T-Mobile Down Throughout Southern States, But Back Up Now!

What the heck? Did you guys strike early and target the wrong wireless carrier? The day before the possibly-ill-conceived “Operation Chokehold” is supposed to bring AT&T’s wireless network to a standstill, T-Mobile steals all the bad press by going out this evening across large parts of the Southeastern US and Puerto Rico.

Update: Immediately after posting this, T-Mobile announced the service was back up.

UPDATED 12/17 6:40pm PST: Some T-Mobile customers in the Southeastern United States and Puerto Rico experienced intermittent service degradation for voice and data services earlier today. We are pleased to report that T-Mobile has fixed the equipment malfunction. Full service has been restored to our customers. We again apologize for any inconvenience to impacted customers in the region.

Here’s the original post:

We got tipped off by Tyler in Alabama, who wrote in with this update two hours ago:

I live in Mobile, Alabama, in the most southern-part tip of the state on the Gulf, and have been without T-Mobile phone service since early this afternoon, alongside all of my friends and family.

After a discussion with a customer service rep, I’ve found out that service has collapsed all across Alabama, and is rolling outward from there (whatever in hell that means). The rep wouldn’t tell me much more, but indicated that it is exceptionally widespread, and is spreading, but left me without details.

She told me (after several attempts at calling, during which I was told all lines were busy) that in my state there are complaints that extend all the way past Montgomery and towards Birmingham, in the upper most section of the area, which seems to say it is blanketing the whole shebang.

There was no ETA for when it will come back, and there is absolutely no way to contact them via cell; I had to call on a landline.

There’s no word yet on what’s behind the outage, but T-Mobile says, “[Our] engineers and rapid response teams are working urgently to restore full service in impacted areas as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing our customers.”

“T-Mobile Outage Strikes Southern Parts Of United States” [The Inquisitr]

Comments

1. uber_mensch says:

I was in Alabama last weekend and T-Mobile network sucks big time in Troy.

2. dragonfire81 says:

Yeah T-mobile has really crappy coverage throughout the south.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i almost went with them a few years ago based on national tv commercials and their website, when i was switching providers but then found out [at the time] they had ZERO coverage in my state. it’s since changed but there was some reason at the time that they weren’t allowed to provide coverage here.
      don’t know what happened to change it, but it’s still spotty outside of major cities around here from what i’ve been told.
      i’ll stick with my virgin mobile that works everywhere except my bedroom and the meat department at sams club. [any sams club. no idea why]

• Con Seanne-BZZZZZZZZZZZZ says:

I have T-Mo in Greensboro…It’s not bad within the city. Once you get towards the outside of the city…it’s spotty as hell. We’ll be seeing what Verizon can do for us, we got T-Mo to let us out of our contract for free.

3. whyerhead says:

Here in Kentucky, I’m still having problems.. Calls are occasionally going out, ringing, then after 4 rings, it goes busy.

4. JFetch says:

We survived the last outage down here in the South, so it should have been expected. T-Mobile better clear up their problems soon or they will lose a ton of customers. Between the outages and losing customer data, they are shooting themselves in the foot. I’ve been with them for almost a decade, but I’m thinking of switching to Verizon.

• uber_mensch says:

I have been with T-Mobile for 6 years and had a company phone for one year with Verizon. I was like the commercial, “Can you hear me now!?”. Verizon is worthless.

• oloranya says:

Depends on where you are. I have a Verizon phone in NH and the coverage is way better than my old Virgin Mobile phone and my boyfriends Sprint.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

I like T-Mobile, but after moving to Tennessee this year, I rarely get any signal strength. I am unable to get signal at my work or the radius around it (everyone uses verizon) or inside my home.
        So. well. I gotta do something. Verizon seems to be what everyone uses around here as I’ve heard no one with problems getting signal.

5. s25843 says:

It was a bad Thursday for cell phone companies… Between the BlackBerry outage and this thing,,, im sure there are a few annoyed customers out there…

6. baquwards says:

I think that it was just a month ago that they had a widespread outage in the northeast I believe. A few of my facebook friends reported that their service was down for hours.

7. H3ion says:

This will invariably be blamed on a cat climbing a cell tower.

8. econobiker says:

Nashville TN we were out from about 3:30pm-3:45pm cst though service was degrading while I was on an approximately 20 minute call though 3:15 and it kept dropping out intermittantly but picking right back up missing only a word or two.

We were back up at about 7:20pm cst.

9. Bohemian says:

So this would have to have something to do with their internal routing gear? It couldn’t be a tower issue, don’t most companies borrow each others towers? At least out in the sticks in the midwest some of the towers will pick up other companies phones, it is the old basis for roaming at least out here.

How a big company can have whatever computer or routing equipment for an entire region fail and then whatever back up systems also fail is a bit disturbing. People rely on their cell phones and most don’t have landlines.

10. tlpinspw says:

We have had more problems with T-Mobile here in Texas in the last month than the previous 3 years combined. My phone uses UMA to call via the Internet when connected to WiFi, and that service has been affected too.

11. khendros says:

Same problem in the Memphis area. My wife said she was unable to make or receive calls for about an hour and a half yesterday afternoon. I didn’t realize how massive the outage was.

12. wxchick says:

We were hit with the outage up here in North Alabama pretty much all afternoon and early evening. Annoying when, for once, I was expecting a coupld of important calls via my cell and they never came. Didn’t even get the “no signal” icon on my phone. No indication of anything wrong until someone tells you they’ve been trying to call. How annoying!

Oh, and Tyler? Birmingham isn’t the “upper most section of the area.” That’d be the Huntsville area. Birmihgham is more in the central part of the state. I’m just sayin’.

13. NarcolepticGirl says:

yes. I am in Knoxville and It was annoying. The signal strength here in East Tennessee blows… so after the New Year, I’ll be switching anyway. (and also because my best friend is quitting his job at T-Mobile and I won’t be able to get a $9 plan anymore)

14. KCMcGruff says:

One catch… In the Kansas City area, T-Mobile subscribers formed a line outside one of the T-Mobile stores and were told it was their phone that was at fault. They gave them new phones, but only after renewing their contract for 2 years. Seems to me that would be somewhat of an issue…

15. Caroofikus says:

This makes me think of that Stephen King book “Cell” – mostly just the “it’s rolling outward from there” part.

16. geekydelights says:

It’s really not that big of a deal. It was down for a few hours, so what.
    “Oh no, I can’t call and order Dominoes. Looks like I actually have to get up and do something..”