Pingtest Grades Your Internet Connection Quality

Pingtest is a free service that evaluates the quality and reliability of your internet connection.

This is different from the numerous free services that tell you your speed. Pingtest gives your conncection a grade, calculating for ping time, packet loss, and the difference between your ping times or “jitter.”

If you have a crappy connection, maybe you can use this test to negotiate a discount with your ISP, or get inspired to try switching to a different one.

pingtest.net

Comments

1. Triterion says:

Sweet, 11ms ping and 1ms jitter, i win.

2. veronykah says:

3. katstermonster says:

@Triterion: 8 ms ping, 0 ms jitter.

BOOSH!

4. reuvenb says:

Don’t forget Speedtest.net as well. I think it’s also done by Ookla.

5. Colonel Jack O'Neill says:

All of these kinds of test are garbage. With this they choosing the closet server to you, and the closer the server is to you, the better it’s gonna be. In order to get real results, you should pick the server that is the farthest away from you that you can.

6. Fujikopez says:

This stupid thing crashed my browser. Grr.

7. CompyPaq says:

I tested it from my University. I got an ‘F’. I guess that’s why Hulu doesn’t really work.

• rickhamilton620 says:

@CompyPaq: I got a D, Uni internet sucks in general. Can barely watch standard YouTube vids…irritating..

• Wireless Joe says:

@CompyPaq: Ah, takes me back to the days of playing Quake CTF online from the dorms at Washington State university. Always had less than a 10ms ping, while a lot of people were still on dialup. My handle was LPB.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@CompyPaq: I have a B at home and Hulu doesn’t stream continuously. I have to stop it to let it buffer. You being at a university means there are thousands of people online at any given moment. It makes sense why Hulu may not work nearly as well as say, 5 am when the majority of students are likely to be asleep.

8. pittstonjoma says:

I got an A.

9. mwshook says:

Crashes Firefox. LOL. Crashed it 3 times in a row. Does that mean I get an F?

10. golddog says:

If I was going to go to the trouble of creating a website like this, I’d make sure it worked the same across browsers.

Firefox reports 99% packet loss yet my connection speed and ping time are what they are supposed to be (which would be impossible with 99% packet loss). In IE it reports it can’t even test packet loss. I didn’t care enough to look at my logs but they must be trying to use a funky port/protocol.

Although to their credit, they do take a page from Google and say “Beta”. Ping me back when you get out of Beta.

• AnthonyC says:

@golddog:
      I use firefox, too (in XP). The website is just fine for me.

It did ask me to allow the site to do something Java-related. Do you have Java on your computer?

• yellowlight says:

@golddog: I remember it gave me some trouble until I turned off my firewall. Also make sure you use a server close to you.

11. Hoss says:

The Consumerist, a not for profit site often makes positive mention of for profit web sites without third party attribution but doesnt on the other hand promote non-web consumer products (as would be expected, they should not). The subtlety is confusing.

12. NightSteel says:

My big question is, do ISPs prioritize traffic to known connection testing sites? My home connection has been crappy for weeks, until I go to do a speed test, then it’s frickin’ awesome.

• baquwards says:

@NightSteel: same here. I can’t even watch youtube videos but when I do a speed test it is like 10 mbps on a 7mbps connection. I feel that I may be being throttled, I hate time warner cable!

13. Telekinesis123 says:

Bah SHAW Cable! I got a D and I have their “Extreme” internet package. >.<

14. the lesser of two weevils says:

I dont know how I got an A. This is the slowest “high speed” connection I’ve ever had (Time Warner). Also confusing is that I thought I had RoadRunner but apparently my isp is Earthlink.

• Rachacha says:

@the lesser of two weevils: Remember, this is only looking at the delay time from when your computer asks the server something, and when the server responds. It has nothing to with the actual download speed (unless you are experiencing severe ping delay in which case you will notice a delay because the servers take a long time to respond to you).

To check your download and upload speeds, check [speedtest.net]

15. ElPresidente408 says:

All this is looking at is how your connection performs in theory. You’re better off starting a download and run “netstat -s”.

Compare the “Segments Sent / Segments Retransmitted” numbers. That’s a better indication of packet loss.

16. JackieEggs says:

Packet loss = 0, Pinged in at 32ms (is that good or bad?), Jitter = 1 ms…

Color me confuzzled.

• proskills says:

@JackieEggs: When it comes to ping, that is the total time it takes your packet to travel from your computer, to their server, and receive a different packet back. Anything under 60 ms is considered fine, anything under 20 ms is considered excellent.

17. happyandblue2 says:

I scored a B on the crappiest connection ever known to humankind..

18. squishyalt says:

BEWARE! It also crashes Firefox 3.5.5!

• ShadowFalls says:

@squishyalt:

Doesn’t crash mine.

• squishyalt says:

@ShadowFalls: It was probably because I didn’t have Java installed. IMHO, Java is crapware and a potential liability to any system that runs it.

Perhaps the developer should make the app NOT run if Java is not installed – instead of crashing the browser with no info as to why.

19. TheMonkeyKing says:

I stick with DSL reports because it measures my connection and then compares the same type by locality, giving me an understanding just how badly Verizon mauls me every month.

20. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Wow, that’s awesome.

21. circumpunct says:

Ping time is pretty irrelevant. It’s a measure of latency, not throughput. High bandwidth satellite systems have HUGE ping times as the signal goes way out into space and back again to get to the server, then repeats the trip coming back. But they are massively faster than many terrestrial technologies with short ping times.

22. P=mv says:

@DangerMouth: Didn’t you do the “temp permission” thing? Now I’ll have to check mine and make sure its still working how I want it to.

23. DangerMouth says:

@AshCatScram: The firefox box popped up and gave me a choice of ‘unblock’ or ‘keep blocking’, I don’t know if it was refering to just that page or connection. I’m poking around now..

24. Rachacha says:

@katstermonster: I think you and I tied 8ms ping 0ms jitter…I LOVE FiOS!

25. cookmefud says:

@subtlefrog: and I looked at it and thought “ewwwww….earthlink.”

26. DangerMouth says:

@xtc46 – thinksmarter on twitter: Thanks, I checked, whatever it was, my actual firewall is firmly in place, Crisis averted, lol.

27. j-o-h-n says:

@PsiCop: Well, it’s certainly the bottleneck between my computer and where we connect to the “commodity internet”, but after that, there may, of course, be other slower places between me and any given destination.