Transforming Online Kvetchers Into Brand Boosters

Researchers announced that consumers who kvetch using social media are more likely than others to also spread positive word of mouth online.

It’s not just about putting out the Twitter fires. Solve their problem, make them happy, and they may go on to sing your praises.

This is not to say that you should capitulate to all whiners. But if you can solve their issue with a reasonable effort, it could pay dividends, because, online, customer service is also marketing.

Customers vent fury on Facebook before complaining to a company, research reveals [The Retail Bulletin]

Comments

1. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Was I the only one who read Twitter fires as Twitter fries, and then got hungry?

2. Scuba Steve says:

Had to look up Kvetcher, sounded like Ketchup..

Tastey tastey Ketchup.

• tbax929 says:

I was watching an old Hollywood Squares on GSN a few days ago, and a contestant’s name was Ketchup. Tom Bergeron was teasing her about it the whole game. Strange name.

3. HogwartsProfessor says:

That picture is freaking me out!

4. Rectilinear Propagation says:

The picture reminds me of the cover of Night Shfit. My mom has the version where the cover had the astronaut’s hand from the story: creepy eye/hand image.

For years while I was a little kid I was afraid to even look in the direction of the book.

5. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Kvetch?

6. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

If this is true, then let me now complain about Philips. They sold me a refurbished TV that failed within months of the pitiful 3-month warranty and did nothing to help me after contacting different customer service venues and the BBB.
    Were they obligated to? No, since it was out of the warranty. But, I believe they sold me a faulty TV, offered no assistance, and I will forever curse their name for not making any kind of effort.
    Let’s hope they are listening…

7. diasdiem says:

Do right by me, and I might tell three other people. Screw me over, and I’ll tell everyone who will listen.

8. jesusofcool says:

For work, I run a number of different facebook fan pages, twitters, etc (I work in pr). I’ve rarely had to deal with complaints or compliments posted to our companies through social media. However, in my experience, legitimate complaints that can be resolved easily by mgmt are great because they can result in good pr, but you also get a lot of people who think social media is their own personal bitching platform, who will use it to complain about every mundane thing and there’s just no pleasing these individuals. I’ve seen people persist bitching every day, even when other fans/followers tell them their complaint is unwarranted. These people are not looking to compliment and criticize when necessary, IMO, they have a battle ax that they’re going to grind no matter what. Unfortunately, it’s people like this that scare a lot of smaller businesses off social media, to the harm of everyone else.

• jesusofcool says:

Anyway, I think the moral of my post was to think before you bitch to a company via social media. Make sure you know of something they can reasonably do to resolve your experience. Senseless complaining only waters down the value of social media.

9. H3ion says:

The hand looks like it belongs to the brother of the creature from Pan’s Labyrinth. There’s nothing wrong with kvetching, whether it is on Consumerist (which seems to be 99% kvetch) or posting a review on Amazon or one of the other product review sites. The Internet has taken over the letters to the editor function in most cases. But in all fairness, when a company does something right, or above and beyond, there ought to be a way to give them credit publicly.

10. highmodulus says:

Ignoring them can lead to things like the United Airlines smashed guitar PR disaster.