Google Offering Temporary Free WiFi Access At 47 Airports

From now until January 15th, 2010, Google will offer free WiFi access at 47 airports around the country. As part of the promotion, they’ll be collecting donations through Google Checkout for three non-profit organizations and will provide matching funds up to $250,000. But whether you donate or not, there’s a much better chance now that you’ll be able to go online while waiting for your flight. Imagine all the airline tips you can send to us!

“Free WiFi for the Holidays” [Google via IntoMobile]
(Photo: quinn.anya)

Comments

1. Ratty says:

Yeah, seattle! Such a connected city not offering free WiFi always baffled me. If only it stayed there…

I am very grateful that the last time I was stuck in an airport due to inclement weather they had free WiFi. Go Denver! You made the delay a lot more tolerable.

2. trekwars2000 says:

Lots of the airport listed already have free WiFi (like Vegas and Sacramento). I’m curious how this is an actual “improvement”….

• utensil42 says:

@trekwars2000: To be fair, the WiFi in SMF is pretty darn bad at times. So if the Google provided WiFi is good quality, it’ll be a hell of an improvement.

• jmtb02 says:

@utensil42: Are we talking Terminal A or B here? I find that flying Terminal B (pretty much everyone but Southwest) my internet is much, much happier. I think that is due to it being a tiny terminal; you’re less likely to be away from a wifi hotspot. But then again you’re at a loss with the power stations with seem to engulf Terminal A and seem to be non-existent in Terminal B.

• Paladin_11 says:

@trekwars2000: It’s an improvement to the provider. If the city or port authority is responsible for your free wi-fi, Google will be picking up the tab for the duration of this promotion. So you’ll save some tax dollars if nothing else.

3. EarlNowak says:

The New Orleans airport has had free wifi for years.

Airports that charge for wifi (especially hubs- I’m looking at you, Houston) drive me crazy.

4. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

I sent the google link to my world traveling dad and he also wanted me to share that he’s tried this and it works:
    “There is also a free trial code for the inflight wifi on Delta good through the end of the year. I forget what it is but you can find it with a search.”

which is here:
    [www.dealsvista.com]

5. jhuang says:

BWI YES!!! It’s the only airport I spend any large amounts of time at, since I usually have to take SuperShuttle or public transit to get there, and yet there is no WiFi. Until now!

My love for Google just increased twofold. I wish I were flying Virgin America instead of Southwest, though. Too bad I’m a broke college student.

6. UGAdawg says:

This is the on good thing about flying out of Kansas City International, the wi-fi is ALWAYS free. It really makes delays a non-issue. I whip out my laptop and surf away.

7. Bizdady says:

Sweet I have to pickup my daughter later this month from the airport. Usually im stuck waiting for an hour so I’ll at least have some free wifi.

8. boricuachick says:

In case anyone ever has a stop over in Albuquerque (ABQ), the Sunport airport has free wifi throughout the airport. They also provide really nice areas with a counter, chairs and outlets for your laptop in both terminals. It’s nice.

9. Tim says:

Also, Google will be paying for free WiFi on Virgin America flights during that time.

10. AbsoluteIrrelevance says:

Sweet! I stumbled across this promo this morning in Charlotte’s airport. I opened my wifi and against my better judgement, connected to the open wifi signal. Then it sent me through to Google’s page.

Thanks Google, for making my REALLY early morning layover awesome.

• larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

@AbsoluteIrrelevance: CLT has had free WiFi for awhile, although I think it may be underprovisioned, because it’s usually about 50/50 on getting actually connected to the outside world.

11. karan1003 says:

Pittsburgh already has wifi. Wonder what’s going on there.

12. logic meme says:

Discovered this today when I was in Houston Bush International – Score! I will be traveling a lot over the next 2 months so this is perfect timing, thanks Google!

13. parrotuya says:

Google-dom!

14. soloudinhere says:

Why are none of the major California airports on here? Hello, SFO? OAK? the ones right near google headquarters and silicon valley?

At least I get free wifi at Logan for the trip out…I guess I’m stuck giving TMobile my firstborn at SFO on the way out.

• AbsoluteIrrelevance says:

@soloudinhere: SF has free wifi and pay wifi throughout the airport. Free wifi is available in the food area right before the security line in the domestic terminals. (Sit at the table at the sushi place) TMO almost everywhere else.

15. hotdogsunrise says:

Syracuse!!!! (shakes fist) Why do you always have to not get cool things? If it wasn’t for JetBlue, there’d be no point to the airport at all.

16. dlab says:

No love for ATL… booo!

17. Bargaineering.com says:

This is awesome, I had no idea when I walked into BWI that I’d be getting free wireless courtesy of The Google. Very nice of them!

18. andoman says:

How about free wifi all the time at airports but I have to watch a few google ads or something based on my recent searches or some crap. I really dont mind.

19. ZeGoggles says:

@H3ion: Looks like you posted what I was going to post. IAD and DCA never get anything for free. Both have a handful of WiFi hotspots… all for the “low price” of 10 to 15 bucks.

20. wcnghj says:

@pecan 3.14159265: If it’s stolen, you aren’t liable.