Quickly Find Nearby Flu Shots With Google Maps

Want to quickly and easily know where you can get a flu shot nearby?

Google has launched a new service that combines flu shot availability information with Google Maps, google.com/flushot. Everything that you love about Google Maps, plus flu shots! Google notes on their blog that, “this project is just beginning and we have not yet received information about flu shot clinics for many locations. In addition, many locations that are shown are currently out of stock. We launched this service now in order to help disseminate information about locations where vaccines are available, and also to make more vaccine providers aware of the project so that they can contribute.”

Always make sure to call the location ahead of time to verify vaccine availability and your eligibility.

Finding flu vaccine information in one easy place [Googleblog] (Thanks to Dirk!)

1. Beef Supreme says:

Why did you put up a map of my office? Are you following me Ben?

2. GitEmSteveDave_IsSlacking says:

I just received a couple of the G1N vaccines the other night at a local speak easy. Price was pretty reasonable, but I did feel a little run down the next morning.

3. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Is it just me? The addresses are correct but all the map pins in my city are 1,000 feet to far to the east.

4. kaceetheconsumer says:

Hah, all the H1N1 ones in my area say “Temporarily out of stock.” No surprises there…

I love how my doctor agrees that I should qualify for an earlier shot since I have no spleen and I’m diabetic, but no one in his entire clinic seems to know how to get me that shot, and nobody else in town that I call knows either. The state agency says to call the doctor, the doctor says to call the state. Fun.

My kid’s pediatrician had some of the nasal stuff but because of my immune problem both my kid and I need the fully killed one.

This has all been run *so* sensibly. Gah.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

@kaceetheconsumer: My county JUST got the H1N1 vaccine in, 10,000 doses for a population of around 300,000, and the clinics have been PACKED. Lines 3 hours line, people lining up four hours before the clinic opens, etc. Worse, the lining up is outdoors. From what I saw, it’s MOSTLY the “preferred” patients lining up, but that means there are families with young children out in the cold and the rain for literally hours. That’s great public health!

We weren’t able to wait in line for ours; it was too cold for the baby to be out that long. So I am still unshotted. I’ll try again later in the week or early next week, hoping the initial frenzy dies down before the supply runs out.

• shepd says:

Don’t worry, it’s stupid everywhere. Even up in Canuckistan.

My wife is 8 1/2 months pregnant. She gets the vaccine, as she should. The rules state that anyone with a child under 6 months should have it to, since they can’t administer it to the child.

So I ask that since the vaccine takes 10 days to take effect, wouldn’t it make sense to give it to me now? It’s not like I can tell the baby not to come, and they must induce labour is she goes over 10 days overdue. Plus, due to gestational diabetes, we’re on pins and needles as to whether the OB is just going to “push the button” early, so to speak.

Nope. They told me that when my wife is in labour I should be lining up at a flu clinic for 10 hours. No exceptions. The nurse I spoke with, and my family doctor both apologized for how stupid that is, but it’s not them that made these rules…

I intend to have a news crew interview me that day. I’m effin’ tired of socialist medicine and how idiotic it is. If you’re on a sports team you get the vaccine first in this country. Only then does it finally go to people that need it.

• kaceetheconsumer says:

@shepd: When I lived in Canada and first had my spleen out, my doctor gave me the pneumococcal vaccine right away and it was free even though I wasn’t over 65, because the spleen thing qualified me for it. After that point I never had troubles.

Granted I lived in the ‘burbs outside Toronto, and now I live in Austin, which is much much smaller. But it’s the Texas department of health that’s constantly saying they don’t have enough, they don’t have enough, they don’t have enough.

As stupid as it sounds for your situation, believe me, pregnancy as a whole is worse in the US. I had lived down here only three months when I met a woman in an OB/GYN waiting room who was also 8.5 mos pregnant, and her much-needed c-section had been cancelled and they told her they didn’t have another spot for three months and to call them back in six weeks. The reason we were talking was because that happened a lot in those OB/GYN waiting rooms where the typical wait was 2 hours past the appointment time because they were all triple-booked.

See, since the HMO couldn’t say no to enrollees but also didn’t have enough doctors, everything was overbooked worse than a discount airline. And the turnover of doctors was huge as a result, but if you liked your doctor and they left the HMO you had no choice to follow them elsewhere because insurance wouldn’t cover anything outside the HMO.

Canadian health care as I had it for 30 years wasn’t perfect by far, but it was SO. MUCH. BETTER. than anything I’ve had in the US.

• shepd says:

Wow, your c-section story is a winner! Yep, just tuck that baby back in there for another month and a half, it’s that easy!

‘course, you no longer get an ob/gyn consult free before you are in labour in Ontario unless you have a pre-existing condition (such as my wife has). Same thing for ultrasounds (again, my wife is lucky enough to be “diseased” enough Canada gives her it for free). The average bootout time for woman in labour who doesn’t have a c-section in Ontario is 7 hours now, partially because the ladies want out, and partially because there’s just not enough beds.

BTW: Getting a family doctor here is now so bad, the waiting list is several years long. You have to go to random urgent care clinics (Yay to several hours wait!) with random doctors who have never heard your name before during that time. And once you have one, if you move, you’ll be driving hours to see them. I know people living here in Kitchener that drive to Toronto to see their family doctor, because they just don’t want to wait 2 or 3 years to get one locally.

Those who do have a family doctor here who are unfortunate enough to have been enrolled in one of these weird family medical plans (Or whatever they are called) get to wait 1 or 2 weeks to see a doctor for anything that isn’t extremely urgent, and aren’t permitted to visit urgent care clinics lest they risk being dumped by their doctor and waiting 2 or 3 years. Lucky for me, I’m grandfathered in and have a decent, not overbooked doctor and can visit the urgent care clinic as I like.

And, due to other grandfathering, I don’t have to wait 2 hours every few years to have my photo taken for a new health card. You can take my old school “permanent” one out of my cold, dead hands!

Most of our healthcare system reminds me of breadlines in the USSR. The H1N1 rollout even has the added advantage of turning people away once they’re out.

If only we could have the same healthcare they get in Europe. We pay enough taxes, we should have it for crying out loud! If the US wants to model after somewhere for public healthcare, they should NOT be looking to Canada.

• kaceetheconsumer says:

@shepd: Then it’s definitely much worse than when I left 9 years ago, because back then I had almost no wait for my family doctor who was also my ob/gyn and was *excellent*.

And it’s strange because I have friends back in Ontario who had plenty of OB/GYN checkups while pregnant and I’ve never heard anything about paying before, and none of them had any unusual conditions. Hrm…that’s very very new to me.

• kaceetheconsumer says:

@shepd: FYI, a friend who lives in Ontario has tried to post a rebuttal, but doesn’t seem to be able to make it show up, so I offered to post it for her and she agreed. Here’s what she said:

The doctor shortage is something I have experienced now in Kawartha Lakes, having been spoiled before in Brampton/Milton. I don’t know if this shortage
            is a direct cause of the issues you are expressing, but otherwise, OB/GYN care is covered completely by OHIP as long as you have a valid health card. It was so in May 2008 when I gave birth, and it was so this past summer when my niece and grandniece were born.

The average “boot out” time for a vaginal birth is 24 hours.
            [www.settlement.org] /
            [www.williamoslerhc.on.ca] A newborn child requires their levels to be monitored over a 24 hour period. Subsequent Biliruben tests are now done at clinics. Bed shortage may be a partial reason, but ultimately, considering the situation now especially, would you prefer your immunity-free newborn to be in a hospital filled with germs and viruses like
            H1N1? Or at home where you can have better control over the spread of such things?

And finally, I waited an hour to have my OHIP card updated with a picture. I believe they have now made changes so that you can access this service through Service Canada kiosks, as opposed to just the limited OHIP offices.

Our health care system is not the magical creature some think it is, but it is definitely not as horrible as you have described. If those are truly your experiences, then you have been treated illegally and should be taking appropriate action.

• Kuchen says:

@kaceetheconsumer: I don’t know how the rest of the county is handling it, but I think my health system is doing a pretty good job. I was able to get it through employee health right away (“You work with pregnant women and newborns? Please come get the H1N1 vaccine!! ASAP!”). Once they did staff that care for high-risk populations, they moved on to all staff, then to high-risk patients. Patients MUST make an appointment, so there aren’t huge lines like at some places.

5. ktstef54 says:

The only problem is that none of the places listed in my area actually have the shots. Not sure where they are getting the info from it may be the places that have signed up to give them,but it will not be of much help to people who are looking for the vaccine.

6. Phil Keeps It Real [Consumerist] says:

“Quickly Find Nearby Flu Shots With Google Maps”…& STEER clear of such places!

7. ktetch says:

Quickly find a flushot location, because we can’t keep scaring you with this pandemic-in-a-bottle for ever!

What a load of bloody bollocks, pardon my british. The Flu obsession is just pathetic. Got to love American healthcare, throwing drugs at something like candy, wasting them on every little sniffle.

I for one will never have a flu shot – just an easy way to make money from the scared.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@ktetch: You know, it’s not a drug, it’s a vaccine. Learn the difference, and maybe while you’re at it learn a little about how vaccines work, because they DO work, and maybe you won’t sound like such an ignorant yobbo.

Someone should hold you people down and vaccinate you so you won’t carry the disease on your unwashed bodies to people who legitimately can’t take the vaccine because of underlying immune system problems. People who might die because you can’t be arsed to know what the hell you’re talking about.

• Xerloq says:

@ktetch: Whoa, partner. Perhaps it’s useful to understand the WHY behind the hysteria.

See, it’s all about the children.

Normally, influenza kills the elderly and infirm. But H1N1 gets people under 25. Now if you tell a mother that there’s a disease that is coming after her baby… it doesn’t take long for the story to spread.

Also, ditto on speedwell’s advice. A vaccine is not a drug.

@speedwell, new and improved: Don’t worry about holding ’em down and vaccinating. Just stock up on shotgun shells for the zombie apocalypse… the anti-vaxers will all be first infected. =)

• GabrielleYDOB says:

@ktetch: I think it’s clear you never had the flu. It’s more than just a sniffle. It’s debilitating and can lead to serious and deadly complications including pneumonia. My guess is that if you ever do catch the flu, you’ll be complaining about all those irresponsible unvaccinated folks who go around spreading the virus without considering other people’s health and well-being.

8. Red Cat Linux says:

Meh – all the places here were out of the standard seasonal vaccine a few weeks ago. When I asked why, every place told me that production or ordering of the seasonal shots had stopped, and they were waiting on the H1N1 version.

When that shows up it’s in very short supply, so only for the at risk population. Still no more regular flu shots.

So even if I just wanted a seasonal flu shot, I can’t get that either here. It doesn’t seem like it was well managed this year.

I got the seasonal vaccine in another state while visiting family. All I had to do was fly halfway around the country just to get a flu shot.

9. Chip Skylark of Space says:

I checked out Twin Cities and downtown Boston and found nothing listed. Are other finding data in this map?

10. DangerMouth says:

Are those map pins little hypodermic needles?

Can nothing on teh internets be served without a wink and a nudge?

11. macxprt says:

Tried several times with firefox and safari. Entering a city and state does nothing. The form where you enter the location freezes up and the map produces nothing.

Anyone else having this problem?

12. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

I think I have hand sanitizer poisoning. Is there a shot for that?

13. hi says:

The H1N1 Vaccine shortage was created to create a panic so people would line up to take the shots. Don’t beleive me? Watch members of the CFR discuss ways they can “make us crazy people” take their shots:

+ Watch video

Don’t know what the CFR is? It’s the Council on Foreign Relations. Still don’t know? Google. Bing. Startpage.

14. HogwartsAlum says:

I already got the regular shot. I don’t think I need the H1N1 one, but I forgot to ask my doctor about it last week.

Will probably have to get the gallbladder yanked so the next time I talk to him, I’ll ask.

15. creativecstasy says:

I’m in one of the high risk groups (under 25) even though I don’t think I’m really at risk any more than my neighbors. My university health center held a few shot clinics over the past month. All of them had appointments, you couldn’t just show up. I made an appointment, waited 5 minutes (4 of which were spent signing papers about how there are risks, yadda yadda yadda) and was done. The worst part was sitting around for 15 minutes AFTER the shot because they wanted to make sure I wouldn’t faint. I was much more interested in getting to work on time.

Oh, and isn’t the government supposed to be paying for H1N1 vaccines? They made me pay a $15 “administration fee.” I’m pretty sure my insurance will reimburse me if I take the time to fill out paperwork, but it’s still annoying to lay out money for something I don’t think I’m supposed to be paying for at all.

All the seasonal flu shots at school were canceled though.

16. anduin1 says:

Glad I’m the only human in the world immune to it. I’m surrounded by H1N1 cases whenever I step foot on my uni yet I stay healthy.

17. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i tried this just now and was rewarded with a very interesting result:
    the only flu shots available within my entire state appear to be at Sun Protection Window Tinting

18. KristinaBeana says:

Saw this for the first time this morning and checked my area. The state had just started taking appointments for targeted groups today, and I was able to make an appointment for my 7 month old son. Thanks Consumerist!