Save The Earth And Your Yuppie Cred With Reusable Starbucks Cup

Do you enjoy Starbucks chilled beverages, but hate the waste that comes from so many disposable plastic cups? Do you also want to keep your friends and co-workers from knowing about your secret environmentalist tendencies? Maybe you should consider purchasing the reusable Starbucks cold cup, a sturdy plastic tumbler made to look just like its flimsier, single-use cousins.

The cups are extremely, inexplicably popular. The holiday edition, featuring a candy cane-striped straw, has already sold out online, can barely stay on the shelves in Starbucks stores, and sells for a significant markup on eBay.

(Of course, if you’re looking for a way to reuse your disposable coffee cups, you could always attach them to your car roof.)

Grande To Go Holiday Cold Cup [Starbucks] (Thanks, Naomi!)

Comments

1. this_is_my_screen_name says:

These cups have been selling for almost double retail on Ebay for like 2 years now.

2. colorisnteverything says:

I saw these just yesterday when I was there in desperation with a friend who needed coffee. Starbucks refused to replace my other tumbler because it was more than 90 days old. Problem is, the rubber stopper NEVER worked properly. *bangs head on desk* I didn’t return it immediately because I was using it for cold beverages and for that it was fine, but for hot, it was all over the place.

So, yeah, wouldn’t buy this.

3. RoofCoffeeCup says:

Yes, for far too long have my family members been tossed away to die in landfills, or even worse, to be burned after being de-lidded! [consumerist.com]

Thank you for letting people know of ways to re-use us to let us live on!

4. chiieddy says:

You also get a discount on your coffee if you bring your own cup into Starbucks. It’s minuscule, but there.

The Venti sized cups are nearly impossible to find. My husband has requests to grab what he can from friends and family when they finally appear in his store. They’ll occasionally make reappearances in the online store, and if you follow @starbucks on twitter, they’ll let you know when they’re there.

• Khidr9 says:

@chiieddy:

Weird – most starbucks I go to have a “policy” of not filling refillable cups due to “health concerns.” It’s a major pita and waste of cups. Glad to hear that’s not universal.

5. katia802 says:

Probably i’d just use one of the cheap plastic resuable cups my gas station sells. Caribou (at least the one by my work) is willing to just refill that for me. (slaps hands so I don’t do the starbucks tastes burnt post that i’ve been waiting for)

6. lhfan04 says:

Wow I wish I knew this before. I work with a grocery store with a Starbucks attached and we had plenty of those cups…

7. The_Red_Monkey says:

I have used these cups since they came out two years ago or so. Then they bust out a Venti version that sells outs really quick.

I have a couple but I mostly use the 20 oz travel cup I got from Peet’s for 7 bucks that has a lock down lid and works for cold or hot just fine.

8. bagumpity says:

What’s Fritalian for “reusable cup?”

Reventi?
    Grandiagain?

9. bohemian says:

I always assumed reusing cup or using someone’s travel mug was a sanitation or health code issue.

If the cup isn’t clean it could contaminate the counter any any equipment they actually put in it like mixing spoons.

10. ArgusRun says:

Must have one now!!!! I’m a year-round iced-coffee drinker.

11. heyitsd says:

These went o nSale the 17th and we sold out the next day!

12. f0nd004u says:

My mom was telling me a story about one of these cups. I live in Portland where yuppies abound, and my mom volunteers at the starbucks-like coffee shop inside her megachurch (don’t get me started on that, it’s a rant for another day).

One of her 6-figure-yuppie friends accidentally left one of these cups in the coffee shop, and my mom had no idea what it was and threw it away. Her friend came back the next day desparately looking for it; apparently when they aren’t in the starbucks stores, these cups can go for $100 on ebay, and that’s where my mom’s friend got hers.

This middle-aged rich lady literally went out to the church dumpster and dived for her cup for an hour. And found it.

13. mjpd1 says:

I’ve got a stack of the “flimsier, single-use cousins” in my kitchen. I simply wash them out when I’m done and reuse them several times over, lid and all. I’ll usually grab 3 or 4 straws whenever I’m actually at Starbucks to use later. I make my own iced coffee at home and it’s nice to have a disposable cup to fill on my way out the door.

14. pixiegirl1 says:

Sorry I’d rather keep the $16 and get the free cup they give your drink in. The better ? is why don’t people recycle their cups when done, or why doesn’t starbucks have a recycle bin next to the trash for all their plastic cups to go in?

15. takotchi says:

I managed to snag one of the smaller 16 oz. ones on the way home (didn’t see the 20 oz.) I’ve never been to Starbucks (not a coffee guy) but I thought the cup was neat because it looks like a disposable cup, but isn’t.

16. veg-o-matic says:

If you’re going to be spending that much on a coffee conveyance system, why not get an awesometastic Sigg mug instead?

I’m sure there are Starbucks stickers and whatnot the true brand loyalists could throw on it…

17. morganlh85 says:

I might get one…I like the fact that they are double walled so it won’t leak all over my desk and oh-so-expensive laptop.

If you are looking for one, try the non-corporate stores like the ones in Macy’s…I saw a basket full of them the other day.

18. brandmuffin says:

I just saw these minus the Starbucks logo at ROSS for $3.99. However I have the Starbucks one.

19. brandiniman says:

bpa much?

20. pot_roast says:

I got two of these a few days ago from a local Starbucks. I had pondered putting them on eBay but then I noticed that ebay has been *flooded* with them, and a lot of the auctions are ending without a sale. That coupled with eBay’s seller-hostile policies put me off on it.

My wife got one of the older ones. She uses it daily for iced coffees at her work and also for water. The cups are getting used *constantly* around here.

21. BlazerUnit says:

Someday, someone is going to invent a reusable container for fast food meals that’s durable, washable, and eliminative of landfill trash for dine-in and carry-out customers. And you won’t look like a dork for using it.

If I were any sort of smart inventive soul, I would be that person, because I’ve had this idea for a few years without any way of making it happen. I’ve kicked around ideas for a mini-tray or some sort of snap-lid box, but in any event, I’m sure local health codes would kill any such idea. Or worst of all, this isn’t a new idea at all and I’m a dummy for thinking it was original.

22. LucyTuzy says:

@pecan 3.14159265: I have the ceramic cup and I love it, but I wish it were bigger. I’m more of a grande kind of girl.

23. MercuryPDX says:

@h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes: Ditto. Between that and the Zhu Zhu Pet frenzy, maybe I can cash in.

24. Matt says:

@h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes: Yeah our sbux across the street from my office has piles of them, probably 30 or 40 sitting there. Is this like Beanie Babies, except for cups?

25. Matt says:

@gStein_wondering if this will work: They also refuse to touch the lid and make you remove it prior to giving it to them, to avoid contamination.

26. drjayphd says:

@Kimaroo – Fortified with Kittydus Purrularis: Eh, here’s how I rationalized it. It’s $.10 off every time you use it. The grande was $14.95, so if you use it 150 times, it’s paid for itself.

Now, how fast you hit 150 times is another question… (sips iced coffee in the middle of November (in Connecticut))