5 Things To Do With Leftover Turkey

The husband and wife personal finance blogging team Not Made Of Money tell you where to go and shove that leftover turkey of yours.

Among the five suggestions for budget-friendly turkey recycling is “Thanksgiving salad,” which basically involves tossing everything you’ve got into a bowl and adding all-important mayo to help with consistency and counteract the fridge-induced dryness:

Thanksgiving Salad – Lunchtime after Thanksgiving can take on a whole new personality if you make Thanksgiving salad. Mix chunks of turkey with chopped pieces of celery, onions, bell peppers and pecans. Add a heaping spoon of mayonnaise to the mixture to help it stick together. Salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate until lunchtime. Spread over your favorite sandwich bread and enjoy.

What are your favorite ways to snarf leftover turkey before it spoils?

Five Budget Friendly Meals You Can Make with Leftover Turkey [Not Made Of Money]

Comments

1. humphrmi says:

Mmmm, turkey sammich. With mayo. ‘Nuf said.

2. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Thanksgiving salad just seems incredibly disgusting, actually. We make sandwiches with the turkey, some gravy, and the stuffing, or we just eat all of it separately on a plate like we did on Thanksgiving. What was good that day is perfectly awesome the week after!

3. nonsane says:

My mom is a turkey leftover ninja. Turkey Casserole. Turkey gravey sammiches(Put down peice of toasted bread, add turkey on top, pour gravy over, and nom) Turkey salad sammiches(turkey, mayo, relish, celery(if you like) or whatever else)

4. joshuadavis says:

Turkey sandwich with mayo and gravy. Or in my case Tofurkey sandwich with vegenaise and gravy.

5. PsiCop says:

I think I’ll pass on the “Thanksgiving salad.” Chopping up the turkey and making a casserole with it, along with the leftover mashed potatoes, stuffing, and corn … topped with a little gravy … is pretty good though. (They actually sell something like that at KFC.)

6. Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

I have a turkey-apple casserole that bakes leftover turkey with apple (in pineapple juice, of all things) with bread crumbs and a couple other casseroley things. Very tasty.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

I should say I have had passing neighbors knock on my door and demand to know what’s cooking when I cook this casserole with the windows open. :D

7. mythago says:

Turkey + leftover gravy + pastry + leftover veggies = turkey pot pie

• "I Like Potatoes" says:

Put some leftover mashed potatoes on the top instead of a pie crust and you’ve used up another leftover.

8. SJHartley says:

I read “somewhere” that leftover turkey with a Camel cigarette is the best thing ever. For digestion’s sake…smoke Camels;-)

9. madanthony says:

I’ll do turkey stir fry – leftover turkey, preferably the little pieces that get picked off near the bone, a couple bags of “asian style” frozen veggies, maybe a can of water chestnuts or those little baby corncobs if I feel adventurous, some soy sauce, some schzwan seasoning. Stir fry in sesame seed oil, serve over rice.

It’s way better than “thanksgiving salad”, which sounds like something out of a 50’s Miracle Whip ad.

10. Cortina says:

I just got done making turkey barley soup and turkey tortilla soup. Half goes to various friends and the other half gets frozen in individual servings. I like soup. A lot.

11. Shaftoe says:

Years ago I worked as a cook. In one restaurant our speciality was tex mex. there I learned how to make the best chile sauce ever.
    Flash forward about 10 years and a latina friend told me that in her family, instead of chicken stock they used turkey stock for their chile sauce. Now I do this every year.

After you have gotten all of the meat you can off the Turkey carcass, cut it in half so it fits into your standard stock pot.
    cover with water and add a few celeray sticks, an onion skin on, quartered a bay leaf and about 10 pepper corns.
    Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for a few hours.
    strain off the stock, set aside to cool. If you stick it into the fridge after it has cooled the fat will congeal on the top and you can easly remove it.. also I have frozen it for several months in gallon freezer bags and had it come out just fine.

Chile sauce
    Get a bag of smoked dried Ancho chiles (You can also use a mix of Ancho, pasillo chiles)
    Put on some latex gloves and pull off the stems and remove the seeds as best you can.
    Add the stemmed and seeded chiles to a large stock pot cover with Turkey stock
    Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer for several hours adding water to maintain the level
    Strain off the solids from the stock, put the solids into a food processor along with about a 1/2 cup of the liquid. Run the processor to break down the solids as much as possible.
    Strain this through a chinois or strainer to seperate the skin and seeds that inevitably will be in the solids from the pepper paste getting as much of the paste back into the liquid. Easier to do then to write about.
    put the liquid and paste mixture back onto the head and simer until it reduces to about the consistancy of a demi glaze. Add a bit of sugar to reduce the bitterness and salt to taste.
    This is excellent on Rellanos, Chimichungas and enchiladas or burritos. You can freeze it and it will keep for several months

12. savvy9999 says:

what leftovers? We hit that bird hard twice yesterday… :)

13. mmmSodium says:

This is what I do with leftovers: http://tiny.cc/yummers

I then foist the pies on unsuspecting college students, shut-ins and whoever eats everything in the staff fridge at work. They also freeze well but turkey in July is kinda weird.

14. Rachacha says:

Turkey Tetrazini and Turkey cubed, mixed w/ cheddar cheese and mincen onion, wrapped in a rolled out Pilbury Crescent roll. Form the roll onto a sachel and bake. Part of the way through add cream of chicken soup over the top nom nom nom.

Or just munch right out of the refrigerator

15. chiieddy says:

Turkey Tettrazini –

16. Darkneuro says:

The biggest ‘what to do with it’ I’ve had is on stuffing, and that’s easy. You take the stuffing, spread it out over a phyllo, pie crust, or docked puff pastry dough for a loverly dish mom taught me called knish, top with chopped turkey, roll then slice into 1″ pieces. Spread them out on a baking sheet, bake at 350 until the dough is browned and everything is hot. Serve with gravy and whatever sides you have.
    You can use leftover cranberry sauce as an add-in for fruit pies (or just spread it into puff pastry and fold over for turnovers), leftover veg gets thrown into the soup pot, and the carcass gets made into stock. Leftovers from turkey-day are EASY.

17. AcceleratedDragon says:

My mom makes great Phở soup with leftover turkey.

18. morganlh85 says:

Sounds like one of those KFC bowls of miscellany. lol

19. morganlh85 says:

PS I just reheat our Thanksgiving food and eat it the same way we did on Thanksgiving. I guess I’m boring that way lol

20. Free4all says:

Solved the whole turkey problem…………Roast – it’s what’s for dinner!