Generic Winn-Dixie Snack Bags Must Be Awesome

Reader BrotherFlounder is wondering what’s so special about these generic Winn-Dixie snack bags that makes them more expensive than similar brand name ones.

BrotherFlounder says:

I was shopping at Winn-Dixie yesterday when I found something rather odd. I always assumed that the generic store brand items were supposed to be cheaper than national brand, barring a sale. But here the generic “snack” bags, which are actually a bit smaller than the Glad sandwich bags, are nearly a dollar more expensive. No sales, either.

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen something nutty like this at Winn-Dixie. Not sure what’s going on over there. Maybe they’re trying to emulate Target?

It’s always a good idea to pay attention to prices — even with generics. You never know what goes on in the mind of a grocery store.

Comments

1. DerangedRoleModel says:

I can’t see the picture – is there a quantity difference?

• morganlh85 says:

@DerangedRoleModel: You don’t have to see the picture, just read the article.

“…which are actually a bit smaller than the Glad sandwich bags, are nearly a dollar more expensive.”

• bender123 says:

@morganlh85:

they are referring to the size of the bags…not the quantity of bags inside the box. Our local staores have similar products and the sandwich bags usually have far fewer bags than the snack backs…you get almost twice as many in the snack bags.

• ablestmage says:

The picture is the real article, not the commentary. the vast majority of department store price-confused picture-snappers can be easily investigated online if the clarity of the pictures (and thus, the numbers on the labels) were easily seen. I could just as easily take a blurry picture of an elephant and claim that your mother is a gray, big-eared, slow-moving blob. Who cares what the picture is of, indeed.

• ChrisC1234 says:

@DerangedRoleModel: $2.89 for the Winn-Dixie bags and $1.99 for the Glad bags.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

@DerangedRoleModel: And as always you pay more for the “convenience” of a smaller package.

• triscuitbiscuit says:

@DerangedRoleModel:
      Have you tried zooming in and enhancing the picture to see the quantity? I heard that works really well…

• Digitizer says:

@triscuitbiscuit: Wow, it’s AMAZING what a little detective work will do. I zoomed in, and ALAS, between the rough pixelation it looks like the generic brand reads either a 34 or 14 (now of course at the price, those would have to be some huge bags). On the other side (the right side) the major brand has numbers on it that look to my aging eyes to be a 30? 32? I don’t know, what do you see? I mean, if you heard enhancement works so well, I figured you might be able to enlighten everyone else with the truth.

• Smashville says:

@triscuitbiscuit: Does this look like CSI: Miami?

2. winshape says:

“You never know what goes on in the mind of a grocery store.”

Umm…profit?

3. davere says:

I’ve noticed this at Target (of course) several times.

4. kathyl says:

I still think the price discrepancy is strange, but it should be noted that you are comparing apples and oranges. Snack size bags and sandwich size bags are two completely different things. Snack size bags are less than half the size of a sandwich bag and are used for a completely different purpose. I don’t think it’s logical to compare prices on those items.

5. Covertghost says:

Pretty sure it’s because drug dealers used to buy them all so they realized the market was lucrative…

Or something

6. JWBrockman says:

Sandwich bags are more popular, thus they sell more of them at a lesser price. This is like being confused that a size 8A shoe could cost you more than a size 11D, even though you can put more foot in the 11D.

7. mbz32190 says:

Weird…I noticed the same thing a few years ago..the Glad bags, with more in them, were less expensive than the store brand (not winn-dixie). I haven’t bought any in at least a year though so this may have been corrected.

8. mwc5446 says:

Probably $1.50 coupon deal

9. Charmander says:

Why would you take a picture comparing two different KINDS of items? One contains snack bags; the other regular sandwich bages.

I would like to see the prices of the other snack bags along with the Winn-Dixie snack bag – then I could really compare apples to apples here.

As it stands, it’s a very odd post by Megan, since it doesn’t really make sense.

10. Kuchen says:

@GitEmSteveDave_Isn’tFreshPerked: Yeah, I’m not sure this is a fair comparison since it’s not only a different size bag, but I can’t tell from the picture how many bags are in each package. I mean, how much were the Glad snack bags? Are they more expensive than the sandwich bags?

11. scoosdad says:

@GitEmSteveDave_Isn’tFreshPerked: I buy both types of bags (smaller snack size, and the usual sandwich bags) and they’re almost always the same thickness of plastic, no matter whose they are.

I vote on the quantity difference between the packaging being the main reason.

12. katstermonster says:

@GitEmSteveDave_Isn’tFreshPerked: I don’t like pointy snacks. I don’t believe in triangles or rectangles.

13. floraposte says:

@katstermonster: To me, a 90º angle constitutes a point in a snack, as the issue is the ability to puncture. Discuss.

14. subtlefrog says:

@katstermonster: Don’t believe in them as in you don’t believe they exist? Because I could send you some to prove their existence. Or we could create a mathematical proof of Doritos.

15. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

@pecan 3.14159265: OMG.. I love Bugles. They are so fun.. and tastey too!

Last night I bought the FlipSide Crackers… pretty good as well.

16. leastcmplicated says:

@Loias: i can think of 2 around me, surprisingly one of them is smack between a publix and kroger and still going strong

17. LastError says:

@Loias: Indeed they DO still exist. Not as good as they were maybe 10 years ago, particularly with all the cuts in the store brand items, but WD is still kicking around. We used to have them in my area. My family misses WD.

18. GitEmSteveDave_Isn'tFreshPerked says:

@Kimaroo – Fortified with Kittydus Purrularis: My one kitteh, Trouble loved anything corn related. Bugles, popcorn, cornbread muffins, etc…

19. nagumi says:

@Kimaroo – Fortified with Kittydus Purrularis: I have not had a bugle in 15 years…..

20. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

@subtlefrog: Mmmm. Tasty math.

21. P=mv says:

@subtlefrog: Winn Dixie is a scary place. Don’t ever buy fresh stuff from them. Stay away from anything in the meat and frozen departments and only buy from the nonperishables if you can’t go somewhere else.

22. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@floraposte: Yeah, I’ve never seen a size 8 shoe cost more than a size 11 shoe of the same size. In fact, size 11 is usually where the price jump occurs.