You’re Worth It: 12 Holiday Gifts to Yourself “Here are 12 health-enhancing gifts you can feel good about buying yourself this holiday season or anytime. All are based on our independent testing and research, so you know they’re worth buying.” [Consumer Reports Health]

Comments

1. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I wish I could sign up for yoga classes. I have a gym in my apartment building, so I’m already paying for that as part of my rent. As it is, $16 (the cheapest I’ve found) is pretty steap for one class. I think if I was going to go twice a week, it would start getting very expensive very quickly.

I’d do yoga at home, but I am notoriously uncoordinated, and there isn’t a lot of space. I could move furniture, but then there’s the problem of being on carpet.

Oh well. Back on the treadmill then.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I do Pilates at home, but I have very little space too (tiny house). The hardest part of the workout is moving the damn coffee table, and I still whack it with my arms whenever I do the roll-ups and Teaser Prep.

Sucks but what can we do? The Y here is very expensive.

• falafelwaffle says:

Can you go to the gym in your apartment complex and do them? Maybe on a towel or a mat? There should at least be room there.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I can, but I would have to know the moves. I mean, I guess I could bring my laptop down there, but I have to find a place that no one will ever go to because then my laptop won’t get stepped on. Sigh.

• floraposte says:

Once you learn the moves, you can pretty much rely on audio cueing–maybe take a few yoga classes and study a few DVDs with some slow, on-your-own time experimenting at home, and then just use audio tracks on an mp3 player?

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Do you have a netflix account? They have yoga DVDs

• Bohemian says:

FitTV has some great yoga shows if you get cable or dish TV. I don’t have a huge amount of space but it seems to work and carpet really isn’t a problem. The bonus is you don’t have other people smacking you in the head because they don’t get the idea personal space.

2. FigNinja says:

I agree about the home gym thing. It’s so much easier to squeeze in exercise. They mentioned treadmills. I’ve never tried the brands they mentioned but you can get great deals on commercial treadmills if you buy used. I have a refurbed StarTrac from a corporate gym. It was many thousands new but I got it for under $1k.

3. floraposte says:

I’m not sure that all those gifts are genuinely “health-enhancing.” Mascara? And really, CU–backing the reduced-fat snack stuff? But in the spirit of the thing I’d add good fitness DVDs (or your medium of choice). If you can carve out the room at home, that can be a good way to achieve regular workouts for smallish bucks.

4. Ratty says:

I’m getting myself a divorce for Christmas. And a one-way ticket out of the country. Well, a little early.

Feels better than any of the items on the list, but YMMV of course. :)

5. Bohemian says:

Yoga balls are great as an option if your having to put too many hours in sitting, at least to take a break from your desk chair. The ped egg is way over priced. You can get a flat paddle shaped foot file at Sally Beauty for $3. It has the same cheese grater surface and sanding surface as a ped egg.

6. H3ion says:

I wanted nine ladies leaping but Tiger Woods beat me to it. Treadmill is a nice idea, especially when it’s cold and rainy outside.

7. barb95 says:

I really want a treadmill but I don’t know where to start. What are good ones that are less than $600? And where should I buy one? I hear Sears is no good.

8. Hands says:

Two thoughts…

All of us regular gym goers know the gym crowds up in January with people I call resolutionaries and by the end of the month nearly all of them are gone.

Next: get a massage. I’m prejudiced because I’ve been a massage therapist for 20 years but if you’ve never had a massage before it’ll take you about 4 minutes before you smack your head and think “I can’t believe I’ve never done this.” Forget about advertisements, bargains and coupons. Find a friend/family member/co-worker who gets massage and get a referral. If money truly is an issue see if there’s a local massage school. You can get a massage from a student for a very low price.

9. Zyada says:

It kind of got lost in the article, but check out your local community center. They often have cheap exercise classes.