Reader Angered By QVC $150 Markup Wii

A reader saw the $150 marked-up Wii on QVC and became so incensed that he immediately left an impassioned voicemail on our voicemail tipline (347-422-6695). I love this thing:

TRANSCRIPT: “It just blows my mind. I’m sitting here watching QVC of all things. They’re trying to sell this terrible Wii package. They’re clearly ripping people off for it, yet thousands are buying it. It’s basically the package of stuff that comes with the box normally, a bunch of useless attachments, a bargain bin game, and yet it’s $150 more than the normal package together. I’ve seen other places that give you actually really good packages for so much less than this, and I cannot stand idly by and watch something like this happen while people are getting ripped off left and right.

At a certain point, I actually put it together that they had sold 1,500 of them, at $350 with shipping, they’re getting a half a million dollars in revenue on this alone. And by the time I’ve called you guys, they’ve probably sold almost close to a thousand more. It’s rediculous. It’s mind-numbing, it’s infuriating.

I know that the people that read this would never fall for something like this, the sheer audacity of a place like this, I can’t stand it. It’s junk they’re peddling to people, they’re preying on the stupid. I know this sounded like a rant, I wanted to get this off my chest and out to people that understand this, so you guys put this on the site, go ahead, I’d like to hear some of the feedback from other people who’ve seen this, and hopefully we can warn other people not to be swayed by this. Thank you for your time.” :: END TRANSCRIPT

PREVIOUSLY: QVC Tricks Thousands Into Overpaying For Wii and Accessories

Comments

1. kuhjäger says:

QVC is a business. They make a profit by selling things, and some people don’t do their research, or maybe live in an area without a Best Buy or other place to even buy it, but their kids have been begging for one for a while and this is the only way to get it.

If someone is willing to pay that price, fine.

Quit whining.

• TheObserver says:

TOTALLY agree with you. While it is annoying to see such markups for what some may consider overpriced goods, if people are willing to buy it, so be it. No need to destroy your blood pressure over it. It’s not like QVC is committing a violent crime or endangering the double horned furry hippopotamus in the Amazon basin. It’s not like this reader was overcharged on their credit card over a thousand dollars.

Much ado about nothing. I swear, QVC is becoming like the confession booth of the world wide web, anyone and everyone with what they perceive to be a grudge or slight will whine and cry about anything and everything.

• redskull says:

What can you say– the majority of people are stupid and don’t know how much things do or should cost.

That’s why you can sell a $25 purse for $500 just by putting “Louis Vuitton” on it.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Well, if that Louis Vuitton is real, and is hand-stitched in France or the United States, it’s a lot more than $25.

• dreamcatcher2 says:

I know I’m totally going on a tangent here, but I never understood why people like “hand stitched” and other handmade stuff so much. Machines are a LOT better at stitching than human are.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Modern technology can replace a lot of things, but I have a lot of appreciation for handmade items. I’ve been looking at some new furniture, and I found this amazing hand-carved table. Machines can do it better, I’m sure, but to have something that a person or group of people put so much dedication into …that’s pretty awesome.

• Timbojones says:

Machines can do it more consistently and faster. I don’t know about better. ‘Better’ is a pretty big umbrella.

• DanFromDetroit says:

I used to work designing automated assembly lines for automotive welding. In that case – machines are are definitely better. But maybe that’s an extreme case.

• El_Red says:

Nope, not really. Depends what you are stitching. In some cases, like leather, item becomes more durable, since there is less pressure/rips on the leather itself. However, I agree that Vutton is overpriced. I also find these bags horribly ugly. A ”fair trade” leather bag (a real purse/great quality) retails 100$/200$. Another reason not to be a ”brand whore”.

• Skankingmike says:

yea maybe 100 dollars, the leather isn’t worth much and labor is maybe 14-15 an hour maybe. So what exactly are you paying for? The name of course. it most likely costs the company 20-30 dollars a purse and people pay 600 i like that mark up.

• harrier666 says:

At a party, two people had matching bags. We all joked about it for a bit then moved on. APPARENTLY, one was real LV and the other was a rip off. The girl with the real bag fought the other girl later, telling her she was a “moron” for paying $20 bucks for a ripoff of her $5000 bag.. Yes.. she said $5000. Who is the moron? Personally, if 99% of people can’t tell the difference, I am going to save my $5000… and my $20.. because personally, I think they are hideous. But, in my mind, the $20 bag wins. 4980 bucks does not make up for having a pretty name on the label.

• Garybaldy says:

I like how you refer to people that do not know what ‘you know’ as stupid.

It is almost guaranteed that you pay to much for something. That you do not want to bother learning to do your self. Does that make you stupid?

• Pepster says:

+1 from me too. You are one-hundred percent right. I commonly use the phrase: “Welcome to capitalism, get a helmet” – There is no requirement for QVC to look out for everyone else’s best interest.

They are not: Lying about the contents of the package, the capabilities of the system, or what the final cost will be. All the information required to make a purchase decision is being presented to the customer. If they choose to be uninformed, or even find this to be a more attractive deal than buying online (Some folks still don’t trust web shopping!) than so be it. This is $150 in brand equity and the convenience of not having to go out or learn to shop online.

That does not mean they are getting “riped off” – they are simply “overpaying”. The difference is HUGE.

• fantomesq says:

If someone is willing to pay the price offered, that IS the going price for that bundle. There are many other considerations for some people – convenience being one of them.Just because its not a good deal for YOU doesn’t mean others might not think it is – apparently 1500 someones.

• Telekinesis123 says:

Well people like you will always maintain the status quo, how boring.

• jesusofcool says:

Just because it’s legal and a legitimate form of business doesn’t mean it’s ethical. They are clearly taking advantage of their target audience, whom they assume (correctly, unfortunately) do not know the average retail price of the Wii and its accessories. Between the fact that it’s the holidays and QVC’s audience is largely the elderly who probably don’t know much about gaming systems, it’s preying on people. As I understand it, one reason Consumerist exists is to point out business types being unethical! So yeah, IMO, whether or not it’s legal or profitable means nothing.

• nycdesigner says:

QVC is for folks too fat to get off their ass to get it at WalMart or other BBS. Let them pay more. I think they’re even testing one-click purchasing with the TiVo remotes, so you can impulse spend more of your government checks even quicker.

• theblackdog says:

Now that is uncalled for. My cousin uses QVC often, but that’s because she has hip dysplasia and doing a lot of walking (like in a BBS) is not easy and exhausts her. Furthermore, she does work for a living and doesn’t require “government checks” as you so eloquently put it.

2. bonzombiekitty says:

I file this under “who cares?”. Stores will sell things at a price that they can get people to pay. If people don’t put in even the smallest but of effort to shop around, and end up over paying, then that’s their own fault. Unless there’s outright lying involved, I don’t see a problem.

• Kitamura says:

Agreed, the MSRP on something is only the suggested price. If a store wanted to try to sell a Wii for $1000, they could go ahead and try, no guarantees on sales though.

3. temporaryscars says:

Who cares? It’s an idiot tax. If you don’t want to pay it, don’t be an idiot. I’m not surprised how well they’re selling. If you’re dumb enough to buy a Wii in the first place, you’re dumb enough to overpay for it as well.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Hey, I defend the Wii! Hands down, we use our PS3 a lot more, but when my young relatives are around, the Wii is their favorite thing because they get to run around with a remote and play some Wii bowling. And it’s done wonders for a lot of older people who can’t figure out a XBox controller, but sure as heck can swing a Wii-mote and get some exercise.

• Kuchen says:

I love our Wii. I’m much more of a casual gamer, and the Wii really has the games that I like: puzzles, platformers, party games. And Mario Kart. I’m pretty sure we’ve gotten enough enjoyment out of just Mario Kart to justify the price of the Wii.

• jesusofcool says:

Agreed! Yay non-violent fun games! I totally love my Wii! (and yeah, I’m a gamer too – I’ve had PS2, N64 and play RPGs, but I’m not a big fan of first person shooters so Wii offers a great selection)

You “real gamers” can keep your Xbox 360 and RROD.

• Julia789 says:

Wii is fun. I played super mario galaxy with my 8-year-old, and we had a lot of fun and laughs.

Our local senior center has the Wii, and all the old folks fight over the bowling game. They are crazy for it.

• pop top says:

While I agree with you about the “idiot tax”, the Wii is a ton of fun. Just ask anyone who has played the new Super Mario Bros. game. That shit is crazy.

• temporaryscars says:

I’m speaking more about the motion controls. Of the few games that actually use them, they barely work and are only added to go along with the whole Wii gimmick.

For people who aren’t really into games, I’m sure the Wii is great, but most real gamers don’t even consider the Wii to even be a gaming console.

• the atomic bombshell says:

I love the No True Gamer arguments. What’s a True Gamer? It always seems to be “whatever I am and you aren’t”. Good times.

• temporaryscars says:

You know, nerds mostly, as opposed to housewives and old people.

• brandihendrix says:

A little full of yourself, aren’t we? Just because someone isn’t a “gamer” doesn’t mean they can’t enjoy it, or need to feel bad about it.

And FYI: I’m happily NOT a gamer, hence I get laid every once in awhile.

• temporaryscars says:

Thanks for that little piece of information. I was really wondering about that. Now I can sleep at night.

• lotussix says:

gamers get laid too.

i am a casual gamer, but i’m usually pretty good at the games i do play.

it’s like golf, i’d rather golf with someone who knows how to golf than someone who has never golfed before.

• Tiaris says:

Agreed. I am a “true gamer” as is my husband. We have all the current-gen consoles and a few previous gen. We have a huge collection of games, and we play them regularly, as well as WoW.

We love our Wii. For the games it does well. Wii Sports/Resort and Boomblox are genius group and party games. And while some rather hermety geeks don’t like that “socializing” thing, those of us gamers who are *well-rounded*, it’s a great way to include gamers and non-gamers alike in competitive, interactive games.

• trujunglist says:

The point of the gamer vs. non-gamer argument is that the Wii was clearly designed and marketed for non-gamers rather than actual gamers. You can be a gamer and still like the Wii. You can also be into music and like Britney Spears. They’re both still garbage.

• Shadowfire says:

Funny, I own almost every console out there, I’ve got 35 hours logged on Modern Warfare 2’s multiplayer, am a die hard fanatic of the Devil May Cry series, have replayed Final Fantasy VI at least a dozen times… yet I still think of the Wii as a fantastic gaming system. Just because you haven’t bothered to try the truly great games on it doesn’t mean its bad. Try out Muramasa, Zak & Wiki, Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Bros Wii, Boom Blox.. there are plenty of titles that leverage the motion controls and are still awesome.

The elitist attitude you have does nothing for the gaming community except make us look like a bunch of assholes. Stop it.

• temporaryscars says:

You mean you have to use your hands? That’s like a baby’s toy!

• RogerTheAlien says:

Yes! BTTF:II FTW! I IMMEDIATELY thought of that when I first saw the Wii. I even made that exact comment to someone who gave me this blank look like I was mentally challenged. People just don’t get mid-to-late 90’s pop-culture references like they used to. *sigh*

• s73v3r says:

Do not start with that “The Wii isn’t for REAL gamers” bullshit. There are no true gamers, any more than there are any true Scotsmen.

• Mr_Human says:

There are many kinds of idiots.

• Garybaldy says:

I wonder how many posters here can not do basic maintenance on a vehicle, or cook, or clean, etc etc. I am sure people who consider those very simple tasks view those who can not as idiots.

Always amusing seeing someone call someone else an idiot for lack of knowledge in a certain area.

• Julia789 says:

I’m glad to know you think my widowed mother is an “idiot” for purchasing something nice for her 8-year-old grandson. She’s also handicapped and has trouble going into big-box stores. QVC ordering gives her freedom. We’ve bought her a laptop and tried to teach her how to shop online but she hasn’t gotten the hang of it yet. We’re just happy she’s getting the hang of email to keep in touch.

So yes, she will pay more for something from QVC, but she can shop from home easily and not in pain, they take the guesswork out of things for her, and she’s happy to pay for that convenience premium. She is well aware she’d pay less if she hobbled into a big box store, but weighs the decision.

• nycdesigner says:

Since you know about the Consumerist, and also your widowed mother, means you can educate her to not buy electronic things on QVC without checking with you first. Then you could buy it online, or show her how with that laptop.

• Julia789 says:

I would love to do so, and have advised her that I’d help her shop online (and I have before, I set up an Amazon.com account with her credit card, and order what she phones me and asks me to order for her.) But sometimes she buys gifts and wants them to be a surprise. In that case she will not ask for help.

She really wants to remain independent but can’t figure out computers. My father used to handle anything “technical” until he died in 2008. She still sometimes puts spaces in email addresses or types “at” instead of @. She’s 70 years old, it’s not going to come easy. She’s smart, she was a nurse. It’s just that computers are tough for her.

I walked her almost entirely through an online order by phone, and she couldn’t get off the checkout screen. She was typing “C.A.” instead of CA for California, the old fashioned abbreviations for states with periods. It was giving her error messages but not specifically telling her what was wrong – just that she needed to “reenter her information.” She gave up.

It’s the use of the term “idiot” against someone who is a well meaning, wonderful person, and doesn’t have a lot of options for shopping that is upsetting.

• Garybaldy says:

Using all the logic i see with the “idiot” statements above. I guess people who pay a premium to have someone fix there car instead of learning how to do it themselves are idiots. People who always eat out because they can not be bothered to cook or learn how to cook are idiots.

This list could go on and on. Just for a fair shake i hope people knowledgeable in other areas refer to some of the people posting here as idiots for paying above what they consider to be a good price.

4. pop top says:

On the one hand, I think it’s terrible that they’re taking advantage of people who might not be familiar with the cost of the system + accessories by jacking up the price so high, but on the other hand, there’s nothing stopping those people from doing some actual research. It should be common sense by now that if you are buying electronics or spending a large amount of money, you should probably do some sort of research on the item.

• s73v3r says:

It still is pretty unethical. I know many people here were upset back when the Wii came out, and every store was trying to force you into some kind of “bundle” with shitty games because they were so rare. This is the same thing, except the Wii supply is pretty stable nowadays.

5. LESSTHANKIND says:

People who shop on QVC tend to not comparison-shop. They take the word of the on-air personalities as gospel; they trust them like they’re family. It’s an odd cult. I know because my mother is a member of The Cult of QVC. She buys tons of crap she doesn’t need at prices she doesn’t have to pay, all because the nice folks on QVC are so convincing…

6. lotussix says:

qvc is for the ease of shopping at home. i’ve seen computers on there while flipping channels and have to laugh at what you get for the prices they charge.

it’s not meant to be a bargain center.

7. tigress says:

dummies. always compare prices! you make us all look like idiots!

8. AstroPig7 says:

Amazing! The first three comments are all of the “why is this on Consumerist” nature. This must be some sort of record. I agree that the consumer should always do their research beforehand, but gouging is always a consumer issue, and the perpetrators should be publicly shamed for ripping people off.

9. NotYou007 says:

So why is their another story about this when we just read about this not that long ago?

10. Esquire99 says:

This isn’t really price gouging. Price gauging is selling an item that people NEED at an inflated price. Take gasoline for example. People NEED gasoline and aren’t usually in a position to “comparison shop.” Further, people generally have to pay the price regardless of whether they think it is a “Fair” price or not.

However, when it comes to a piece of electronics used solely for recreational purposes, I don’t think “gouging” is an appropriate term. The people buying the Wii from QVC have clearly determined that, to them, $350 is a fair price for what is being offered. If they didn’t think it was a fair price they wouldn’t buy it. The fact that the Wii can be procured elsewhere for less money doesn’t change the fact that QVC’s shoppers thought that $350 was fair and they were willing to pay it.

• AstroPig7 says:

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, gouge simply means “to cheat”. Usage depends on the area, but I’ve always heard it as a short-term alternative for profiteer. The word was originally a U.S. term, so I suspect it’s a regional thing.

• Esquire99 says:

Perhaps you’re right on regional usage. Either way, this isn’t “gouging” even in the “to cheat” or “to swindle” sense. The person buying the Wii is getting exactly what is advertised. It’s not like QVC is advertising a Wii and actually selling them a Nintendo 64. The fact it is charging more than its competitors doesn’t mean they are “cheating” their customers. If that’s the case, all of you who claim that Mom and Pop stores are good should consider that the Mom and Pop stores charge more than WalMart does for cereal; does that make Mom and Pop swindlers or price-gougers?

• AstroPig7 says:

There’s a difference between “unable to compete” and “unwilling to compete”. If a store can’t get goods for the same prices as Wal-Mart, then they logically must charge more than Wal-Mart (with the exception of door-busters, sales, and whatnot). However, I seriously doubt that QVC is in this position with the Wii, so their markup is indefensible. Excessive profit remains such, even when the goods in question are not essential and even when it’s an “idiot tax”. After all, no consumer began life knowledgeable.

• Esquire99 says:

I disagree. Again, the buyers here are getting exactly what was advertised and what they paid for. The fact they could have gotten it elsewhere is irrelevant to whether they were “swindled.” Further, QVC isn’t under any obligation to “compete” with its competitors. Clearly QVC has determined that it doesn’t have to compete, at least not on price, with Best Buy, Amazon or WalMart. It has a customer base that chooses to do business with them anyway.

• AstroPig7 says:

I never said they were swindled. (Unfortunately, while these words are all similar, they are not synonymous in all contexts.) I agree that QVC is delivering exactly what they advertise, but I disagree that the markup is defensible. It is not illegal, which is why I’ve purposefully avoided saying such, but it is unethical. There are only two reasons to buy this package: You don’t know that the price is outrageous for one of various reasons, or you’re just lazy. QVC has the legal right to market to both of these groups, but I submit that doing so is unethical because it takes advantage of the former group.

• Noir says:

let’s take the “I do it myself at home” route. Just because a cafe charges you 10 bucks for a cup of tea and toasts doesn’t means that they’re “gouging” you, or is it?

• AstroPig7 says:

It depends on how they justify the additional cost. Some coffee shops claim that you’re paying for atmosphere, quality ingredients, and whatnot, but even this has limits. If one coffee shop gets good ingredients for a lower price than another coffee shop, then the difference in price cannot necessarily be attributed to gouging. However, if a coffee shop is charging an outrageously higher price (let’s say at least $2.00 more) for the sake of profit, then that is gouging or profiteering.

• fantomesq says:

Price gouging as a legal term refers to necessities that are highly inflated during or after a crisis/disaster.This doesn’t meet the legal definition but it may meet the common understanding of the term.

11. lincolnparadox says:

Man, some of you guys are cynical jerkholes.

Perhaps this tipster wants to make people into better consumers?

It’s my understanding that the role of The Consumerist (and Consumer Reports) is not to just make YOU into a more educated and cautious consumer, but it is to make EVERYONE into more educated and cautious consumers. If you don’t give a crap about the morons paying too much, or the people getting screwed over by credit card companies, or the kids eating poison paint on Chinese toys, then why post comments at all? I’m pretty sure that very few people want to hear the opinions of an arrogant, selfish douche who made all the right choices. If you don’t have something useful to say, don’t make someone’s bad day worse with your vitriol.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

One consequence of these kinds of posts is that they show up more readily in a Google search. If QVC shoppers do any kind of Google search on the Wii, not only would they find information stating that the Wii itself is much less than what it is being sold for on QVC, they may very likely see this post or the one it references. When people see that QVC is selling a bundle at $150 markup, they’ll think twice about doing it. Money speaks to people, and I see it as a side benefit if this post ends up in one of the first few search returns.

In fact, when I search for “QVC sells Wiis” the first four returns I get are about how QVC is selling the bundle at a markup. And the eighth return is from Consumerist, linking to the original story from November!

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

I agree! What is driving me insane is, that people have the balls to sit there and say over and over that the article “Isn’t news” or similar statements… when I joined Consumerist, I learned a LOT about companies I hadn’t batted an eye at before, even from small stories such as this. My grandmother is an AVID QVC USER and I forwarded this article to her, just to show her how much they can rip people off. It’s not just for us Consumerists- it’s for everyone who uses the internet and wants to learn how to better protect themselves from shitty companies. We might send our relatives the funny ones, learn from the serious, and have a choice few in between that we can use to pursuade someone of a potential problem. (such as my grandmother)

This might not be “news” to some, but it IS to others.

• MaxSmart32 says:

Here here! I second that!

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

I just want to give you a big ole hug and a kiss. Thank you thank you thank you. This site has gone to hell with some of these commenters :(

• s73v3r says:

I felt tempted to hit the “Flag for Review” button on your comment, in the hopes that one of the editors would see it and mod you up or promote you in some way.

• ceez says:

I was thinking the same thing in regards to some of the posts.

Just because you’re educated about the pricing structure and have probably learned some more about other stuff thanks to the consumerist doesnt mean you have to jump this guy. He’s passionate about not getting ripped off as much as you are. He just happens to care more than you because he picked up the phone and had the b@lls to call.

That’s what is wrong with this country, all about me-me-me and scr3w everyone else.

• Kid Awesome says:

Where is the “+1″ button. Cause you deserve it. Right on.

12. eccsame says:

Did the guy spell “ridiculous” wrong in the voicemail too?

13. nodaybuttoday says:

I wouldn’t be that concerned with it, I am sure that those “products sold” numbers are a lie to get people to call up because, “oh no! they might sell out!”. I think QVC preys more on the elderly who don’t know how to use a computer and do research and say, “hot dog! I can get my grandson one of those game-thingy machines for Christmas!” and don’t know any better. Because really, who shops QVC these days?

• unpolloloco says:

You don’t need the internet to do price research on a wii. A best buy ad will suffice.

If QVC wanted to sell their bundle for $200,000, it is completely within their rights to do so.

14. phaedrus says:

Gouging, of course. Business decision, of course. Business relies on an available group of people to play by different rules than it does: a group basing buying decisions on moral/ethical/emotional guidance (which is manipulable by business) while the business itself operates with only the law as limit, or at least likely-to-be-enforced law. Business has more input to creating and applying law than people. If a business like QVC gets branded as “immoral” and avoided by people making “moral” decisions it will adjust to another form/name that those people would not recognize, thus allow themselves to be manipulated again. If people played by the rules of business then they’d check an accident victim’s wallet before administering first aid, so changing people into business probably isn’t an answer. At least in any culture you might want to be around. The answer is to regulate the interface between people and business so it can not victimize people. We’ve been going the other way a long time now.

15. Kamidari says:

While I’m sure it’s not the best deal ever, it seems to include some other games and accessories that aren’t included with a standard Wii. So, it’s a bundle, which retailers of all sorts have been doing on Wiis for quite a while. I know this link isn’t the exact one in the screenshot, but it has additional games and accessories, and is even cheaper than the one shown. http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.E165361.desc.Ship-1219-Nintendo-Wii-Gaming-System-wAccessCase-Games

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

But the bundle is $150 more expensive than if you had just purchased everything separately. In the original post that this post references (click on the link at the top of this post) it gives a rundown of everything the bundle on QVC is advertising, and how much these things cost if you just bought them separately, or even at one store. It was about $150 more through QVC,

• Kamidari says:

Well, the whole bundle is $150 more than just a Wii, so clearly it’s less than $150 more, unless all the other stuff is worth $0. Which I suppose it is if you didn’t want it anyway, but it obviously has some retail value. The bundle I linked to also includes a component cable and messenger bag, neither of which were included with my Wii, as I recall.

Again, it’s surely not a great deal, but I don’t think it’s nearly $150 overpriced, either.

16. Brazell says:

QVC used to be able to justify some price increases by delivering convenience: the ability to shop at home. But, now, with the advent of the internet… who would ever want to shop over their television — unless they didn’t know about the power of the internet.

Something, though, happened with telephone shopping. My mother, an avid telephone shopper buying from catalogs and everything else, was always more than willing to purchase items over the phone. In the olden days of the internet, though, she was always weary of buying anything online for security reasons. Now, today, I’m the opposite. I do not trust giving my credit card information over the airwaves… I hardly ever do it, unless I absolutely have to, yet I intrinsically trust online purchases and buy almost all expensive items online. It’s weird.

17. Magspie says:

To all the people that aren’t bothered at all by this: Don’t you have any gullible older loved ones you care about? Have a heart. Naive doesn’t equal idiot. They don’t deserve to be ripped off. Maybe by some chance one of them will be saved from QVC because this is posted here.

• Esquire99 says:

Ripped-off is subjective. If they feel like they are paying a fair price for the item, there isn’t a problem. This isn’t a home or car repair that they have to get done and the person is taking advantage of that fact and their age/incompetence by overcharging them. This is a 100% voluntary and unnecessary purchase. Unless the buyer feels like they are overpaying, they aren’t. Here, if the buyer feels like they are being ripped off and they still proceed to purchase, well then they are just dumb.

18. lestergazer says:

How is this any different than my dad buying his dream car (a 74 ‘vette) for $28k, and not knowing that it needed $20k worth of work to get it to run?

Has “caveat emptor” no meaning anymore? Luckily, my pops is rich and it didnt’ bother him much, but, wow, boo-hoo. Oh, and btw, the OP was not a consumer since he didn’t buy anything; just a whiner. Too much Emergen-C, methinks.

19. rev_matt_y says:

QVC’s target audience is primarily older women. Grandmothers buying a Wii for their grandkids sees it on her favorite channel and decides to order it from them instead of doing any research. QVC has a reputation amongst their fans for always providing good value for the money, and in areas where their base has some real direct knowledge (jewelry, clothing, cosmetics) they generally do provide good values. When it gets to things their viewers would be buying as gifts (tools, electronics) their prices are absolutely awful. I have a number of relatives and in-laws who are huge fans of QVC and HSN, every time I see anything in the electronics world come up on the screen I point out just how bad the price is (usually 25-30% higher than you’d pay at any brick and mortar chain, often for very outdated hardware or low quality brands when dealing with computers).

20. Mike@moneylounge.net says:

Is this any different than what Best Buy, Radio Shack, or any other electronic store does. If you do your research, most things (especially electronic accessories) can be found online for a fraction of the cost. Yeah you have take care of shipping, but keep looking and you can get that for free on some sites.

It’s the convenience of having it now that you’re paying for. So for the people who don’t want to leave the couch, you are going to have pay a little bit extra.

21. Naame says:

Putting all pro-business/pro-consumer bias aside, I do like how people are taking it upon themselves to try and spread this sort of information. The more we enable consumers to become easily informed the better we as consumers can regulate our own markets and inspire more consumer friendly competition.

22. vesper says:

And this guy has a problem because of ?????? What difference does it make to him what price any business charges if he is not purchasing it? I don’t understand those that get upset by actions that have not yet been taken. Does this guy need therapy? Prozac? Decaf coffee?

• Cyberxion says:

You know, you don’t have to be personally effected by something to want to help others avoid it. This is one of the core concepts that drives this site, and being that you’re here and reading stories, one would reasonably assume that it’s a concept you should have at least a passing familiarity with. Can’t imagine why you’d hang around here otherwise.

Like so many others have said, QVC’s primary audience is the elderly, who might not know that they’re being ripped off, nor be aware of how to better inform themselves. While nothing QVC has done here is illegal, the OP passed this along in the hopes that it would leave people better informed. Which is, you know, the whole point of this site.

Yet it’s the OP that needs help? Please.

23. joetan says:

I also yell at the TV and irritate the wife when I pass by this “deal” BUT this is a free country and it’s not against any law to make money on something. Busiensses need to make money to stay in business (regardless of what Obama and friends think).

If someone is stupid enough to pay double for something they should be able to do so. Just like the people that buy Shamwow and all that other junk that’s just a shipping and processing scam anyway.

24. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I’m not against making a few extra bucks off of stupid people. If they aren’t smart enough to figure out that it isn’t a good deal, then that is their problem. QVC has a right to make a profit, even off of dumb people.

25. BlueFox says:

I purchased a radio/cassette player from QVC a looooong time ago. Wouldn’t you know it, I found the exact same player a week later in a store at HALF the cost. I haven’t purchased anything from them since. This was over a decade ago.

26. The Marionette says:

Eh, if people are willing to pay that much, then let them it’s their money they’re blowing. I would honestly just buy online if there wasn’t a bestbuy/walmart/etc near by.

27. Bix says:

This still isn’t as bad as HSN’s handling of a netbook (and no, there were no accessories) a few months ago: http://electronics.hsn.com/gateway-10-1-lcd-1gb-ram-160gb-hdd-laptop-computer-webcam_m-10046898_xp.aspx?webp_id=5658336&web_id=5658336&ocm=hpr

They claim that “Retail Value” is $773.36, with the usual HSN price
    being $429.90. The “special event price” when I saw it was $379.90.

It retails for $299.99: http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668299.php

To create a perceived bargain while overcharing, they claimed the retail price was more than double that of what it actually is. The difference between the actual retail price and what they claimed was the retail price was $473.37, $173.38 more than the item actually costs at retail.

At least QVC didn’t falsely advertise the Wii by claiming a retail price that’s more than double the real one.

28. PanCake BuTT says:

You know what ?!?! I WOULD pay the $150 difference for this QVC Wii, if & ONLY if, we can see that DumbAss host play a mean game of tennis, only to have the Wii Chuck fly out of his hands and crack the flatscreen tv.

ohhhh QVC…you really can’t out do yourselves!

29. RavenWarrior says:

I’m actually the guy who left the voicemail used for this, and sadly a confessed Best Buy video gaming employee. I realize that The Consumerist already covered this story once; i did soon after i left the voicemail by doing a search (stupid me). I just hate people getting ripped off, especially for something I sell on a daily basis, and I know no one here would fall for this joke of a bundle. I didn’t know whether to be angry or to laugh my head off watching as the whitest old guys ever tried to sell the thing.

MaybeIi do need therapy, or Prozac… but not decaf. I don’t drink coffee.

30. akuma_619 says:

Its fucking ridiculous the prices. If everyone Just didn’t shop there or any retailer that rips you off they will die off. He is right they prey on the “stupid”, and uninformed (older people). And its shame but with QVC you expect to be ripped off.

31. MoodyTurtle says:

Hey…caveat emptor!!!

32. Red_Eye says:

And how many of your grandmothers would buy one because its something they know you want but they aren’t savvy enough to know they are getting robbed.

33. OminousCrunchy says:

That seems a lot like Best Buy’s PS3 “Starter kit” – no games, but for an extra $100 more, you get an additional controller and an overpriced rocketfish hdmi cable: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PlayStation+3+Starter+Bundle/9999118400050000.p?id=pcmprd118500050000&skuId=9999118400050000

Sold out now, so obviously a lot of people thought it was a good deal, although I’m sure you could buy those items separately for better prices, especially the hdmi cable (monoprice.com is my choice for hdmi cables).