Is Romance Ruining Your Waistline? “A study looked at almost 1300 ‘romantic partners’ and found women who lived with a partner for at least a year increased the likelihood of being obese. For men, the odds of being obese doubled after 1 year of cohabitation. The study also found that couples who lived together for two or more years were significantly more likely to have at least one partner be obese, and they were also less physically active than couples who were dating. ” [Consumer Reports Health]

Comments

1. MostlyHarmless says:

Moral of the story: Do not live with someone unless you want to live with them for the rest of your life. Otherwise that perfect someone will find you unattractive.

2. ChuckECheese says:

The solution to this unintended consequence of cohabitation is more sex, less food.

3. madanthony says:

Well, that makes sense. I mean, one of my main motivators for losing weight was that I thought it would help me with the ladies.

It didn’t, though….

4. HIV 2 Elway says:

The old bait and switch…

5. Jfielder says:

I don’t live with my girlfriend…. But I do know from past relationships that eating out can certainly add a lot of calories to your diet. With my current girlfriend we try and make meals together more often. That way it will be healthier, since we know exactly what we’re putting in it, and it’s a fun way for us to spend time together. Not to mention, it saves a ton of money….

6. Tim says:

This goes along with the general idea of no longer caring about one’s appearance. When I had my first girlfriend, I showed less, frequently wore pajama pants and hoodies to class, etc.

Of course, this goes against the well-documented fact that girls who are taken are more attractive.

7. henrygates3 says:

I hate articles like this. What study? Who did it? Where did the sample come from? What were the actual results? Why do I have to go to the library and find the July issue of Obesity journal just to find basic answers! Argh!

Men doubled their odds of being obese after 1 year, but it just says woman ‘increased the likelihood’…well by how much?? 50% more likely? 1% more likely?

8. merely_a_muse says:

This isn’t terribly surprising. For me, cooking for 2 is harder than cooking for 1 (as in, I’m perfectly fine with scrambled eggs for dinner & if I’m not feeling like cooking then I can wait until whenever but if it’s my turn to make dinner I feel bad about subjecting my boyfriend to my bad habits) so I’m more likely to say just fuck it & eat out. I also went from an eating disorder to pretty much living with a boy who’s diet consisted mainly of junk food & Jack in the Box, so my added “relationship pounds” are a surprise to no one.

• henrygates3 says:

Funny, I find it harder to cook for one. Plus when I’m cooking for two, I’m trying to make a meal that someone else will enjoy, is healthy, and filling. It’s way more fun to cook for someone else.

• merely_a_muse says:

The making something decent for the other person is the part that always gets me. I get stress & anxious during the week, so I can never enjoy myself cooking. I don’t mind it when I feel like I have time & most weekends I’ll whip up something decent in the kitchen, but during the week I just get so fried.

9. PanCake BuTT says:

I’ve noticed a trend too…it seems like people who are single seem to take care of themselves better, are usually not obese. But couples are more prone to letting go of themselves. Not a given or definite but just a odd trend.

10. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

This is so true!! You’re happy plus you probably eat out more.

11. fischju says:

Consumer Reports links like this post never have a title in the RSS, it’s just blank

12. Outrun1986 says:

Women often let themselves go after pregnancy, which might explain why those who have been married often look worse after marriage. Elastic waist jeans anyone? Now I know not every woman does this but a lot do.

Your going out to eat more when your with another person too, because there is some sort of ridiculous societal obligation that if you have a girlfriend/boyfriend you must take them out to eat at least once a week. What is going out, well around here, going out is going out to eat! Especially since well, there isn’t much else to do here except dinner and a movie, and I haven’t met too many men who actually liked shopping which is like the only other thing there is here to do. There is more to do in the summer, but again most involves eating. I hope that if I ever find a partner that they hate eating out as much as I do (or perhaps I shouldn’t date someone who likes to eat out).

• Kajj says:

Hey, maybe twenty-three year-olds who can’t even manage basic grammar and admit to never having been in a serious relationship don’t have the best insight into what recovering from pregnancy is like. I would imagine that new mothers are more concerned with caring for their children and their own health than making sure that “Outrun1986″ finds them acceptably attractive. Also, this study appears to have been about childless couples, so what the hell are you even talking about this for?

• daveinva says:

News flash: pregnant women (and lazy men) get fat.

• Laura Northrup says:

Funny how having ANOTHER PERSON INSIDE OF YOU has that effect.

• kalaratri says:

Funny how being pregnant seems to make the male partner feel like it’s okay to get fat too. I was supposed to gain 30lbs, there’s no reason why my darling husband had to as well.

• mythago says:

News flash: pregnancy changes your body in ways that have nothing to do with fat. Please don’t breed; no woman needs to be stuck with a guy who doesn’t understand why gestating and shoving another human through her pelvis affects her ability to look like a 16-year-old swimsuit model.

13. daveinva says:

Totally see this, as it’s happened to me. After 3 1/2 years in a relationship, I weigh the most I’ve ever weighed.

It’s got nothing to do with eating right, and little to do with exercise, insofar as I never got much before I met my GF.

It’s simply that I don’t have to *date* any longer. A romantic evening once in a while, a fun outing once in a while, but that frenetic, early relationship / multiple dates period is long, lonnng gone. No more “Let’s take a hike!” or “Hey, want to go ice skating??” stuff.

It’s hard to admit, but my GF agrees on this point too: once you have what you want, you stop trying so hard. Which, painfully ironically, makes it harder to keep what you have, because you risk eventually looking over at the person you’re with and wonder what you ever saw in that fat out-of-shape bastard/wench to begin with.

Of course, if I’m ever unlucky enough to be single again, I’m sure I’ll be right back at Gold’s, trying to get into fighting weight again.

We’ve all been there.

14. JulesNoctambule says:

Yeah, my husband sure has put on weight since we got married. At only six feet tall, he’s managed to go from 140 pounds to a whopping 145.5 in just under six years! Oh, the humanity.

15. mythago says:

Sigh. I really expect The Consumerist and CR to do better than “hey, let’s skim the abstract” kind of science writing one normally sees in the newspaper.

16. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Being with another person has nothing to do with it – being lazy, eating too much, and doing nothing about it are the reasons why you get fat. You think just because you live with someone they’ll love you for exactly how you are, even when your weight balloons to 200 pounds? Anyone who truly believes that doesn’t realize that anyone who is “perfectly fine” with their girlfriend/boyfriend or spouse being so overweight or otherwise not taking care of themselves clearly does not love that person enough.

When you are with someone long term, and you really love them, it’s idiotic to say, “I love you whether you’re fat or skinny” – you want them to be healthy, and you want them to be fit. Saying that you accept them regardless of appearance is doing them a disservice. If you really actually loved that person, you would want both of you to be healthy and fit.

Btw, Outrun1986…your comment has to be the most asinine comment in a long time. Pregnant women let themselves go? You don’t think that might have to do with the person growing inside of them? No? Someone needs to learn about where babies come from.