1936 Thanksgiving Camel Ad: Smoke After Each Course!

This advertisement for Camel cigarettes appeared in the November 23, 1936 edition of LIFE magazine. It earnestly demands that you smoke a Camel after each course of Thanksgiving dinner — “for digestion’s sake.”

Some of our favorite quotes from the ad include, “smoke a camel right after the soup,” “By all means enjoy a second helping, but before you do — smoke another Camel,” and “My own personal experience is that smoking Camels with my meals and afterwards builds up a sense of digestive well-being.”

Happy Thanksgiving!fordigestionssake.jpg

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“Before Camel, my digestive system was marred with irregularity, bloody stool, and food that I didn’t remember eating. Now that I smoke Camels between courses and after the meal, my bowel movements are always firm, pleasent, and produce the smell of bakery fresh cinnamon rolls.”

2. c_c says:

Also, if you accidentally swallow apple seeds or another toxic substance, cigarette smoke will suffocate the bacteria in your stomach.

3. subtlefrog says:

I believe that would be called the intercourse cigarette.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Whoa-ho-ho, you forgot the hyphen in inter-course cigarette. Otherwise, someone might mistake that for something naughty.

Do be more careful next time.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

I thought one was supposed to use cigars for that…

4. DangerMouth says:

Damn, those were the days. Now the pariahs are all huddling in the garage or out on the patio.

5. Orv says:

Camels: They make bland 1930s food seem even more tasteless!

6. Smashville says:

And when you’re tired, try this: get a “lift” with a Camel!

Also helpful advice if ever stuck in the Sahara Desert.

7. ArcanaJ says:

Mmm! Pass the braised smoker’s lung, Ma!

8. PSUSkier says:

Very much reminds me of this Family Guy clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7XImuoNgJo

9. Chuck Norris' wig says:

Strike up a Lucky Strike!

10. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

while this is absolutely hysterical, i have to agree with the ad in some ways. my stomach has paralysis from nerve damage which involves a lot of nausea. since i already smoked and it seems to help the nausea, my doctor suggested i not quit, just cut back a little.

11. Slave For Turtles says:

Is there some reason why certain letters at the bottom are different shade?

“for digeSTIon’s sAKE — smoke caMels”

“STIAKEM”?

12. vanillacokehead says:

*chuckle* just make sure you have an extra large dinner table so the iron lung can fit. ;)

13. Stephmo says:

And then Don Draper came along…

14. umbriago says:

These ads are dangerously quaint. I like to listen to old American radio shows and the catchy cigarette jingles and slogans tend to stay in my head quite effectively.

How mild, how mild, how mild can a cigarette be…

Due to circumstances, Thanksgiving dinner was today, and man, do I want a cigarette all of a sudden.

15. katinka says:

I sometimes think all the smoking people used to do is why they drank gross things like Harvey Wallbangers (vodka, oj, and galliano) or ate somewhat icky things mushroom soup green beans or jello salads, because they couldn’t actually taste anything anymore.

16. LESSTHANKIND says:

Five cigarettes–CAMELS, no less–during one meal. Imagine being at that table?

“For when digestion proceeds smoothly, you experience a sense of ease and well-being.” “The best meal I ever ate would be a disappointment if I couldn’t enjoy Camels… there’s nothing like Camels to set you right!”

Awesome find.

17. Telekinesis123 says:

I guess they can’t honestly say “It improves the foods taste”.

18. ctyankee says:

Wow. Good thing they didn’t advertise to the children’s table. “Hey kids. Have a candy cigarette and rot your teeth after each course.”

19. H3ion says:

“Reach for a Lucky instead of a sweet.” That’s right. Lucky Strike was the original diet pill. Also, “I’d walk a mile for a Camel,” showed that cigarette companies were interested in promoting exercise.

C’mon. 1936?

20. porething says:

In a recent survey 9 out of 10 men who tried camels still preferred women.

21. HashMaster9000 says:

Sure., I’ll do it. just UNBAN MY CLOVE CIGARETTES and we’ll talk. Seriously gov’t, you ban the ONE THING keeping me sane in this economy…

22. creative differences says:

i used to be a walking advertisement for these death sticks. i would say:

“i’m not addicted to cigarettes, i’m addicted to CAMELS…”

of course, i live in canada, and it was hard to find reasonably-priced camels, but little mom & pop stores in chinatown sold cartons of the ‘not for export’ variety…

23. do-it-myself says:

“”STIAKEM”?

M-I-S-T-A-K-E

I wonder if that part was photoshopped into the picture.