Kmart Workers Find $10k Tin Can

Did you leave your tin can filled with over $10,000 on the customer service counter of a Des Moines Kmart? Because if you did, call them, they found it.

Update: Several of our readers have pointed out that the owner has reclaimed the can and the money. She says her husband left it there by accident, possibly while having a reaction to some medication, and that she’s going to deposit the cash in a bank.

[Here's the rest of the original post:]

Employees ignored the tin can for four days, which makes me think I must have looked like a tin can the last time I went to a discount store’s customer service counter. An employee finally opened it last week:

The can contained $10,380 in assorted bills. Employees called police after opening the can Friday.

Police said the money was counted by a store manager, placed in envelopes according to denomination and then turned over to officers. No note was found.

“Iowa Kmart workers open tin can, find $10,000″ [Associated Press via SFGate] (Thanks to Sue Ann!)

Comments

1. PanCake BuTT says:

Oh wow, what went wrong here ?!? Did the person who lost their tin can, not notice $10,830 missing ? Honest employees ! Honest officers ?!?!, who knows …

♥ the retro Kmart photo!

2. TehQ says:

It was probably some old lady who left it there. Her life savings saved in a tin can because she doesn’t trust banks. My grandparents did that but not that much money though.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Yeah I love those people – their biggest mistake isn’t that they don’t trust banks… but that they trust their own faculties more. Oops!

• Hogan1 says:

Originally being from Iowa, this doesn’t surprise me. There’s probably more money buried and hiding in cans and boxes then in banks there.

3. wickedpixel says:

Quick Poll
    The tin can is:

A. a made-it-myself-at-home bank account
    B. a made-it-myslef-at-home RFID wallet
    C. a tip jar from a nearby Starbucks

4. dwb says:

“Employees ignored the tin can for four days…”

This says a lot about the people hired by Kmart.

• tbax929 says:

I think the fact that they called police once it was discovered says more about them than the fact that they ignored the tin can for a few days.

• fantomesq says:

Its funny that they KNOW that they’ve ignored the can for four days… its not like the can had a date that it was left printed on it. I’d think that they’d not have any idea how long its been there. :)

5. Segador says:

Oh, wow, I did leave my $10k there. I can even describe the can.

6. MDSasquatch says:

I find it more surprising that the story used the word employees with an “s”.

The one by by house looks like a ghost town & employee sightings are rare.

7. HogwartsProfessor says:

Oh wow. I bet the person who lost it is FRANTIC.

8. henrygates3 says:

I once left almost $5k in a leather deposit envelope at a Home Depot once. It was only for a few minutes before I went back for it, but by then one of our fine citizens found it. I hope it was worth their ticket to hell.

• PanCake BuTT says:

Why a ticket to hell ? Did you do some sort of Brujeria afterwards ? ’cause if I had found your 5k, that would been a ticket to Tahiti, Malta, or Polynesia. What do you think this is, AC/DC ?

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

I believe he is inferring that the fine citizen that found it walked off with it.

• PanCake BuTT says:

Ohh! Pardon me sir, I stand corrected. Makes me feel a whole lot better about the time I lost two money orders totaling $700 on a SF Muni bus. I cried for days and fought bouts of depression for months..hehehe :()

• AK47 - Now with longer screen name! says:

In all seriousness, can I ask why you had $5K inside Home Depot?

These stories about people accidentally leaving large sums of cash in public places always surprise me. I’m OCD about making sure I have my purse (with *significantly* less than $5-10k in it) with me, so it shocks me that someone is a) carrying around thousands in cash in the first place, and b) able to lose track of it.

Anyone who can enlighten me, please jump in!!

9. Swamp says:
  10. ZJM says:

Damn, I left my coffee can with $25,000 in it somewhere, couldn’t find it after I went to K-Mart in Des Moines.. Was hoping this was it but must be a different one.

11. atomoverride says:

10k in a tin can? if I was an employee I wouldnt have said a word.

• CheritaChen says:

Attitudes like the one you express here are the reason our nation is in its current economic situation.

• sonneillon says:

Yeah but it was probably one of those things where it was a couple people who noticed at once and it wasn’t like if it were just you and me and just split the money inside.

• Scoobatz says:

Not me. I would have gladly returned the can containing about $8,000. (wink, wink)

12. 'old" devildog says:

The owner was found. Here is the report from KCCI in Des Moines. Just an old and confused man.

13. AnubisAscended says:

The owner came forward to claim the can:

14. CTAUGUST says:

“Employees ignored the tin can for four days”. Um, a tin can on the customer service counter is normal? Not noticed when the counter and store is cleaned?

Oh ya, we’re talking Kmart. Makes perfect sense. Their employees are usually ones terminated from Target or Wal-Mart.

15. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

LOL someone lost their drug stash money.

16. G00MAN says:

Enter text…Over $10K and it sat there for four days! That’s safer than my bank.

17. LatherRinseRepeat says:

Well, at least I know that’s not my $10K. I keep my money in a cookie jar.

18. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

See what this crap economy is doing to people….they are being forced to shop at K-mart….

19. boomerang86 says:

One time @ work a customer dropped a Burger King bag on the floor, then left. The bag contained exactly $2000 in mostly $20 notes. We immediately called the police; the cops AND the bag’s owner showed up at exactly the same time! That customer had to endure a gauntlet of questions from the officer for about a half hour and phone calls were make to check out his story; the money was eventually returned to him.

Really, who disguises their wallet as a piece of rubbish? Not too bright IMHO.

• shepd says:

Hmmm, I’ve done that before (In fact, in a generic, greasy, used “take out food” bag with about $30,000 in it). That’s the entire point, if you buy something expensive and “safe” to hide money in, people who will steal it know it’s worth stealing. Nobody steals old take out food on the backseat of a car.

Even left it there while I stopped at Applebee’s for supper. Figured carrying it about with me would look suspicious.

If you’re wondering why, I was on my way to a new distributor to buy a difficult to source product, and as my store was relatively new at the time, ALL wholesalers would only accept cash or debit, no cheques or credit cards (Actually, none of them would accept credit cards period, for good reason). And you try putting a $30,000 sale on a debit card! I suppose they’d accept a wire transfer, but I’m not giving a new wholesaler $30,000 *before* I see the goods!

Of course, with all the crazy money laundering laws, I had to carry all the bank receipts with me to prove the source of the money in case some absolute arsehole tried to ruin my day by calling the cops on my about my money. Because, you know, there’s no way someone could carry $10,000+ in cash on them legitimately.