6 Easy Ways to Get More Fiber “Many of us hear the word ‘fiber’ and immediately think bulky, coarse, and unpalatable. CR’s sister publication, ShopSmart, suggests these easy, appetizing ways to get your fit in your daily serving (25 to 30 grams) of fiber.” [Consumer Reports Health]

Comments

1. lpranal says:

Yes, I’ll acknowledge i’m pretty weird and this isn’t for most people out there, but i’ll toss in some stuff I eat, from least to most crazy:

Ground Flaxseed- i put it on salads, adds texture I find not unpleasant. Omega 3s, all kinds of minerals and other nutritious stuff.

Eat Whole apple, including core – yes, i know the seeds contain arsenic – but you don’t digest them and there’s such a small amount you’d have to eat bushels a day

Ground up orange peel. Tons of fiber, natural source of vitamin C (for some reason more beneficial / readily absorbed than supplements)

2. dorianh49 says:

A friend of mine swore by Fiber One until I pointed out in the ingredients that it was sweetened with aspartame, at which point he groaned with disgust. Just because something is marketed as “healty” or healthful doesn’t mean it is. Except for Cocoa Pebbles. That crap rocks!

3. Doug Nelson says:

Psyllium capsules. They sell huge bottles at Sams for next to nothing. A few of these per day and you’ll have your fiber in spite of an all-Frito Lay diet.

4. Amy Alkon says:

Ugh — promoting fiber intake as if there’s evidence it’s good for you. Hint: Don’t assume because something is widely thought that it’s based in evidence.

Here:

[donmatesz.blogspot.com]

You might feel surprised to learn that not one experimental study has proven any beneficial effect or human requirement for fiber.

…First, human breast milk contains no fiber, and infants have normal, healthy bowel function when exclusively breast fed – which by the way provides them with a high fat diet. In contrast, if fed high fiber foods, infants can experience colic due to accumulation of gas causing bloating of the intestine.

Second, several primitive groups, such as Inuit and Chukchi, eat or ate fiber-free diets and have or had no signs of illness, such as “constipation,” appendicitis, diverticular disease, or colorectal cancer commonly attributed to so-called fiber deficiency.

In fact, experimental studies (not epidemiological, which establish nothing) show high fiber intake to damage the gut and promote colon cell abnormalities.

5. gerrycomo says:

I’m sure I don’t eat my daily ounce of fiber but I still number 2 every day without fail… Hmmm… Something’s quite wrong with me, I think.

6. Skeetz says:

@whysthsncnsmrst: I find a cup of coffee helps me unload the fiber.

7. dwb says:

@whysthsncnsmrst: Coffee BEANS are high in fiber, but brewed coffee is not likely to have much if any fiber.

8. tsume says:

@whysthsncnsmrst: @Doug Nelson: You != everyone else.

9. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

@subtlefrog: Very good points.
    Let’s go with the “eat real food, instead” option. Natural amounts of fiber, vitamins, and nutrients.

I seriously doubt loading up on OMG FIBERRZZZ is going to help you do anything but sit on the john all day if you’re eating big macs and washing it down with 64oz of coke.

10. nbs2 says:

@Eyebrows McGee (now with more baby!): It stinks, but not like it does after they start eating. Once they move to solids, it makes the breastmilk poo smell like roses.

11. DoubleBaconVeggieBurger says:

@Amy Alkon: Peer review not perfect, but it is the most reliable method of verifying the work of researchers. You act like the referees are reading a study of fiber consumption and they go, “oh yeah, I agree that fiber is good for you. Check plus!” when actually they review the methods used to get that result. Peer review is certainly better than the alternative, which seems to be, unquestioning belief in one guy that reads a lot.