Lack Of Grocery Shrink Rayage Is Peanut Butter Selling Point

Matt spotted this jar of Jif peanut butter that proudly boasts its eluded the all-seeing scope of the grocery shrink ray and still packs 18 ounces of goodness within its plastic confines.

Since the shrink ray is so prevalent, marketers need to generate an eye-catching symbol that signifies the product hasn’t been downsized, still giving customers the same value. Has anyone seen similar products bragging about their shrink ray avoidance?

Comments

1. Jupichan says:

I’ve seen adverts for Reynold’s Wrap foil that brag about how they give you a “whole person’s” length of foil for free. Admittedly, I’ve not paid attention to their products for quite some time, as I’m not in charge of purchasing such commodities in my house. But I can’t help but wonder if they made their rolls smaller some months ago and just decided to give it back, and call it a present to the consumer.

2. Elvisisdead says:

Maybe we can market a line of bumper stickers that says “I don’t abuse illegal substances” and “Children fed 3x per day”. It really is sad that this is now a point of pride.

3. lockdog says:

I refuse to buy ice cream in anything less than a true half gallon. Fortunately for me, that means I have no choice but to buy ultra-delicious Blue Bell.

• Mapmaker says:

@lockdog: Safeway’s Select house-brand of ice cream had (and may still – I’ll look next time I’m there) stickers on the freezer case noting that they were still 1.75 quarts when everyone else made the switch down to 1.5. They still are, IIRC, which is nice. It’s not a true half-gallon, but it’s still more ice cream. NOM

• nybiker says:

@lockdog: I am with you, but I reduced to having to buy Ben & Jerry’s pints as I don’t know of where to get that Blue Bell ice cream here in NYC.

Mind you, I am not complaining about having to buy B & J’s.

4. Smashville says:

Peter Pan Honey Roast FTW

5. Segador says:

Also! We’re still made with up to 60% peanut material!

6. thesadtomato says:

You know what? Good for them!

I much prefer a straight up price increase on a brand, rather than realize I’m getting less and think a lot of people do, too. It’s pathetic that that’s a selling point, but there you have it.

7. PsiCop says:

It is sad that this is a point of pride, but given the prevalence of the “shrink ray,” they have every reason to do it.

FWIW I recall some yogurt commercials from some years back bragging how their containers were a full 8 oz (IIRC) while the competition had reduced to 6 oz (again, IIRC).

And here’s my proposed “icon” for this. Not that it’s all that great, but it’s something, and I whipped it up in a couple minutes:

• DerangedRoleModel says:

@PsiCop: It was Columbo that did that. And guess what…they’re down to 6 oz.

• PsiCop says:

@DerangedRoleModel: Thanks, I don’t eat yogurt myself (dairy intolerance) so I don’t pay too much attention to details like that. I just remember it at the time for the same reason this story is noteworthy … the message that “We didn’t shrink!” is not very common.

8. nnj says:

This rings a bell. I believe some boxes of Ronzoni pasta went from 16oz. to 12oz. with no price change.

9. Cybrczch says:

The last few times I bought Kraft salad dressings, they had a “Still 16 oz” label on them. Since they had just re-designed the bottles, I think this was there way of saying “we didn’t do a shrink ray on them, just a redesign”

10. VOIDMunashii says:

It’s better than Jif’s original proposal, “Ceritified H1N1 Free!”

11. greenland says:

So…this packaging totally worked on me. Peanut butter brands in my local store are much the same price at this ounce size, so it essentially came down to Jif calling out Skippy for their bullshit portion downsizing. I would usually buy Skippy, but I’ve switched.

12. SpaceToast says:

*shopping list*

-Peanut butter (Jif)

13. shepd says:

Choosy webmaster choose jif.

That is all.

14. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Meh, they used to be 24oz. So they have shrunk.

Its the same gimmick, instead of saying “NEW LOOK! NOW 12oz!” making you think they’ve made it larger (you’d think they wouldn’t advertise the other way) when it used to be 16oz. or something.

15. jarhead906 says:

JIF = God Tier peanut butter

16. riroon says:

We are two of a kind here. Full half gallons of BlueBell for me (bonus points for their sugar-free stuff that tastes like teh legit stuff).

Also, yes I always buy jif now for their refusal to succumb to the ‘industry-standard’ packaging-size shrink.

17. eh_remraf says:

I still like my homemade peanut butter better. Made in the Magic Bullet of course.

18. justagigilo85 says:

Blue Bunny ice cream still advertises, “LOOK 1.75QT” Though it hasn’t shrunk, it’s damn near $7. And it tastes like crap. I’ll pass.

And you guys got it ALL WRONG. Skippy Natural is where it’s at.

I’m down to four jars left… I need a sale, damnit. I have a barrage of 75 cent coupons that need to be used.

19. ludwigk says:

TJ’s peanutbutter FTW. It tastes great, and its so cheap I’m suspicious of it. But, then again, I’m so cheap that I keep buying it.

• jparadise says:

@ludwigk:

Hey, I was in TJs the other day, and is it just me or have they stopped carrying all branded products except some candy bars? No more Annies, it’s all house-brand?

20. Gravitational Eddy says:

“Nobody better be dissin’ my peanut butter yall! Ima fixin to go up yo head. Fo real.”

That pretty much sums up the response from the man on the street around here.
    JIF has been a locally produced item for many, many years.
    I can’t tell you how good it smells at 7AM in the morning and the roasters over on Winchester Rd have been cooking all night.
    Mmmmmmmmmmm peanuts.

21. Gracegottcha says:

JIFF – the best peanut butter around. I’ve eaten it all my life, and look where it’s gotten me!

22. Ratty says:

I’ll stick with my cheap Whole Foods peanut butter that’s just peanuts and salt. That’s it. Jif is only Ok when I want really fakey tasting peanut butter, and i can never finish the whole jar.

23. pecan 3.14159265 says:

@PsiCop: It was indeed salmonella.

24. theblackdog says:

@JPropaganda: I used to be, until I read the ingredients and realized they’re still using hydrogenated oils :-/

25. Moosehawk says:

@JPropaganda: Ew I can’t eat Skippy. It leaves a bad aftertaste and the texture isn’t very pleasant. I love my JIF. I still go through an 18oz jar about every 3 weeks myself.

26. SatisfriedCrustomer says:

@nybiker: The 6-ounce brands are now 5.3 ounces, by the way. But ShopRite, Ah, Blessed ShopRite brand yogurt, still comes in last century’s 8-ounce size and I have to support that. It’s all I will buy.

27. theblackdog says:

@Smashville_now with Monster Energy: That salmonella peanut butter was fucking delicious.

28. Jupichan says:

@Blueskylaw:

Yeah, I failed to see how five feet was a whole person. Most people I know are above 5’3″. Hell, I’m like 5’9″.

Give me six feet in addition to the standard roll, and I’ll stop yelling at the TV when I see that advert.

29. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

@Daveinva: in fact, manufacturers specifically recommend NOT putting foil in the microwave. but saran wrap is usually ok

30. justagigilo85 says:

@catastrophegirl: I still go with skippy. It’s a bit sweeter than the jif.

31. rockasocky says:

@Jupichan: As a five foot tall whole person, I object to your comment. Prepare to taste my tiny fists of fury!

32. Geblah187 says:

@nybiker: You’ve got to come a ways down south, it’s made in Texas and not really distributed well up north at all.

+1 for delicious blue bell :)

33. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

@justagigilo85: ah, when i could still eat peanut butter i went for the smucker’s because it wasn’t as sweet. but that’s why there are so many different brands – tastes differ

34. Alessar says:

@Moosehawk: I’ve recently discovered Crema. Ingredients: Peanuts. Seriously, they just take peanuts and pulverize them until they’re little more than peanut-molecules. It’s so good, and so not-laden-with-salt.

Speaking of shrink ray, I bought some generic disposable/reusable food storage containers and the package now has 4 not 5. And the “val-u” brand I got is so cheaply made the lids fit poorly and there’s no 8 oz lines on the side of the container. That’s $1.69 I won’t be wasting again.

35. Jupichan says:

@rockasocky:

Mwahaha! I shall merely push my hand against your forehead!