Mother Thinks Hannah Montana Doll Is Swearing

We’re going to go ahead and suggest that if you are the type to hear swear words when confronted with awful audio recordings, you not buy dolls that sing. One Florida mom is such a person, and is convinced that her daughter’s Hannah Montana doll has taught her kid to say the “F” word.

From NBC Miami:

Westberry claims the doll, which sings the Christmas classic, has a potty mouth and it’s rubbed off on her daughter.

“I think it’s supposed to actually be some “rockin’ fun,” said Westberry. “But it don’t come out saying “rockin’ fun.”

Actually, the lyrics are supposed to be: “…later we’ll have some pumpkin pie and we’ll do some caroling.” At issue is the word “pumpkin,” which Westberry, who’s played the doll over and over, said sounds like “f—ing.”

“There’s no question, none at all, it’s plainly clear,” Westberry said. “How could they put this on the shelf?”

We listened to the doll on NBC’s website and offer the opinion that nothing about the recording can be accurately described as “plainly clear.”

What do you think?

“Dirty-Mouthed” Miley Doll Teaches Toddler Foul Word [NBC Miami]

Comments

1. Miraluka says:

Irrational parent. Of the thousands of places and ways this toddler could have learned the word, she blames it on the doll. With inconclusive evidence. The cheap speakers in these toys always make words come out muddled anyways. Combine that with the average toddler’s penchant for messing up words they try to imitate, and you’ll come out with a toddler who mistakenly learns how to drop an f-bomb. I doubt the kid knows what he’s saying, anyways.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master. But in my moment of panic, I said the first name that came to my mind.

It was Hannah Montanna!

• TheHat says:

I agree. My son when he started talking could not pronounce Truck and instead used a F in place of the T. We knew what he meant but other people would give us funny looks.

• ninja-meh says:

Did you guys hear the recording? It really does sound like the f-bomb, made me laugh although it was kind of garbled, I can def see where someone would hear the word, esp if you have that mindset hahaha

• theblackdog says:

Agreed. One of my friends told me of how her friend had a daughter who when she was two, instead of saying Kentucky Fried Chicken (pre KFC days) it came out as “fucky fried chicken”

They didn’t get all over her for it, they knew what she meant, and they certainly didn’t blame their TV or some friend who said Kentucky Fried Chicken around her.

• Shadowman615 says:

Heh, I’m told my sister said the same thing as a small child. Way back when they still called it “Kentucky Fried Chicken.”

• MsAnthropy says:

Heh. Family legend tells me that my dear departed Nana, upon first setting eyes on her firstborn grandchild (that would be me) all wrapped up in shiny “tinfoil” stuff in the ICU, blurted “she looks just like a Kenfucky Tried Chicken!”. This was in the seventies, in the UK, and… well, obviously my grandmother wasn’t a toddler, but all these “Kenfucky” stories make me think of it!

• Ebriosa says:

Now that it’s shortened to “KFC” we pronounce it “ka-fucks”. KFC cannot win.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

We used to have a priest named “Father Volker.” Neighbor toddler saw him in the church vestibule, and shrieked delightedly, “FATHER FUCKER!” My neighbor’s mother-in-law, who was visiting, was ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED she (the mother) taught the child to do that on purpose and brought up for YEARS how her daughter-in-law was teaching the children obscenities specifically so they could be disrespectful in church!

This same kid was one time shrieking angrily for “juice” at a kosher deli in my very Jewish hometown, except it came out as a very enraged, “JEWS! JEWS!” I still laugh every time I think about it. His father, instead of giving him the juice, is holding up the juice box going, “He’s saying ‘juice!’” And his mother is going, “GIVE HIM THE DAMN JUICE!”

• slappysquirrel says:

My best friend’s kid’s version was seeing a rainbow flag at a gay rights march and going “Fag! Fag!”

• Dondegroovily says:

When my daughter was 18 months, we were at a wedding, and she grabbed a fork from the table and said “fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck” (she meant fork.) Meanwhile, the minister said “I’m proud to be a part of the sex – sacred….” I guess my daughter got that minister thinking dirty thoughts.

2. temporaryscars says:

I think that lady needs to get a job.

• Emperor Norton I says:

What that mom needs a really good dentist & someone to teach her the correct spelling of Kelsey.

3. bonzombiekitty says:

She’s right. It is plainly clear. It’s plainly clear it’s saying “pumpkin pie”. This woman is crazy.

4. H3ion says:

Unless the mother is a mute, I would expect that at some time during her child’s first four years she let loose a four letter word in the child’s hearing, and the word wasn’t L-O-V-E. Kids are mimics and they’ll repeat anything they hear. However, the Miley Cyrus doll probably does have a potty mouth.

5. Flourless Algernon says:

For some reason this makes me think of Ralphie’s swearing scene in A Christmas Story. Blaming the real source of the word is always out of the question.

6. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

It’s called audio pareidolia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia#Audio , and the reason those jackass “ghost hunters” get TV shows where they discover EVP. If you tell someone what they will hear, they will hear it. Brian Dunning over at Skeptoid did a episode on it. During the episode, he plays random frequencies, which you don’t understand until he tells you what people think it says. After that, you can’t help to NOT hear it. http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4105

Now that I have that off my chest, can someone explain Hannah Montana to me and what the “wig” does?

• chiieddy says:

People are dumb.

Hannah Montana is Mylie Cyrus’s pop-star alter-ego. On the TV show, Mylie wants to live a ‘normal’ life so she goes on stage with a blonde wig so people don’t know who she really is and she can be the unpopular nerd in school. But it’s okay, because she’s really a huge pop star. See kids?

• The Porkchop Express says:

I’m sorry I know this, but….in the show she plays herself and puts on a wig to become Hannah. kind of the clark kent thing. her best friend even does it so that people won’t put 2 and 2 together. funny part is Billy Ray plays her father, Robbie Ray, and he puts on a soul patch to fool people.

Ok i think i’ve said way too much.

• zentex says:

busted!

I hope you have a kid in the house and that’s why you know this…or at least use it as your alibi

• Julia789 says:

A man after my own heart. Love me a skeptic, I do…

• cash_da_pibble says:

You know, Little Rock and Tallahassee had the exact same discussion in Zombieland.

• Kuchen says:

I’m glad someone said exactly what I was thinking.

• MaytagRepairman says:

Reminds me of when the FBI followed The Kingsmen over the lyrics to Louie Louie.

• sniplover says:

GESD_WH, pareidolia aka sine-wave speech is the weirdest/coolest thing I’ve heard of in DAYS. Thanks for making my work day suck less :)

• godlyfrog says:

It’s even better than this. The issue at hand is quite similar to this picture:

The fact is that the word itself is meaningless to her child until there’s some context to it. If the child is saying the word in the proper context, then she did not learn it from the doll. If she is using the word in the context that the word is being used by the doll (i.e. “f–kin’ pie”), then she did learn it from the doll.

Sounds like someone is looking for some free Christmas presents this year, and sadly, she will probably get them.

7. Alter_ego says:

By acting all shocked and horrified about this word to her daughter, she’s only going to make the kid realize she’s doing something naughty, and, if she’s anything like I was as a kid, it will only make her want to say it more. I feel like calmly saying to her daughter that word is inappropraite, but showing that saying it won’t get a reaction out of you, is a much more effective way of dealing with the situation.
    That being said, when I did learn to curse, it certainly wasn’t from a talking doll, it was from my parents.

• kaceetheconsumer says:

Yup. In the various playgroups I’ve attended, the little kids (I’m talking ages 2-5) who swear the most are the ones who have parents who freak out about it.

I swear in front of my kid. She’s tried swearing in front of my husband and I and failed to get a reaction, so after a few tries, she gives up. We’ve told her that she can swear as much as she wants in the house, but not outside the house and not when we have company. Pretty much the same rules for farting and loud belching.

8. wax says:

Is this the same woman who claimed that one of her child’s toys was saying “Islam is the light?”

9. hills says:

If this mom is so paranoid about a 4 letter word, perhaps she could make better choices than buying a doll based on a character played by a teenage stripper wanna be…. just sayin…. I’d be more worried about my kids thinking Miley Cyrus is someone to look up to, than dropping the f-bomb.

• sasakan says:

Thank you! I’m glad someone said what I was thinking!

The girl is THREE years old. Hannah Montana is something like 16 years old. Sorry, but I just think it’s wrong and confusing to try and encourage a toddler to emulate a 16-year-old spoiled pop starlet. Kids are just losing their innocence younger and younger.

10. BigPapaCherry says:

I can understand how she hears the f-word. In the recording, she hits the P of pumpkin pretty hard, much like the way most of us hit the F in the f-word hard when we use it angrily.

Also, many of us are gonna be like “Of course it’s pumpkin!” because we went in expecting to hear pumpkin. Just like this mother hears the f-word, we all hear what we want or expect to hear.

• dolemite says:

Except….you probably have something mentally wrong with you, if you “go into” it expecting to hear the F-bomb, like the mom.

11. Ron Mexico says:

Better take away the dump truck too.

And what kind of toy if a Hannah Montana doll for a three year old? This lady ever hear of Fisher Price? :P

• ospreyguy says:

Exactly. Why does she have a doll from a pop singer anyway…

• lucky929 says:

that’s a really good point. When I was three, I was angling for a Count doll from Sesame Street. I didn’t know what a pop star was, nor did I care.

12. larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

I can’t tell what the doll is saying, but I sure could use some fuckin’ pie.

13. JohnDeere says:

sounded like f’n fun to me the first time, but now that i know its pumpkin pie i here that too. to the mom who obviously didnt know the words to the song, i can see why she would be upset.

14. Mecharine says:

Who knows? Remember that story about the little girl who bought Animal Crossing DS and found some very “interesting” named characters?

15. TalKeaton: Every Puzzle Has an Answer! says:

I could understand hearing it that way… It IS pretty muddled, and Ms. Cyrus’ accent isn’t helping. Still. This is taking it to a bit extreme.

16. lucky929 says:

oh, paranoid moms. They will find a reason to get mad at SOMETHING, dammit!

17. Smashville says:

Reminds me of the MADD parents on AOL protesting the Brian Setzer Orchestra who thought they were saying, “Drunk drive and then you wail!”

And no, I’m not making that up.

18. Keep talking...I'm listening says:

I can see the $$$$ in the mother’s eyes…

• ben says:

Can you really? I think the mother’s an idiot, but there’s no indication that she’s asking for anything. She took the batteries out of the doll. Seems like a good solution to me.

19. 333 (only half evil) says:

And if you play it backwards it says “Miley is the walrus.”

20. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

I don’t know about you, but I heard the doll tell me I should kill the neighbors.

21. humphrmi says:

I know I’m going to get skewered as a poor parent for this, but…

It just doesn’t matter. Really. There are more important things to worry about in this world than a few dirty words, real or imaginary. Seriously. Instead of sitting, listening over and over again to the words spoken by a doll, try this:

- Take your kids to the park more.
    - Talk to your kids. Maybe even about inappropriate language.
    - Help your kids with their homework.
    - You probably get the idea now.

I accidentally swore once in front of my son, and he started repeating it. It took all of about a 30 second conversation to explain what inappropriate language is, and not to repeat it. He understood immediately (at about 7 years old) and never did again, except one time when he was really, really angry about something.

I guess I’m just too busy to be bothered by the small stuff.

• tsukiotoshi says:

Agreed. My father regularly used swears that could make a sailor blush, but my mom explained to us that it was inappropriate language and we shouldn’t imitate him. I don’t swear unless I’m really pissed off and my brother didn’t start with it until he became a firefighter.

There really are more important things. Besides, I really don’t think it sounded like that doll was dropping the F Bomb.

• friendlynerd says:

I had “mom’s car words” as a kid. I knew what they were, and that I was never to say them.

• JulesNoctambule says:

My nieces know that if Mommy or Auntie are driving, it’s ‘kids-don’t-say-that’ time. They chuckle whenever either of us ends a stream of garbled semi-profanity with ‘and don’t say that, kids; it’s not polite’ — especially if we start up again before we finish that bit.

Despite it all, we have yet to hear either of them (9 and 5) say anything more objectionable than ‘jerk’. I think they file it all under Grownups Do Weird Things, along with random movie quotes and the times we get down to New Wave music in the grocery store.

• lim says:

We had the “You can sing that word during the song, but don’t go using it otherwise.” Of course, this was the 80s and there wasn’t quite as much swearing, but I grew up knowing the words and knowing not using them.

22. Yoko Broke Up The Beatles says:

Oh, Southerners, I applaud you.

23. Mknzybsofh says:

The lady is angling for a large payday. Plain and simple.

24. Liam Kinkaid says:

This lady is pumpkin crazy.

25. Underscore_Lysdexia says:

Is that the same lady who thought the baby in Imagine Babies for the DS said “Islam is the light”

Cause if so she needs to be treated

You know what? She needs to be treated to regardless if it’s the same person

26. Hank Scorpio says:

Won’t somebody please think of the children!?

27. Colonel Jack O'neill says:

It sounded like a bunch of mumbling, and hard to hear anything.

Where’s the blow up doll of Britney Spears that sings, If You Seek Amy.

28. Shadowman615 says:

There’s no question, none at all, It’s plainly clear. This woman is out of her mind.

Toddlers mishear and misinterpret things all the time. Should they remove every possible speech in a toy that might get misinterpreted as a curse word?

29. floraposte says:

I think it says “Vulcan blood.”

30. tigress says:

I thought a swing I had made weird sounds, almost demonic. I thought I was just being weird.

31. morganlh85 says:

What a dumbass. Not only does she think it’s swearing, she can’t even look up the lyrics to one of the most popular Christmas songs EVER to see what it’s actually saying? Sheesh.

32. floraposte says:

Hmm, apparently she’s not the first–this line has an entry at Kiss This Guy:

33. Ratuig says:

Sounded like Fumpkin to me…BTW did she use her teeth to remove the batteries???

34. Crabby Cakes says:

If Miley taught Kelzea, who taught Miley??
    I think the only things that’s clear here is that that youngster has heard the word “fucking” before, thought it sounded similar and figured that’s what Miley was saying.

35. Moosenogger says:

Augh, give me a break! It’s one of those classic singing dolls that you can barely understand. She’s singing “pumpkin pie,” but the audio is so garbled that it’s not 100% clear. The doll is not saying, “fucking.” I’m guessing either the little girl heard that word somewhere else (MOM) or is just making up a word that sounds like it matches the lyrics in the song.

Kids are notorious for making up words, mispronouncing a word, or repeating whatever they hear (curse words included). This woman just wants time on the news and possibly some money from the toy company.

What a crock.

36. VOIDMunashii says:

Hahahahahahahaha!

I can hear the “m” sound in pumpkin plainly clear (as clear as you can hear anything from one of those types of dolls anyway); it don’t come out like no “f” word to me.

We used to have fun with this sort of stuff when I worked in a toy store. does anyone remember the Teletubbies Po plush that supposedly said “bite my butt!”?

37. Rachacha says:

My Daughter received the same doll for Christmas last year (or maybe 2 years ago…don’t remember) and it definately says “Pumpkin Pie”, however, in listening to the audio clip online, it sounded a bit different than my daughter’s, perhaps for one of the following reasons:

1) Batteries in this woman’s doll may be starting to die and the computer chip and amplifier are not working 100% as they were intended.
    2) The doll when we first got it was EXTREMELY loud, so I placed a couple pieces of tape over the speaker holes so that it would not be so annoying, and so it would would not damage my daughter’s hearing if she placed it against her ears. Either the large amount of air being moved by the speakers could be changing the sound a bit, or perhaps the speaker cone is damaged.

38. mike6545 says:

It’s definatly “Pumpkin” pie. It’s the way miley sings, i can’t describe it but it’s this kind of nasaly sound on some words. Possibly from her country backround.

39. varro says:

Mom named after the alcohol that led to her creation – check.
    Kid with kreatively misspelled first name – check.
    FARK “Florida” tag – check.

40. okcancel says:

Two words: Louie Louie. The FBI spent 31 months trying to prove that there were nasty words in it. Your brain tries to make sense of muddled sound–and it often finds what you expect or want to hear.

41. MrAP says:

So a 3 year old mispronounces a word kind of like every other three year old, and it was the doll that taught it to her? *blink blink*

42. ctyankee says:

Anyone else notice that the commercial before the “news” story is for bourbon?

43. perfectly_cromulent says:

what makes more sense is for the parent to get her head out of her butt and understand that children mix around letters all the time…anyone remember the “sparkling wiggles” girl from youtube??? the poor toddler is probably trying to say it right, just mixed it up.