Pizza Hut Coupons Let You Choose To Be An Idiot If You Want

While digging around on the Pizza Hut website’s deals section, Jacob found this murderers’ row of pizza coupons, which lets you get a large one-topping pizza for $9.99, $10.99 or $11.99 — your choice! He writes:

The first time I saw this I thought they might be one use each but I’ve since used the $9.99 one several times. I have no idea what they’re thinking with this.

Pizza Hut is all about giving people options. Sometimes you feel as though you’re getting too good a deal on pizza, in which case you shouldn’t be forced to pay less than $10 pre-tax for your dinner.

Comments

1. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I hear different franchises get to pick which coupon codes they will honor. Apparently there is a check box on the form for “All of the above.”

2. MightyDwarf56 says:

I like Dominos way of doing promos, every time you buy something you earn points. You can then redeem them for cheap items such as bread, of save them and get a medium pizza. Of course I think is only for online customers.

• Fett101 says:

@MightyDwarf56: Papa Johns is doing something similar for their 25th anniversary. Sadly, it’s only until February 28th and you only have the option of redeeming 25 points for a free large three topping pizza.

• Radi0logy says:

@MightyDwarf56: In Soviet Domino’s, point codes buy you!

• webweazel says:

@MightyDwarf56: We love the 2X Tuesday deal, and order it almost every week. We like to MEDIUMS, as they are just the right size, but they are only listed on the onsite coupons as LARGE. Mediums are not an option there. I have to order the mediums, then apply the 2TT coupon code to get the deal. I contacted Domino’s HQ about it, they replied and said they would look into it, but it is still exactly the same as before. No medium deal listed.
      Not everybody wants LARGES! Hello?

3. Anne Boleyn says:

Please use .PNG for screenshots with text.

Every time you use a .JPG, the compression fragmentation kills a kitten.

4. Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

Hey, my idiocy is important to me!

5. dark_inchworm says:

As a proud employee of Pizza Hut, I have something I wish to contribute to the discussion:

lol

6. bloggerX says:

The “hut” around my way does a horrible job of heating up pizzas, they always taste like as if they’ve been reheated…

• CentralServices says:

@bloggerX: Pizza Hut is just horrible period. They slowly became worse and worse after PepsiCo bought the company. It’s sad when frozen pizza is starting to surpass the major “pizza” chains in quality.

7. Mr.Gawn says:

often times.. Pizza Hut is a huge rip-off..

their iphone app is GARBAGE!!!!

but my main beef is…………
    We ordered 3 medium pizzas over the phone… Sorta specialty Pizzas, with at least 2 toppings..

Price came out to 50 bucks…..

WELL I THOUGHT THAT WAS ABSURD!!!!, i just ordered 2 large pizza’s for 20…
    so we went online, used coupons, 3 Large Specialty Pizza’s…. 35 bucks…

SO, we were slightly confused. We called them back like “why were we charged so much”. Apparently if you order over the phone, its more expensive, and Online gives you an automatic discount…. PLUS we used the online coupons… Whereas over the phone, they dont mention deals, and charge you for full price. What ripoffs.. Imagine how many people call in to still order Pizza.

good pizza tho

8. tripnman says:

Am I the only one that negotiates pizza pricing? When we order from the local Round Table (I can’t stand the Hut, still have a brain blockage from the Hepatitis Hut issues in the early 90′s), I always let them total it up then I tell them that I have the “$X dollars” off coupon. They never ask for it when they deliver, and I have never had them tell me no. Sometimes I even throw in free sodas or bread sticks.

It’s the little things that keep me entertained.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@tripnman: That’s not negotiation, that’s theft.

• tripnman says:

@pecan 3.14159265: Theft implies that the property (pizza) was taken without the owner’s permission. If you want to get technical about it, it may be considered larceny if you throw a fraud topping in. However, it is a business transaction and the store has the ability to decline my offer. They don’t, so it’s negotiation.

If someone negotiates a lower sale price on a car, is it grand theft auto?

• henrygates says:

@tripnman: I don’t think lying and inventing fraudulent coupons can be called negotiation.

• tripnman says:

@henrygates: Wow, the interwebz are full of truth and honesty today. I feel dirty now.

I’ve never tested this to see if they’d take a $20 off coupon, the values I use are always identical to the ones that will be stuck to the top of the box when they deliver – So yes, I lie about having the coupon but I’m not creating discounts that aren’t readily available. They’ve never questioned it, I figure the person taking the order knows the proper codes to put in the register and it’s a done deal.

It’s surprising how often this works. While shopping two weeks ago for a pair of boots that would be one time use only (Halloween costume), I noticed while waiting in line that everyone but me had a 50% off everything in the store coupon. When I got to the register the cashier asked if I had one and I said “No, but can we pretend I do so I don’t feel left out?” She honored the discount. I fail to see the harm there.

9. Blueskylaw says:

This reminds me of airline pricing, except that you can’t see the other prices being offered.

10. almightytora says:

I saw one similar offer for Kellogg’s cereal in Sunday’s newspaper. It was a set of three coupons.

Left coupon: $1 off ONE cereal
    Right coupon: $1 off TWO cereals
    Center coupon: $1 off THREE cereals

Hmmm… Seems like a no brainer to me.

• Syncop8d1 says:

@almightytora: I noticed that too but I think the difference is in the types of cereal the coupons are good for. It seems that the $1 off one box is for the healthier Kellogg’s options, then the $1 off three boxes includes Raisin Bran. Yet the $1 off two boxes includes Froot Loops. Unless, those are just the pictures they used and you could use the coupon for any cereal. Actually, at the Kroger where I shop, you probably could use the coupon for any Kellogg’s cereal because their coupon policy is quite liberal.

11. RvLeshrac says:

As someone who eats at a lot of different pizza places, I can explain this: Each of those coupons has a different expiration date. One you can’t see when you order online, since, of course, it won’t show you an “expired” offer.

The difference between Pizza Hut, Dominos, and Papa John’s is that Dominos and Papa John’s only have a handful of chain-wide and district-wide offers, while the Pizza Hut online ordering system shows you *every* coupon – national, local, and single-location.

This is like going to McDonald’s and seeing the prices for NYC, LA, Atlanta, Seattle, and Boise all on the same board.

• Baka-no-Kami says:

@RvLeshrac: Yep. I’ve been using Dominos a lot more since I moved to a house that doesn’t have a Pizza Hut in delivery range. Most of the time I have to go searching for coupon codes to get a good deal as they’re almost never listed on the site. Half the ones I tried aren’t honored at my local branch.

A lot of times I’ll also see coupons like the ones above. The same pizza but different prices, however one will be for delivery, and the other will be carry out only.

• Englishee Teacher says:

@RvLeshrac: As a 4 year veteran of Pizza Hut, I can tell you exactly what happened here. They took the regular coupons that they print and put on the box and put them onto the website. The box coupons will often have this because once you use the paper 9.99 coupon, you’ll move on and use the 10.99 coupon next, then the 11.99 coupon.

They’re clearly just not tech geniuses if they haven’t figured out that their online system doesn’t *use up* the online coupon, forcing them to use the next best offer next time.

12. Razor512 says:

sometimes ads like this are a play on psychology. humans like to compare items

for example if a company is selling 2 items product A and product B, if the 2 products are very different and cant really be compared then customers are less likely to pick any of them because there isn’t really anything to compare it to

but suppose produce B is more profitable to the company

in order to increase the sale of product B, the company will create product C which is just like product B for a little worst

so this causes people to think this

I don’t know how product A compares to product B but I know that product B is better than produce C and thus I will go with product B

People are more likely to choose a item that is comparable or better than another over 2 unrelated items

in many cases just making up a comparison is enough to increase sales, for example when home shopping networks sell a Nintendo wii for at a price thats been inflated like over $180, they make up a comparison by listing “original price” (even though that price doesn’t exist and the company just pulled a random number out of their ass, that comparison is enough to trick ignorant into buying the overpriced item; thinking it was a good deal.

everywhere in advertising you will see comparisons, many of which are made up because humans like to compare.

13. Xeos says:

Choose the more expensive coupon? You just paid the stupid tax!

14. Digitizer says:

My arteries are now officially contracting for 1 Large multiple-topping pizza from Pizza Hut.

15. zombie_batch says:

Coupon code 430 – Large Pizza, at least 3 toppings, $9.99.

At some point in the past I did a search for pizza hut coupons and got this site- [www.retailmenot.com]

Very useful.

16. haimtime says:

I see it this way. You use the coupon today for 9.99. Tomorrow you get hungry, and need to use another coupon (10.99). The following day…

17. tsdguy says:

Obviously a typo as everyone knows you can’t get pizza at a Pizza Hut. Perhaps we need a new term for the greasy, fake dough and cheese pseudo-pizza one gets there.

18. MooseOfReason says:

Here’s what it shows on my deals page:
    [img196.imageshack.us]

They seem different there. Maybe the reader’s was an anomaly.

19. dp05 says:

@pecan 3.14159265: Blasphemy! I refuse to believe there isn’t a good leftover pizza!

20. SabreDC says:

@pecan 3.14159265: A local pizza place sends out monthly coupons to nearby residents for a $7.99 large pizza with 2 toppings (regular price $10.99 without the toppings plus some additional cost per topping). But they don’t actually take the coupons, it’s on the honor system that you’ll discard the coupon after using it.

21. pecan 3.14159265 says:

@coren: The cheapest pizza, if you can find it, is still Little Caesars. $5 for a 14 inch Hot N’Ready pizza.

22. Kuchen says:

@pecan 3.14159265: And you get what you pay for with Little Caesar’s.

23. FatLynn says:

@Snarkophagus: ha, upper “crust”.

24. psm321 says:

@Kuchen: You know, people say that, but Little Caesar’s is one of my favorite pizzas. If it was $10 I would still prefer it over Pizza Hut, Domino’s, Papa John’s, etc.

25. katia802 says:

@GitEmSteveDave_OverSleptThisMorn: does that bring the rest of us female types one step closer to winning that lab coat in divorce court?

26. phate says:

@GitEmSteveDave_OverSleptThisMorn: Is a pepppercini the pepperoni version of an appletini?

27. h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes says:

@pb5000: This. Also, I wish they’d stop robocalling me with SPECIAL DEALS! once a month or so. I usually end up scrambling to get the phone and stubbing a toe, tripping on something, etc. and then get pissed because it’s the stupid pizza place.

28. coren says:

@SabreDC: Yeah I think that the ones near where I live phased out over ten years ago. Then I started a job 30 miles north, found it, and within a fwe months they were back in town. Mmmmm good

29. Fett101 says:

@h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes: Listen to the very end. They provide a number you can call to remove yourself from the list.

30. stranger than fiction says:

@lannister80: I can get Domino’s but not Papa or the Hut (which has not one, but TWO locations nearby that point the finger at each other when we call… redlining lives!). But the joke’s on them â€” I tried the neighborhood mom-and-pop joint that isn’t afraid to deliver, and whatcha know, their pizza is better! And they send out coupons in every valpak/clipper/etc. so it’s not like we miss out on deals either. Plus they don’t have the resources to do robocalls, and my unpublished phone number doesn’t get into some national database. Win-win-win!