hit with Federal charges for not being in their seats minding the “Fasten Seatbelts” sign.

• dwasifar says:

Yeah, something’s not right with that. The plane wouldn’t be taxiing with the passenger in the can. Either they’re wrong about where the note was, or about the taxiing, or maybe the passenger wrote the note himself. I predict confusion will reign for a while in this reporting.

• Joedragon says:

December 18, 2009 (PRESCOTT, Ariz.) (WLS) — Police and fire crews were on the scene at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport on Friday after a bomb threat.

The threat involves American Airlines flight 2486 scheduled to depart for Chicago on Friday afternoon.

One hundred and twenty nine passengers on the flight were offloaded onto a maintenance ramp.

A flight attendant doing departure checks found a note in the bathroom with some reference to a bomb.

All the passengers were being questioned, though authorities indicate it’s possible the note was left by a passenger from an earlier flight.
      (Copyright ©2009 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

2. godlyfrog says:

And on the note was written: “Can I have some orange juice?”

3. Stoli says:

Interesting they don’t state what was actually on the note. For all the hysteria these days, the note may have simply said “I hate America Airlines”.

What a country we live in…

4. trujunglist says:

Was the note demanding orange juice? I can certainly understand if that’s the case.

5. echovictorecho says:

Damn, and here I thought I had the OJ-joke market cornered.

Do we know what the note said?

6. ohenry says:

The next fee that airlines will now charge: the “Potentially finding a potentially threatening note potentially delaying the flight” fee.

7. Kerov says:

The terrorists have won.

8. rwalford79 says:

Anyone hear this on CNN? I know I sure didnt… that and the passanger was NOT in their seat on take off taxi? HMMMMMM Sounds bogus

• tlpinspw says:

The event really happened. I live in Austin and listened to the local news radio channel report live from the airport.

• friday3 says:

This actually happened, but it was not a passenger, it was a crew member who found the note. Poor reporting by the Houston Chronicle.

9. LostTurntable says:

Duh, hasn’t anyone seen Marathon Man?

Actually probably not. You should though, it’s a really good movie.

10. BigHeadEd says:

So the pen truly is mightier than the sword (or boxcutter or knitting needle).

11. MoodyTurtle says:

I’m not even going to comment on this…lest the FBI or Homeland Security comes looking for me for adding to the general level of “meanness.”

12. dg says:

What’d the note say? I can’t find it anywhere. For all I know it said “All your base are belong to us!”

13. _hi_ says:

It’s a trap!

14. GreatWhiteNorth says:

… and the note said… “With bathrooms this clean and nice I’ll be back!”