Heads-Up FedEx Driver Makes Bonus Delivery Attempt

Reader Chris and his girlfriend were spared a long rush-hour drive through hideous Boston traffic because a FedEx driver making a large delivery to a single location had the good sense to load up his spare truck space with packages bound for nearby addresses.

Chris writes:

Hi consumerist,

Just wanted to pass along “above and beyond” kudos to a Fedex driver who saved us a ton of time today.

Backstory: I work from home in the Boston area when not traveling on business. Since I’ve been doing a lot less travel recently my GF and I have gotten in the habit of having packages sent to our home rather than our rented UPS Store mailbox because 99% of the time I’m able to catch at least one of the three attempted delivery attempts.

Amazon Prime is our friend and we order online very often.

My success rate at signing for packages took a plunge last week when travel and meetings forced me to miss all three Fedex delivery attempts for an important package my girlfriend was expecting.

Shortcut to today when my GF called me – she had been planning the extremely long and out of the way afterwork drive to the South Boston depot to pick up her package before it got sent back to the shipper. She called the depot to confirm that the package was still there and got a surprise result – the package was listed as being out for delivery again (attempt #4)! The dispatcher could not tell her why the box was out on a truck so my GF hung up and called me ASAP to tell me to keep an eye out.

As I was on the phone with her, Fedex arrived at our door.

After signing for the package I got the backstory on the extra delivery attempt. He told me that he was supposed to be working a downtown Boston route but got pulled onto another truck with a large bulk delivery to a single site near our home. Before leaving for his route he took a look through the depot for packages going close to where his bulk delivery had to be.

Ours was just one of (a few it seemed) that he put into his truck just to see if he could get them delivered while making his large run.

Anyway, this was a huge deal for us and saved my GF at least an hour and a half of rush-hour cross-city driving – all because a driver heading out with a big delivery took the extra time to see if anything else was going to the same area. There was no reason at all why Fedex had to make a 4th delivery attempt and we are darn happy they tried.

This was a thoughtful and efficient move on the driver’s part. It’s also nice to see that, at least somewhere in New England, going for it a fourth time worked out.

Comments

1. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Wow! I’d give that guy a tip!

2. TheBusDriver says:

Glad to hear to FedEx helping out – but waiting for the next article:
    “My GF drove an hour and half to pick up package and they had decided to redeliver it. What a waste of my time. Damn FedEx”

• solareclipse2 says:

An hour and a half could have turned into 3 hours round trip!

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

More so if there was an alien abduction. That lost time from their drives is a killer.

• dulcinea47 says:

Yeah, that has basically happened to me. I called UPS and asked them to hold the package b/c I knew I’d never be home when they tried to deliver it… but they put it on the truck anyway and I drove out to the industrial park for nothing. Not anywhere near a 1.5 hour drive for me, but still made my head explode.

• the atomic bombshell says:

I once had a package that I wasn’t going to be home to received (or they never bothered to see if we were home in the first place), so I called and made sure that it was at the depot. I took the bus out to the middle of nowhere, walked along the side of the road for 15 minutes (no sidewalks out there, and in the middle of winter), and discovered that my package had been sent back.

I hate UPS so much.

• the atomic bombshell says:

I hate UPS so much.

• Red Cat Linux says:

This did happen to me. I hauled ass after work through rush hour traffic out to some out of the way depot and when I finally got there, the person I spoke with said it was back out for delivery.

“well…. when will the driver be back?”

“Don’t know. You’ll have to check back on the status this evening or tomorrow”

So the next day found me hauling ass back out there to get it before it either got returned, or put on a truck for a 5th delivery.

3. calchip says:

Not to diminish the goodwill of the driver, but my understanding is that all FedEx Ground drivers are contractors, and get paid for each package they deliver, rather than a flat hourly wage, as FedEx Air and UPS drivers receive. So my guess is the driver was looking for a way to add a little extra income since he had extra space in his truck.

Doesn’t mean it wasn’t nice to not have to drive to the office, but I suspect his reasoning for making a 4th attempt was more about lining his pockets a lil extra than pure benevolence.

• MattPHS2002 says:

I’m not so sure that’s the case any more, my dad and I had that discussion, some court case that dealt with “could they use the trucks personally” because they were rented or not basically said either that are full on employees and can’t or that if you want to stick with the contractor bit they can use the trucks as they please.

• Ominous Gamer says:

I used to load trucks for FedEX Ground. They aren’t paid based solely on a flat rate or the amount they deliver. In fact, their per package delivery fee is peanuts, they usually end up taking the change (literally, padded evelopes ran 25 cents tops), and giving it to a truck loader they if they agreed to ride along to deliver packages so the driver never had to get out.

• pdj79 says:

Things must have changed in the past year or so because our dedicated driver for FedEx Ground at my last job used to comment on how much his pickup from us was going to net him, not to mention his earlier drop-off. He was contracted out of the old RPS hub in Indianapolis when Ground bought them and was basically making roughly $.20 per package…I worked for a major pharmaceutical company and his drop-offs usually consisted of about 80 boxes of returns while his pickup was about half of that. So in just his routes to us he was pulling about $30. Again, this might have been a setup due to FedEx purchasing an existing ground shipment company and all the employees were on a contract that mirrored their old RPS contract (they pretty much owned their own trucks), but I distinctly remember him bragging about a large haul from the local Borders distribution center resulting in an extra $300 on his paycheck.

4. wickedpixel says:

tomorrow’s headline:
    Overzealous delivery driver takes package for joyride while customer attempt pick-up from depot

• Wireless Joe says:

Or,

FedEx Delivery Driver Fired for Deliveries Made Out of Policy

• Cant_stop_the_rock says:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It’s great this worked out in their favor, but they would have been pissed if she drove all the way there and the package was gone. Hopefully it worked out similarly for the other recipients.

5. Garbanzo says:

We got some good service from a FedEx driver last week (my husband went to their website and filled out a comment form complimenting the employee) but we’ve got a bone to pick with their tracking computer system, from an unrelated delivery.

They tried to make a delivery on Friday that required a signature. They left on our door a form we could sign to get them to leave the package even if we aren’t home. We checked the website, which said that the expected delivery date for the package was Monday. Okay, then, we figured, they don’t deliver on Saturday. Since it was raining pretty steadily, we decided to leave the doorhanger-with-signature inside so it wouldn’t get too soggy.

We were out of the house for only about an hour on Saturday. Came home and found the FedEx “second delivery attempt” doorhanger. Grrrr! If the website had said “Expected delivery: Saturday” we would have left the signature card out on Saturday, and gotten our package then.

6. tbiscuit360 says:

That story is one of the most confusing stories I have ever read.

7. IndyJaws says:

“It’s also nice to see that, at least somewhere in New England, going for it a fourth time worked out.”

As my avatar demonstrates, I’m thrilled that it only worked out in one instance!

8. mobiuschic42 says:

Actually, the South Boston Fedex location is fantastic – they’re open until 9 or 10PM and on Saturdays, and they’re actually in the city of Boston. The UPS pickup centers are out in the suburbs and are only open until 7PM and only on weekdays so if you work, you’re practically forced to drive there in rush hour.
    Yes, this is great service on Fedex’s part, but they are already way above UPS in my Boston-delivery experience!

9. bennilynn says:

And UPS can’t even be flippin’ bothered to knock on the door of my apartment, even though I’m home during the day.

He just sticks the ‘Sorry we missed you!’ notice on the door and drives off. Drives me crazy.

• tbax929 says:

My experience is just the opposite; I guess it depends on where you live. UPS is my shipper of choice because they always get me my shipments on time. FedEx is terrible where I live. In fact, they just lost ANOTHER one of my Amazon packages. Amazon was kind enough to resend it – this time they sent it UPS, and I received it the next day.

• ZeGoggles says:

This happened to me, but with FexEx. Luckily, I checked the tracking information online just at the right time. I paid extra for Saturday delivery too. I got on the phone at that point and told them to get the driver back out, now.

I got my package. The driver was pretty quiet when he had to come back.

10. Noir says:

let’s hope the driver doesn’t gets fired

11. HogwartsProfessor says:

It looks like the OP actually got a good driver. Ground drivers are subcontracted and it’s a tossup whether you get a good one or a bad one. We had a pretty good one for a while but he left for health reasons and eventually passed away. After him, we got DrugBoy, who looked stoned all the time and couldn’t be bothered to even show up, or showed up way before the ready time, presumably so he could knock off early. I called the terminal and talked to the manager and he was out pretty quick. The driver we have now is awesome. The Express ones are even better. I schmooze with them pretty heavily; it pays off when someone gives me a package at the last minute and I have to ask them to wait a second while I dash off a label.

It does vary by where you are. In New York, the Maspeth terminal is a joke; I always cringe when I see a package has gone through there. But FedEx customer service reps are actually pretty nice most of the time, and do try to help you. Even they have told me that terminal stinks. And even though you have to talk to a computer at first, if you say “Customer Rep” you get a human almost immediately.

12. mxlu says:

I had nothing but a wonder experience when it comes to FedEx shipping my packages. They arrive early in the day and they usually do a second run in the late evening if I wasn’t home earlier in the day. UPS on the other hand take FOREVER! One time they had one of package in their warehouse sitting there for over a week. I usually ship through FedEx for my bigger or expensive packages and USPS for my smaller ones mainly because both provide the fastest shipping times.

13. Jerkamie says:

I’m sure the 4th attempted delivery ended up on his truck by accident not because he was a “hero”.

14. Rena says:

This isn’t standard policy? >.>

15. usa_gatekeeper says:

Gee, I wonder if the “big truck” driver considered where low overpasses might be between him and those last-minute-on-the-big-truck small deliveries.

• Cant_stop_the_rock says:

I’m trying to figure out why you put “big truck” in quotes, because I don’t see those two words next to each other and I think you’ve fabricated the idea that this was a “big truck” making the delivery. The article doesn’t say it was a big truck, it says the driver was making a single big delivery… with a truck.

• teamplur says:

Also, as a professional driver, you generally know where obstacles are that you cannot pass. I’m sure he knows the area pretty well or at least had a good idea.

• teamplur says:

16. thepassenger says:

I had a FedEx drive make a second delivery attempt on the same day, after I’d come home from work and found the redelivery/signature slip–because he was going past my house on his way back to the depot.

17. teamplur says:

When i saw “bonus delivery attempt” I thought it was gonna say something about the driver ‘attempting’ to give the OPs GF a “bonus delivery”. LIke… something they didn’t order….
    you know what i’m talking about.

i’m talking about sex >_>

18. pot_roast says:

“our rented UPS Store mailbox ” – I have actually had FedEx tell me that they would not deliver to a UPS Store box. It was fine when it was Mail Boxes, Etc but then UPS bought them and they became the UPS Store. I ended up having to move my mailbox to a locally owned place instead.

• Britt says:

I work at a UPS Store and FedEx delivers to our mailbox holders all the flipping time. It’s a street address – whether or not it’s in a UPS Store or not makes no difference.

• Britt says:

19. P_Smith says:

Whenever I hear about someone “going that extra mile” to help customers, there’s one thought that always pops into my mind immediately:

“He must be a new employee. He’s not going to last long in that company.”

20. mbnovik says:

Jules: This was Divine Intervention! You know what “divine intervention” is?
    Vincent: Yeah, I think so. That means God came down from Heaven and stopped the bullets.
    Jules: Yeah, man, that’s what it means. That’s exactly what it means! God came down from Heaven and stopped the bullets.
    Vincent: I think we should be going now.
    Jules: Don’t do that! Don’t you fucking do that! Don’t blow this shit off! What just happened was a fucking miracle!
    Vincent: Chill the fuck out, Jules, this shit happens.
    Jules: Wrong! Wrong, this shit doesn’t just happen.
    Vincent: Do you wanna continue this theological discussion in the car, or at the jailhouse with the cops?
    Jules: We should be fuckin’ dead now, my friend! We just witnessed a miracle, and I want you to fucking acknowledge it!
    Vincent: Okay man, it was a miracle, can we leave now?

21. larkknot says:

Wow. FedEx and UPS both just leave my packages on my front porch without knocking. Sometimes they leave my neighbor’s packages there too.

22. Trick says:

I recieved a FedEx package last Friday night around 6:30PM. First time a FedEx package has been sent my way in a long time. The FedEx guy rang my doorbell and I was on our couch near the door. It didn’t take me 15 seconds to get to my door and the FedEx guy was already back in his truck, with it started and getting ready to drive off. Heck, even running it should take at least 30 seconds to get to the street from my front door so this guy must have had a moped or something!

23. nullrout says:

I want this FedEx driver transferred to my route!

24. theothered says:

Now not to be a troublemaker but if I knew I had missed the 3 delivery attempts, drove all the way over to the depot to pick up my package, found out that it wasn’t there because some PT driver had thrown it in his truck for an unauthorized 4th delivery attempt, I’d be a little aggravated, wouldn’t you?

25. EndlessCT9A says:

I’ve had really great experiences with FedEx over the years with small packages, documents and even document tubes sent across the country and sometimes overseas. Never has a package been lost, damaged or late. With UPS, however, they’ve lost packages, broken packages and delivered documents 2 days late (even though I paid for expedited overnight). What can Brown do for me? Go f*ck themselves.