Geek Squad Turns Your Laptop Into An XBOX 360?

Reader Taylor is a little concerned about his laptop. It died on Halloween and he took it in to Best Buy the next day. Two weeks later, he typed his order number into the Geek Squad website and found that a little Halloween magic had taken place. His laptop was now an XBOX 360.

Taylor says:

My Compaq laptop’s hard drive bit the dust on Halloween, and I took it to Best Buy and invoked my extended warranty the next day. Despite the fact that they could have simply given me an identical hard drive or replaced it on the spot, they decided to send it out to HP. It’s been there for a little more than 2 weeks now, and i went to the geek squad email they sent me to check its status. I entered in my order number and zip code, and lo and behold, i was presented with the attached image. Note that “Your service number has been changed to” is blank.

2 weeks ago, when i received the letter, the fields were populated with the correct information for my computer and serial number. The schedule dates in the table below the information are still correct. I called the Best Buy in question, and they responded with something along the lines of “uhhhhh…anything can happen”. I’m not exactly confident that this is going to resolve itself nicely

We’ve got our fingers crossed for ya, man.

Comments

1. halcyondays says:

It’s a Halloween miracle!!

2. dohtem says:

He turned in a Compaq laptop and got an Xbox 360? I don’t think I would complain ;)

Ok, all Compaq bashing aside… do they still make laptops or are they just rebadged HPs? Or is this a really old laptop?

3. Pupator says:

h cm n. srvc tch typs n wrng sk whn h mks th srvc rdr. t gts t th rpr fclty, thy ctch th mstk nd mk nw srvc tg.

Ths s cnsmr nws?

4. Sameday says:

I just got the exact same thing on e-mail on Nov 11th. New service number with no number attached and saying Microsoft XBox info under Manufacturer. They have had my Toshiba laptop going on three weeks.

• Jupichan says:

@Sameday:

The idea that it’s happened once is weird. The idea that it’s happened twice is amusing.

If it happens a third time… GEEK SQUAD ARE WITCHES!

5. Smashville says:

@Pupator: Finalist for this week’s worst “Why s ths n Cnsmrst?”

6. Admiral_John says:

Does ANYONE actually ever had a good experience with Geek Squad?

• jayphat says:

@wchamilton: no

• A Penguin On The Telly says:

@wchamilton: I’ve only used them once, but it was a fine experience.

My computer stopped booting and hung on a black screen. I did all I knew to do, e.g. check for bad memory or hard drive, try reinstalling the OS, swap in a known to work graphics card, and it still hung on the screen. I suspected a bad power supply, but I didn’t have a way to check that. So, I took it to the squad, clearly explained the problem and what I had tried, and gave my baby to them for a diagnostic. Within 24 hours I got a call back and the PS wasn’t putting out the full rated amount. I went back, paid the minimal bench fee, and ordered a new PS from Newegg. Problem solved.

Usually I can fix things myself, but if you are intelligent and lacking proper test equipment, the Geek Squad can be of some use. It’s the people who know less than the squad members who usually have the best horror stories.

• stormbird says:

@wchamilton: I took in an X-Box and got a Compaq laptop! That was pretty good for me.

7. SkuldChan says:

Clearly a typo (or something), but I have to wonder who gets their machine serviced at geek squad? All I read are horror stories about over priced service on simple repairs they send out to the OEM anyhow (which you could have done too).

8. Sheogorath says:

Well, technically they ARE right. Anything CAN happen. It just doesn’t always.

9. RanChan03 says:

oh geek squad and their fail boat :)

they must’ve learned the “special” magic on the short bus :)

10. A Penguin On The Telly says:

This may actually be a blessing in disguise. Hopefully Best Buy loses your laptop and they’ll replace it with a new one which is the same price you paid for yours. That’s what happened when they lost my ipod anyway.

11. jfp14reg says:

To be honest, I have had great luck with Geek Squad. I had an extended warranty with them for my laptop, and 2 years into it, my hard drive crashed. Brought it in (it was 120 gig), they tested it and agreed and all they had was a 320 gig, so within 2 hours, they had the new 360 gig HD installed. They were real nice about it. Probably depends where you go, no reason to send it in for a HD.

12. kippihax says:

This happened to me on a Best Buy repair. A 27″ TV went in and a few weeks later it turned into a camcorder. The net result was “Pick any 27″ TV as a replacement.”

13. valueofaloonie says:

I am SO jealous that Best Buy has figured out the secrets of alchemy.

Next stop, gold!

14. MisterE says:

I think a small claims lawsuit would help…

15. jpdanzig says:

Is Compaq part of HP now? I wonder which has a worse failure rate — HP laptops or Xboxes. Sounds like a close race, from the horror stories we read here!

As for Best Buy and the Geek Squad — why would anyone buy a big-ticket item like a computer at BB to begin with?

And then compound the problem by buying one of their extended warranties??? Why not just wear a tag on your butt, “Kick me here”…

16. zerok00l420 says:

thats what you get for buying at bestbuy!!!!
    no sypathy atall.

17. pot_roast says:

Let us know if you actually get an Xbox 360 back, and REALLY let us know if you can actually get onto Xbox Live with it. :)

18. FDCPAGuy says:

Here let me be helpful. OP call 888-BESTBUY and have them check their records. It’s possible there is a database error with the web site and the main phone number or even the local store has different systems which should be correct.

19. el1tewombat says:

This same thing recently happen to my girlfriend. Two weeks ago she brought her camera in to have it sent off to be fix. Checks her service number a few days ago and finds that camera is now a xbox 360. Turns out they never sent her camera in and the manger said that her number was dropped and replace with a new order number.

20. ian says:

It’s a website bug. Same thing happened to one of my customers a couple of weeks ago, but everything was correct in the repair system (where it counts).

21. pecan 3.14159265 says:
  22. goodpete says:

@wchamilton: Probably because of your lack of experience.

As @jaya9581 noted, Geek Squad is a sales force. Not a tech support force. Any repair more complicated than an OS reinstall or malware scan gets sent off site. So it’s not important to hire people who know how to build/fix computers. Instead, it’s prudent to hire folks who can effectively sell service plans and then declare them void at a later date.

We just had a Micro Center Electroics open up about 2 blocks from my house. So I’m glad to say I might never set foot in a Best Buy again. Thank you Micro Center. Sure, you’re not perfect, but what’s more important is that you’re not Best Buy!

23. Joeb5 says:

@wchamilton:
    they want people who can sell not real techs.

24. dorianh49 says:

@pecan 3.14159265: maybe pupator wouldn’t be so curmudgeony if s/he had some friends. Anyone want to volunteer to click the heart? Not me…

25. Batwaffel says:

@donnie5: You, sir, win the thread. LOL

26. Dafrety says:

@plamoni: I am in lurve with Micro Center. The one “near” me does price matches online, and they always have cheap branded flash drives and memory cards near the checkout.

27. Révolution says:

@Dafrety: Who doesn’t love MC? They have just about everything except graphics cards/cases deeply discounted. I got a Core 2 Quad (Q9550) for $100 off! ($150)