Yes, You Can Shop Today If You Must

If turkey, football, pumpkin pie, a huge parade, and all of those great family members aren’t enough to keep you occupied today — or if you’re looking for an excuse to get away from all of those great family members — more stores than ever are open today, and some are even offering “Black Thursday” sweeteners to get you in before you slip into a tryptophan coma.

USA Today reports that Walmart will be opening most of its stores at 6:00am or earlier today, 700 Old Navy branches will be open and offering discounts, and Radio Shack will have 700 outlets open.

“They’re trying to eke every penny out of every day of the selling season,” says Wendy Liebmann, president of the consulting firm WSL Strategic Retail. “The more days they’re open, the more chance they have of pulling money out of our pockets.”

And if you need a drink after braving the stores, USA Today reports that TGI Fridays will also be open today.

More stores will be open on Thanksgiving this year [USATODAY.com]

Comments

1. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I know I’m taking advantage of the extra travellers on the road to try and get a shat ton of reactions to RoofCoffeeCup.

• Saites says:

Although your reminder of RoofCoffeeCup brings me amusement, I spent many hours today stuck in ridiculous traffic, and I know when I head back to school in just a few days, I will be met with a similar situation.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

even more potential for fun: drive around with roofcoffeecup and when stopped in traffic drink coffee from an identical cup

2. Dropzone56_rockingout says:

“They’re trying to eke every penny out of every day of the selling season”

Yes they are, and next they will have employees scouring the parking lot for lose change.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Not if I get there first! I once walked a lot for nearly two hours because I had found $0.99, and I refused to believe that when someone dropped the dollar bill on the ground, and it broke into change, that the penny was picked up by someone else, and HAD to be there.

3. puck says:

Michael’s Arts & Crafts is going to be open for a few hours (six I think?) just in case you want to get your “High School Musical 3″ PlayStation TWO dance game doorbuster. Not a typo.

I really wish I was making that up.

• catnapped says:

I think those are (already) $9.99 at Kmart so how much are they selling it for?

• kaceetheconsumer says:

See, that’s why I hardly shop at Michaels for craft supplies anymore…most of their stores are now filled with dollar-junk bins and other non-crafty things and their actual supplies of things like yarn and cake decorating items have dwindled.

4. discounteggroll says:

it’s only 5:30 am and I’ve already bought 2 separate things online…god only knows what I may end up doing at B&M locations once the sun rises

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

There’s a $89 21.5 LCD on sale at Staples morrow, and I have my eye on it, even though I don’t REALLLY need it. I did convince myself that the Microsoft webcam was not a good enough at 29.99, because do I really need 7 webcams?

• discounteggroll says:

that AOC looks tempting…I got an AOC 32″ TV from them a few days ago for the bedroom. 720p was a bit of a downgrade from the 24″ 1080p samsung it was replacing, but I hope to use it more as an actual TV and less of a monitor for the macbook pro I decapitated

don’t forget the free duracell’s and go easy on the $ off coupons (or use a throw-away account to prevent blacklisting)

=)

5. chiieddy says:

You can not shop in any retail outlets in Massachusetts where they are closed by law. K-mart got in trouble when they tried to do their Thanksgiving Day sales a few years back. Now there’s a disclaimer on their ad circulars that you can get them on Wednesday before instead.

However, restaurants are allowed to be open, so you can still do any holiday shopping you desire at Starbucks or McDonalds.

• EdnaLegume says:

those happy meal toys make great stocking stuffers.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

So if Michael’s Arts & Crafts & Brunch Hall puts out a simple breakfast buffet spread, they can open so I can haz High School Musical 3 DDR?

• noahproblem1 says:

Pharmacies (CVS, Walgreen’s) are allowed to open in MA (I did an 8-2 stint at my CVS 2 Thanksgivings ago).. The crazy part, IMO, is that the pharmacy part of the store (which is why we could be open in the first place) closes at 2 but the rest of the store stays open all day (until midnight).

6. TakingItSeriously is a Technopile says:

Unlike previous years I am actually going out on Black friday. Normally you’ll find me holled up in my home refusing to venture to the convenience store down the street, but this year … with the budget being what it is … I’m actually leaving the house to get a couple very good deals on a couple mundane gifts.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving all :)

7. Meddygon says:

120 or so Polo Ralph Lauren stores will open at midnight tonight (just like they did last year).

8. Starfury says:

I won’t be out shopping today or tomorrow morning. I’ll be working. It’s not that bad…5am-2pm, doubletime plus 8 hrs of holiday pay each day. Next week’s check will have 4 extra days pay on it.

9. Charmander says:

I think it is sad that so many stores are open on Thanksgiving. What happened to relaxing and spending time with the family? Remember, all those stores have to be staffed by people who would otherwise be spending the day off. I guess it’s truly indicative of our consumer culture when a national holiday becomes just another day to shop.

• catnapped says:

So me Joe CEO is going to give up MY yacht so you can be lounging at home spending time with your family? Pfffft–get over yourself!

• tbax929 says:

To be fair, not everyone lives close enough to spend time with family on Thanksgiving. And, it may be hard to believe, but not everyone has family to enjoy on holidays. If you choose to spend your holidays with your family, that’s great. But you really shouldn’t foist your traditions on others.

• dragonfire81 says:

I work at a store that is only closed TWO days out of the year: Today and Christmas. I thankfully have a family to enjoy thanksgiving with, but I think even if I didn’t I wouldn’t be upset about the day off. I like my time off even if I have to spend most of it by myself. There’s a lot I’d rather do than be stuck behind the counter at work. Not that I’m not appreciative of the job, I very much am. I’m just not one to turn down time off should the opportunity arise.

10. valueofaloonie says:

Or, hey…if you’re not an American, today’s like any other Thursday! I think I might go to the mall after work today.

11. Chris J. Stone says:

I work at Kroger, and we are open all day (regular hours). Assuming that how my store does it would be how stores nationwide do it, Kroger is open every day with the same hours except for closing early Christmas Eve and closed Christmas Day.

I know the Publix across the street is closed today, so I assume we’ll be a bit busy with everyone needing their last minute supplies (like if they run out of beer too early or whatnot), but as long as Walmart is still open, it won’t be too bad. I can only imagine what would happen if they were closed…

12. itsjustjane says:

i work at the gap and my store is open today for 6 hours. in my area, it’s just the locations that aren’t in a mall. i don’t know if it’s nationwide.

13. LastError says:

While I am sad to see so many stores open today, I also remember back to the early 1980′s when my family was very poor and spent Thanksgiving day trying to find any store that was open where we could try to buy something to eat on Thanksgiving. Nothing was open, barely even gas stations. We ended up with a frozen turkey TV dinner from a dodgy corner store.

Jumping forward 25-odd years, I can choose from CVS or Walgreens, Kmart, Walmart, Kroger, BigLots, and more. It’s almost business as usual.

Now that I am an adult and in control of my own destiny, being poor is no longer a worry. I am grateful for that and extremely Thankful for all the workers who have to sacrifice to make this day happen. It may seem being open today is nothing but corporate greed or whatever but there really are shoppers out there who would have no options if it weren’t for your hard work.

Thank you.

14. henrygates3 says:

Personally I avoid all stores on Thanksgiving Day out of respect for the workers. Some stores do need to stay open – restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, but should not have to be fully staffed. There are plenty of people that would volunteer for holiday pay to keep a skeleton crew serving a small number of guests.

15. Shakinbakon says:

Do not support these retailers to stay open on Thanksgiving. Think about the poor employees who make minimum wage and must work instead of being home with their families.

16. MisterE says:

While I agree with you on the most basic level, I would like to add the usual crappy customer service, long lines, no parking spaces, whiny spoiled children, and the frustration that comes with the experience. No deal is worth putting up with that crap!

17. morganlh85 says:

We are having our Thanksgiving dinner on Friday night, so we went grocery shopping today at Walmart…it was actually quite busy, though much less busy than usual. Much easier to find what we needed, and many items were on sale.

18. Tonguetied says:

Sadly it’s all the consumers who decide to go shopping who make it profitable for stores to stay open on Thanksgiving that then leads to people having to work Thanksgiving Day which then makes it more likely that more stores will be open next year meaning more people will then have to work. Soon it will become a day like any other for retailers with no time for relaxation for the poor working stiffs. Come on, how hard is it to avoid the stores for one day?