Texas Attorney General Shuts Down Dishonest Price Comparison Sites

ConsumerAffairs.com says that the Texas Attorney General has gone after a couple of online price comparison companies. The sites all claim to offer unbiased comparisons of retailers, but in reality the companies have been accepting payments in exchange for preferential listings. The companies, Intercept LLC and Everyprice.com Inc, both operated multiple sites with names like Flyingprices, Diduprice, and Lowpricedigital. All the sites are currently offline.

“Price-Comparison Web Sites Accused of Fraud” [ConsumerAffairs]

Comments

1. Fineous K. Douchenstein says:

Isn’t this the kind of thing people are worried Microsoft might do with searches?

• Trick says:

Are there any search engines that don’t offer paid search options?

• Tim says:

That’s standard practice for search engines. The difference is that search engines don’t offer any promises about the results that aren’t true. For example, Google never says that its results are the most popular sites. These price comparison sites were actually saying that they were comparing prices and showing you the lowest ones.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

If you mean with Microsoft’s discussions to feature Dow Jones content exclusively on Bing – sort of. What the discussions mean is that they want to lock out Google entirely, not necessarily give Dow Jones’ publications higher listings in the search engine results.

2. TheDoctor says:

As a proud citizen of the state of Texas, I say good on ya Greg Abbott. More like this please.

3. Naame says:

Good for them.

4. dwb says:

Which businesses were paying off these price comparison companies?

5. Wireless Joe says:

TOTALLY unrelated, but is anyone else experiencing consumerist.com serving up the HTML/Crypted.gen trojan? I got it on the Dominos Pizza Noid story (and what’s with no comments there?) and now on the Vigilante Starbucks Barista story.

• Dont lump me into your 99%! says:

Nothing is popping up on my virus scanner, but I did notice the dominos story had no comments, which I thought was odd.

I am using firefox btw.

• H3ion says:

Using Firefox and Norton. No problems. Over 50 comments on the Domino’s story but still no good pizza.

6. Nighthawke says:

Now that’s some good a$$-busting by the Texas AG. That is how you handle jerks that want to cheat folks.

7. CTAUGUST says:

There there a reason an abandoned Kmart store is shown? Are they involved in the story?

8. CTAUGUST says:

I have to say that I too wonder what companies were paying these sites to rate them well?

I recall some sort of issue with Bizrate.com and collecting fees years ago. I noticed on my own they never posted a negative review at the time and wondered why. $$$$

9. StanTheManDean says:

Accepting payments in exchange for preferential listings?

Male Cow Patties.

Who owned these scummy referal companies?

My guess is the owners of the scummy referal companies will turn out to be owners of the CE companies heavily promoted on the scummy referal companies….. They didn’t have to pay, they were always going to be the top listing.

Who squealed? The CE companies that offered $ to be a top listed company.

I would love to know the names of the informants.