Check Luggage Limits Online And Dodge Baggage Fees

How fat a bag can I bring? The ad-supported LuggageLimits compiles the carry-on and checked baggage rules for 90 airlines. Just enter your airline, ticket type, departure and arrival city and it will tell you if you’re likely to hit any fee turbulence with your luggage. [LuggageLimits via Lifehacker]

Comments

1. azntg says:

This should definitely come in handy the next time I fly domestic with luggage with a carrier other than Southwest.

2. 781elephant says:

true, but that does not factor in that the scales at airports typically add 2-3 kgs… check the indicator when there is nothing on and you should see a few low digits!!

• hotdogsunrise says:

I saw a television report on this a few years ago. IIRC, they took the same bag and weighed it at different airports. Maybe even weighed it on the same scale at the same airport. Regardless, the scales were not the same, even though the bag was the same. If you’re getting close to the limit, be care.

• Ben Popken says:

yep lots of airport scales are miscalibrated due to their heavy use

3. pdxazn says:

The baggage fees is the most stupid and selfish idea from the airlines.

The baggage fees are really bringing the economy down. People would not buy as much at the traveled cities to avoid extra baggage and paying the extra fees.

In addition, it causes much more flight delays because most people are using carry-ons. It takes times to stow and remove the carry-ons from the overhead cabinets. It also a problem for the elderly to travel and stow the carry-ons.

4. pecan 3.14159265 says:

This is a really handy tool. I’m going to have to send this along to all of my relatives who are traveling for the holidays. $15 for a bag?! Each way? That’s such a ripoff.

5. Omir The Storyteller says:

I just got back from taking Amtrak for my Thanksgiving journey. Pleasant ride, plenty of room to walk around even though the train was full, and more to the point they had no problem with our carry-ons. This included a banjo case that was obviously longer than their carry-on guidelines. Oh, and no stupid security theater TSA screening.

6. Fred E. says:

No way would I trust anything other than the official airline website.

7. oloranya says:

Oh, awesome. This’ll be handy when I go to Florida this winter.

8. mawt101 says:

this is of no use to most canadians. I had a flight on united last year that said Canada is considered a domestic flight for their luggage charges but as we are an international, non US, flight for everything else such as online fee payment it dosenot make sense. Good for my daughter tho when she visits home.

9. DanFromDetroit says:

As a frequent flier I have such a hatred for these fees. My company pays them so at least it doesn’t cost me but lately it’s as if overhead bin space has been put on the gold standard. The crush of Mr. & Mrs. Three bag carry-on in the terminal when group 3 has been called to board feels like a line at Walmart on Black Friday. I’ve have more missed and very short connections because these idiots can’t board in a timely manner while stuffing an absurd amount of luggage into bins nowhere near where their sitting. Then all the fun happens again when we disembark. Ugh… /end rant