Toys Are Not Immune To All-Zapping Shrink Ray

Alexey has found the ubiquitous Grocery Shrink Ray is also zapping toys. The pictured Imaginarium blocks used to come in sets of 200, as is reflected in the old price tag, barely visible at the bottom of the screen, but has been shrunk down to 150.

Alexey writes:

Last Sunday, we stopped by Toys’R’Us to buy some present for our daughter. What caught my eye, though, was that the wooden block set we bought several months earlier was hit by a shrink ray: it used to be 200 pieces in a box, now it’s only 150. Photos attached (sorry for the quality, took them with a cellphone). Ironically, the price tag still lists the item as “200 pcs” — so there are less blocks for the same price.

Maybe this is just Imaginarium’s way of forcing kids to be more creative and do more with less. It should prepare them well for downsizing-happy corporate culture.

Comments

1. Smashville says:

But on the plus side…bilingual blocks!

• mergatroy6 says:

@Smashville_now with Monster Energy: why does every children’s toy need to be bilingual these days?

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

@mergatroy6: Because the companies make one set of packaging to sell in multiple places, in this case, probably in the continental US, Puerto Rico, and maybe Mexico.

My maxi pads come in three languages — English, Spanish, and French — with a more extensive label than is required by US law because they’re sold in the same packaging in the US, Mexico, and Canada.

I don’t know why people (not you, mergatroy, but people generally) get wound up about companies putting two languages on things when it’s clearly to their economic benefit and dictated by the free market. Since the same people it upsets are usually free-market acolytes ALL THE REST OF THE TIME as long as it doesn’t involve Ñs. Oh, no, the tildes! The tildes are destroying America!

2. Anto103 says:

So will I still be able to build a Tokyo and play Godzilla? Or am I forced to build a msaller and less significant city.

3. Colonel Jack O'Neill says:

Maybe they have two set one with 200, and another with 150, and it was put on the wrong shelf.

4. Smashville says:

@mergatroy6: It’s the secret Dora the Explorer lobby.

5. SatisfriedCrustomer says:

Wooden toys are definitely a limited resource. I still have my wooden bricks from when I was a kid – Even today I could have trouble getting my hand around one. Blocks for kids today are just big enough so that they don’t legally constitute a choking hazard, and that’s it.

6. AllanG54 says:

They probably did this because the tree huggers were complaining.

7. Phil Keeps It Real [Consumerist] says:

I was happy, and still continue to be so, with the ball and a cup gift I get every christmas. Shrink Ray THAT!…please don’t take the string away or make it any shorter.

8. Funklord says:

Take a look at Melissa & Doug’s latest offerings. They’ve done all sorts of redesigns on their toys and nearly every single one is smaller than the previous version.

9. Scoobatz says:

I wanted to say this doesn’t prove anything, but a quick Internet search showed that Imaginarium, at one time, did sell a 200 piece set for $29.99.

Just buy it and pretend your kids lost 50 pieces already.

10. H3ion says:

We bought a Barbie doll and the package only had the torso.

11. sammy_b says:

@gStein_has joined the star bandwagon: it really bugs me when people make that mistake.

12. Stilor says:

No, there was no 200pcs packages on the shelf anymore and there was no price tag for 150pcs package.

13. MostlyHarmless says:

@Eyebrows McGee (now with more baby!): Hahahahaha. Its funny. And kinda sad that you are getting more aware to vote losing lines. We like your brutal honesty :)

That said, hope you have a successful career. Maybe I might even get a chance to vote for you one day!

14. Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

@MostlyHarmless: It’s okay, I have an honesty problem. As in, slightly too much of it, in too-blunt terms (“Abstinence-only education is moronic” was a campaign quote.). I won’t go far in politics. :)