Comcast Lets You Stream Shows Online For Sorta Free

Fancast Xfinity TV, Comcast’s online on demand service, is up and running, Nikki Finke of Deadline Hollywood Daily reports. (We told you this was coming a while back). If you’re a subscriber you get access to tons of shows for no additional cost.

For example, HBO subscribers can watch all episodes of “The Sopranos” and the most recent season of “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” and Cinemax subscribers can watch “Juno.”

I doubt this will be enough to make satellite customers jealous of Comcast’s offerings, but the move does give its current Comcasters a reason to stick around other than the stellar customer service.

There’s Gotta Be A Catch, Comcast… [Deadline Hollywood Daily]

Comments

1. blogger X says:

F*ck Comcast.

2. cmdr.sass says:

Actually, this is pretty neat! And they have MacGyver!!

3. Maz says:

Too bad that streaming their stuff counts against your bandwidth cap, eh?

4. jaydez860 says:

Okay. Now give your iphone app the ability to watch the same content.

5. Naame says:

I was informed that you can only use it if you are at home using your comcast internet connection. I love how they are ok with verifying who I am in order to pay my Comcast bill anytime and anywhere that the internet is available, but I have to be at home and install some custom verification software of theirs just to be able to use this feature.

6. UltimateOutsider says:

I’m a Comcast “basic digital” subscriber, which means we have no premium channels at all. I just checked out Fancast, and it appears that I only have access to about 1/3 of their selection of terrible movies, which actually is fine, because they are… terrible. The TV show selection is better, though… I have access to around 2/3 of those, and there are a number of classic shows that might be fun to show the kids (Fat Albert, Jetsons, and Thundercats, hey). (Also, to address the person who wondered if you need a Comcast internet connection- you don’t. Verizon is my broadband provider and I am able to view videos.) Strangely- some of the content appears to be Hulu-branded.

• watchwhathappens says:

I too have basic Comcast cable and I just checked out their movies. An impressive list of movies I’ve never heard of (including one called “Phone Sex Grandma”), and absolutely nothing I’m interested in seeing. This is worthless.

7. watchwhathappens says:

I also have basic service from Comcast. Their list of movies is obscure. In fact, I’m not sure how they found so many movies I’ve never heard of (including one called “Phone Sex Grandma” – no kidding). So this isn’t worth much.

8. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

So, Comcast is acquiring NBC, and NBC’s longest running drama, Law & Order, isn’t available on Xfinity TV? That sucks.

9. H3ion says:

Watch Comcast be the most consumer friendly company in America until they get approval for the NBC-Universal merger. Then it will be back to business as usual.

10. tape says:

Fancast Xfinity TV? I guess if you’re a company as awful as Comcast, you are mandated to come up with awful names.

Wouldn’t On Demand Online or similar work much better than made-up words with made-up spelling?