Checklist Your Way To Thanksgiving Success

It’s time to get ready for Thanksgiving. Stay in budget and manage your time effectively with ShelterPop’s pre-Turkey Day checklist. What do you do around your house to prepare?

(Photo: basykes)

1. larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

1) Swedish meatballs in the freezer
    2) Wii operational
    3) Books on hand

OK, I’m ready.

2. DirectMailFan says:

Well, that’s pretty thorough!

But given these times, I suggest that we considerthose less fortunate than ourselves (veterans, homeless, seniors) and donate some time by helping out at a “soup kitchen”. At Thanksgiving & Christmnas the last three years, I’ve spent a few hours 2 or 3 days before helping to prepare, then serve, a very nice meal.

Or, you can always buy a little extra (canned goods, especially) to donate to whoever is conducting a drive to put together food baskets at a food bank.

• Slave For Turtles says:

@DirectMailFan: The school here does a big food drive, which they organize as a contest per class. The class with the most items wins, but easily half the food donated are ramen noodles packs. It’s very disturbing that the boxes of soy milk and cereal that my children bring are frowned upon by their peers since the money could have been “better” spent on ramen to help their class. Wrong message there, but my kids understand.

3. lucky929 says:

Reading that list is enough to make me want to just make reservations at the nice place around the corner.

• magic8ball says:

@lucky929: I don’t even own a tablecloth, and I can’t remember the last time I cleaned behind my couch. I … I feel so inadequate.

• lucky929 says:

@magic8ball: Seriously. I can’t remotely cook. I only go under my couch if I’ve lost something that may have rolled under there. I use Facebook to invite people to things. Martha Stewart actually wants to punch me in the face.

4. Bluth_Cornballer says:

I call shenanigans. Nowhere on that list does it mention mom swearing because the potato casserole is still cold in the middle, uncles arguing over the dark meat, or me complaining that I have to sit the kids table in the next room even though I’m in my 30s.

• Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

I have never understood the “kids table”. This is a family holiday, not a bachelor party. I have done Thanksgiving at my house for the past 10 years and I (a guy) do ALL the cooking, for 16 this year.

When it comes to seating, I run a couple of folding tables from the dining room table and around a corner into the living room. Yes, some of the kids like to sit near each other, but they are interspersed with the adults, not sentenced to Siberia.

5. umbriago says:

1. Keep the cats out of the oven.
    2. Warm up TV for the annual national TV appearance of my beloved football team from childhood, the Detroit Lions (seriously).
    3. Make sure I have plenty of ice and clean cocktail glasses.
    4. Head off to wherever I was invited to a couple of weeks before, since they always feel sorry for the single guys.
    5. Let cats back into oven.

6. Etoiles says:

Ours is easy: I’m cooking the full spread, but just for two of us. No decorations… we’ll probably eat it on the couch, wearing flannel jammies. ;)

7. Jon34511 says:

What is Thansgiving? Sorry I couldn’t help myself :)

8. CompyPaq says:

I never understood the uproad over cooking a thanksgiving meal:

Turkey: 5 minutes of prep, 3 hours of cook time. Start it in the afternoon, it will be ready for dinner.
    Stuffing: 10 minutes of prep, can cook alongside turkey
    Mashed Potatos: 5 minutes of prep, 10 minutes cooking, 5 minutes finishing
    Green Beans: 10 minutes prep, 10 minutes cooking

This is maybe 30 min of hands on cooking.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

@CompyPaq: Not that many people cook, let alone do a main course and side dishes!

• DoubleBaconVeggieBurger says:

@CompyPaq: Well, you’ve only accounted for 3 sides. And where’s the gravy? There’s rolls, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes… usually one other thing. I don’t get too stressed out about it but it does take some coordination for everything to come out of kitchen at roughly the same time and temperature.

9. ArcanaJ says:

I declared a halt to big family gatherings years ago. My mother already lives with us and that’s stressful enough on regular days. No need for some giant menu either, turkey and some basic sides are plenty.

Let the extended family squabble over giblets and football, I demand peace and quiet (and pie) on Holidays.

10. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Where is the part about convincing the Australian husband that even though his people don’t have Thanksgiving, his wife thinks it’s very important and doesn’t want to be a single girl on such an important family day? *sigh*

11. Alexander says:

My checklist for success in Thanksgiving:

1) Plane tickets out of Dodge. SUCCESS!

12. Powerlurker says:

Step 1: Drive to ski hill.
    Step 2: Ski (weather permitting)
    Step 3: Eat Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant.

13. katia802 says:

My sweet 6 yr old nephew invited us for Thanksgiving this year. He talked his Mommy into making the whole spread. First time in years, I get to sit in the livingroom playing Mario Bros with him while someone else cooks :+) First time in years I’m looking forward to the holiday.

14. H3ion says:

Get extra shells for the shotgun so we can go out and get ourselves some turkeys. Or we could just go to Geek Squad.