Turn Your Perfectly Normal Jeans Into Stirrup Pants

Maybe the Mayans were right about this whole apocalypse thing. Stirrup pants have returned to haunt shoppers, appearing everywhere to terrify shoppers. But then we at Consumerist received an e-mail about a product intended to turn regular, innocent, civilized, non-stirrup pants into stirrup pants. Why? WHY?

The product, Jean Straps, even has a cute creation story.

Like many practical fashionistas, the Jean Straps founders struggled with a common problem: getting their boots and jeans to play well together. They had both invested in expensive pairs of boots and premium denim, but when it came to wearing those boots over the denim, it was a less than elegant process. Pulling the boots on presented a major challenge, with way too much tugging, yanking and tucking pant legs into socks. Even when they got the boots on, the jeans rode up throughout the day, leaving them with baggy knees.

Maybe I’m just bigoted against anything that resembles stirrup pants. I rarely wear jeans and don’t own any boots, so tell me, fashionable consumerists: is this a problem worth solving? Is it a problem worth creating something that resembles that abomination known as stirrup pants to solve?

Jean Straps [Official Site]

Comments

1. HRGirl wants a cookie says:

These are the dorkiest things i’ve seen in a long while and i desperately want a pair. Over-the-knee boots are IN for fall and i’d take these over jeans stuffed in socks any day.

2. Niphil says:

If they’re in the shoes, where no one can see them, who cares? I don’t wear skinny jeans, and I could use these with some of my nice boots.

Also, very very few people should ever wear skinny jeans.

3. laurenface says:

Stiruppz, another company, makes the same sort of product and sells it for $15 more: [stiruppz.com]

I actually think the concept is brilliant, especially as someone brand new to wearing boots with too much hip to pull off skinny jeans. However, I think $25, and even $10, are too much to pay for the convenience. Instead, I ordered a pair of jodhpur clips (an equestrian accessory) from amazon for less than $3. No one can see what you are wearing inside your boot, or that you are wearing anything at all for that matter.

4. ArcanaJ says:

“Is it a problem worth creating something that resembles that abomination known as stirrup pants to solve?”

First of all, they didn’t create those things. Those “stirrup” things are available in any fabric store for about three bucks. They’re used for many purposes.

The real crime here is the price that website is charging.

5. jezebelseven says:

I was actually looking to pick up something like these this weekend to tuck my jeans inside my ugg cardy boots. I figured I would check the craft store and worst case make my own. Even tucking my jeans in my socks doesn’t work with my cardy boots, hopefully the stirrups will!

6. nbs2 says:

The only person wearing stirrups should be a baseball player. And for them, it should be mandatory.

7. veg-o-matic says:

Or.. buy a pair of 80′s-certified strong mitten clips at your local Goodwill for like 1/10th the price and none of the smarmy fashion ‘tude.

8. Sham03 says:

Those look just like bed sheet straps:

[www.made-in-china.com]

9. forzan says:

“Stirrup pants have returned to haunt shoppers, appearing everywhere to terrify shoppers”

I’m searching and looking for a word, something like redundant.

10. rockasocky says:

Stirrup tights with high heels are in, in Tokyo. At least these stirrups a) aren’t visible and b) serve a purpose.

11. annalee says:

You know what they say about if you can’t beat ‘em, … At least there is a product that keeps your jeans nicely tucked in AND is an adorable fashion accessory – JeanGrabbers! (Who doesn’t want to look good with boots on AND off??) They have darling designs to choose from, elastic strap is silky soft, and the clips have different metallic finishes (including copper!) with have a most adorable little boot embossed on each. Check them out, see what you think – http://www.jeangrabbers.com. (Special price for a 3-unit bundle makes then the perfect for stocking stuffers!)

12. jquinn says:

Elements of the 80′s are back and have been for a while, but Jean Straps are so much more about function. It doesn’t mean that stirrup pants are back in style, it just means that you can make your own stirrups jeans and no one even has to know!

13. inadequatewife says:

@UGAdawg: I actually own a pair of these stirrup clips left over from the ’80s. We wore them with granny boots and jeans. They’ve been tucked away in the back of my sock drawer for (holy crap) 25 years or so. I’ve kept them since they do serve a purpose and don’t take up much space.

14. h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes says:

@subtlefrog: Some day I need to find a picture of me from 2nd grade. Picture this: a fat, nerdy little girl in BRIGHT pop-art print stirrup pants, huge green tie-dyed shirt with green rhinestones glued on the neck and accented with silver glitter puffy paint, those old Keds with spiral no-tie laces, and wearing a French braid. Oh, and giant glasses with little rhinestones on the frames. Thanks, Mom.
    No one should have to experience trauma like I did. Please, won’t someone think of the children?

15. Charmander says:

@subtlefrog: Except that NOBODY KNOWS they are stirrup pants. They are designed to hold in your jeans while you are wearing knee-length boots.

It seems to me that the author of this article does not wear jeans tucked into knee-length boots, like I do, during the winter. If she did, she would realize this is the

Greatest. Invention. Ever.

All it is doing is holding in your jeans, cords, which tend to ride up when you sit or bend. When you wear tights or hose, not a problem, or when you wear pants over your boots. But I like my jeans in the boots, so I am going to say YAY! for this product.

16. P_Smith says:

@subtlefrog: I had completely forgotten about stirrup pants from the 80s. I was happily living the delusion that the worst fashion disasters were narrow ties and izod shirts.

Cripes, I’ve tried jogging tights which have stirrups and they’re annoying beyond belief. How could anyone wear pants like that, with the feeling that the stirrups are going to cause your pants or tights to slip down to your hips?

17. KarlB says:

@Eyebrows McGee (now with more baby!):
    I beg to differ. Jeans in boots (and just visible boots in general) are way sexy.

But yeah to the opinion of actual stirrup pants: not hot unless you think Laura Petrie is hot, in which case, ew.

18. pecan 3.14159265 says:

@Eyebrows McGee (now with more baby!): Jeans in boots is a must in the winter. I hate, hate, hate wet jean bottoms. And I have awesome boots to show off.

19. lolan64 says:

@Eyebrows McGee (now with more baby!): Ranch? Really? I cannot imagine seeing my fellow Manhattan women walking around with their jeans over their boots like it’s 1995 or something. Fashion changes with time and you either keep up with it or resign yourself to choosing a decade to retire in. As for this whole idea that it’s an unflattering silhouette, that’s just crazy (unless you are out of shape, I suppose). And don’t get me started on boot-cut jeans, which died out in fashionable society how long ago? I suppose we will have to agree to disagree here; you think my jeans and boots are “for the ranch” and I think one should update their style with the times.

20. ArcanaJ says:

@Eyebrows McGee (now with more baby!): I had a friend in High School who had a similar saying. “You have to suffer to be beautiful!” Bleh, I think I’d rather be ugly, thanks.

21. jurisenpai says:

@Eyebrows McGee (now with more baby!): Agreed! I wear my sexy boots UNDER the boot-cut jeans, as intended. The only people that can wear skinny jeans and boots atop them are teenage girls; I think the rest of us need to balance out the silhouette a little more. :)

FWIW, I wear boots with skirts if I want to show them off!

22. Eldritch says:

@GreatWhiteNorth: The answer is b, Alex. :D

23. subtlefrog says:

@h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes: Oh come on, we ALL had the shirt with the puffy paint. And the unicorn laces? Loved those. I had ones that matched my purple tennis shoes. Oh yes.

AND – I would have killed for a mom who could french braid my hair.

24. subtlefrog says:

@h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes: Scary part – I thought you were much younger than me – did these fashions hang on much longer than I thought? Or was your mom just that mean?

25. lolan64 says:

@misslisa: What you have described is not fashion, it is function. “Needing” to tuck pants into boots in poor weather is simply being practical, as opposed to tucking them in for fashion purposes when there is nothing to “wade” in (and there is very little accumulation in NY, so not much wading goes on). In addition, we are talking about cute boots here, not snow boots, and I certainly wouldn’t wear my Michael Kors in poor weather. Manhattan and LA are the fashion centers of the US, setting trends that the rest of the country eventually picks up. Of course style is different in warmer climates, but we are talking about locations in which people do wear boots and jeans, so I’m going to say the topic is automatically excluding San Diego and the like… The point of this is, it takes time for fashion to spread from the hubs, and some people never seem to be able to pick it up at all. Rock those boot-cut jeans over your boots, you bold fashion maven, and enjoy the statement you’re making.

26. h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes says:

@subtlefrog: I think it’s a combination of a few things. I turned 25 this year, so I don’t think we’re *that* far off. But: 1. my mom is pretty much evil incarnate, 2. I lived in Vermont which was consistently behind the times in everything, and 3. I was completely ignorant to fashion, so chances are good that by the time they got to us and my mom went “Hey, I’d like to put my child in these clothes” or I received them as gifts, they were heinously out of style and I just didn’t care. My aunt from New Jersey bought me some tiger print Zubaz once in the city, and I was flyyyyyyy.

27. Karyn says:

@HogwartsAlum: @bohemian: I guess I’m really showing my age here ;) but this site is claiming these ladies invented the straps. Just how significantly do you have to alter a product to get a new patent?

I had some boot straps 25 years ago when I was skinny enough to wear skinny jeans with my low top boots (and probably still have them tucked away in a long-ago-forgotten storage box). Mine had some sort of alligator-style clips though, not a garter belt clip.

Maybe they invented garters too? LOL