Walmart Refunds For Dead Frog Found In Salad

“Oh my God, I see eyes!” screamed Carla Hill after opening a bag of greens from Walmart.

Staring back up from her preparations for Sunday dinner was a whole dead frog, an unwelcome interloper who arrived via a bag of Glory Mustard Greens. “I hate frogs,” said Carla.

Walmart said they are going to work with the manufacturer and refund the customer’s money.

Check out the video on Digital Journal.

Comments

1. MostlyHarmless says:

But was the frog subtly hidden inside the package?

And thank God it was a bag of Glory Mustard Greens. I know some frogs that get really sick when they get meat slipped in.

2. AustinTXProgrammer says:

A frog in with fresh produce doesn’t surprise me, refund, and move on.

• Starfury says:

@AustinTXProgrammer:

I worked at a camp many years ago. We’d get cases of iceberg lettuce and sometimes they’d have live frogs. We’d take them to the creek and set them free.

Didn’t think anything of it about serving the lettuce either; we’d wash it.

3. Omali says:

It’s not that easy being green.
    Sometimes you end up in someone’s Caesar Salad…

4. Red Cat Linux says:

Was I the only one who read “Gory Mustard Greens”?

5. Gracegottcha says:

Once my mother served a salad with a snail prominently visible. She’s legally blind and couldn’t see it. We each got up from the table, one by one, and went to our various favorite fast food joints. ;)

6. mavrick67 says:

Great, now my daughters have another excuse not to eat their vegtables,
    “A frog might be in there!!!”

7. Liam Kinkaid says:

Yikes, that lady almost got a frog in her throat.

8. lifestar says:

Hmm, wonder if it was a bag of organic greens. I had a salad in Honolulu that had a medium sized beetle in it. I actually put it in my mouth and then felt something ‘hard’. Spit it out and saw a live beetle on its back. Yeah, organic foods are great, but sometimes things like that bite you back hard.

9. henrygates says:

This is what happens when you’re so disconnected from your food source! There are far worse things in her ground beef, but I guess it’s okay if you can’t see it.

10. maddypilar says:

A co-worker once found a live frog in her salad from the deli across the street. A different co-worker kept the frog as a pet for months (feeding it live flies she got at a pet store) until it died. We counted it as a positive sign that the greens were not treated with chemicals.

11. Yurei says:

Quoted for awesomeness and slight relevance:

Praline: Am I right in thinking there’s a real frog in here?

Milton: Yes. A little one.

Praline: What sort of frog?

Milton: A dead frog.

Praline: Is it cooked?

Milton: No.

Praline: What, a raw frog?

Milton: We use only the finest baby frogs, dew picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope and lovingly frosted with glucose.

Praline: That’s as maybe, it’s still a frog.

Milton: What else?

Praline: Well don’t you even take the bones out?

Milton: If we took the bones out it wouldn’t be crunchy would it?

Praline: Superintendent Parrot ate one of those.

Parrot: Excuse me a moment. (exits hurriedly)

Milton: It says ‘crunchy frog’ quite clearly.

Praline: Well, the superintendent thought it was an almond whirl. People won’t expect there to be a frog in there. They’re bound to think it’s some form of mock frog.

Milton: (insulted) Mock frog? We use no artificial preservatives or additives of any kind!

Praline: Nevertheless, I must warn you that in future you should delete the words ‘crunchy frog’, and replace them with the legend ‘crunchy raw unboned real dead frog’, if you want to avoid prosecution.

12. 2 replies says:

@ Carla Hill: “Carla plans on getting her salad from a different source in the future. “The next greens I eat will be growing in my garden outside,” she told UPI.”

Carla,
    I don’t think the SOURCE of your salad is the problem.
    When food is grown in the wild, you can get all sorts of critters in your salad no matter where you get it. Carla, your problem is that you don’t WASH your food.
    Bagged greens != fully prepared food.
    WASH YOUR VEGGIES.

… you also shop at WalMart, so eating a dead frog should be a step UP for you. :-p

• Liam Kinkaid says:

@2 replies by: Awesome.

• GadgetsAlwaysFit says:

@2 replies by:A recent set of tests confirmed that washing pre-washed salads actually introduces bacteria that wouldn’t have otherwise been there. The real problem is that e-coli is grown into the product if the soil is contaminated like the outbreak that was last year (I think it was last year). People were told to not eat it – period. Washing wouldn’t resolve the issue.

13. michigan2cv says:

LOL to all of you.

I feel sorry for the frog if you put him in a salad spinner, but I guess it’s a free carnival ride.

14. Awjvail says:

Shit happens.

I work making salads at a local supermarket (for the time being) and we get salads returned every so often with bees, flies, and other fun bugs. We use pre-washed Dole lettuce.

Nature of the beast.

15. johnfrombrooklyn says:

That reminds me. What’s green and smells like Miss Piggy?

16. do-it-myself says:

I guess I’m 13 years too late in reporting the hair I nearly choked on when I was a kid. It was in my cereal while I was watching Saturday morning cartoons. It was in my Malt-O-Meal Golden Puffs [www.malt-o-meal.com]

But reflecting on it, I guess it wasn’t as bad as this: [www.nbcaugusta.com]

Luckily for me, I like to rotate my cereals because I can’t stand the same flavor for more than a month.

17. glevkoff says:

I know I’m going to get in all manner of trouble for saying this, but that woman’s facial expression just screams ‘Drama Queen realizes she’s just hit the lawsuit lottery on this one’.

18. katstermonster says:

@pecan 3.14159265: Subtlefrog was alive and well this morning on Twitter, I think she’s alive and well…unless those nasty high schoolers killed her and put her in this bag of salad!!!!

19. Rachacha says:

@Kimaroo – Fortified with Kittydus Purrularis: Frogs, snails, snakes and other criters too.

The question that I have to ask is 1) why did the local news think that this was newsworthy, and 2) why did CNN think it was newsworthy.

A severed finger in my salad worthy of making the news
    A frog found in a can of soda – worthy of making the news (unless it is frog flavored soda).
    A frog found in an organic product, while it may be gross, not worthy of making the news. Issue a refund, and perhaps some product coupons and move on.

20. The Porkchop Express says:

@Kimaroo – Fortified with Kittydus Purrularis: look up “monkey frogs” they don’t jump as much. they crawl most of the time.

You may find that jumping is less creepy.

21. Mr.DuckSauce says:

@pecan 3.14159265: [taricorp.net]

Do not look directly in the eyes of the ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD………….

22. palland0 says:

@The Porkchop Express: Funny I thought the exact same thing…

[animal.discovery.com]

23. Rachacha says:

@MostlyHarmless: The last time that I watched CNN was during the start of the Iraq war when they had the ride-along reporters. I guess I am not missing much!

24. Yurei says:

@katia802: I admit I had to go google it for the exact script because I could only remember choice bits. :P

25. korybing says:

@Rachacha: Well yeah, but the news piece was presented more as a “Haha, look at this weird thing” and not “OH MY GOD WHAT IS WALMART TRYING TO SELL US WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE”. So even though the family alerted the news to it, they weren’t claiming that Walmart should be held 100% responsible for a frog that accidentally took a ride on the lettuce harvester.

26. Burning pakalolo not even noticing the weather says:

@floraposte: i see what you did there!

27. subtlefrog says:

@MostlyHarmless: Croak!!!

28. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

@subtlefrog: Ribbit.

29. MostlyHarmless says:

@subtlefrog: I, for some reason, laughed inappropriately loudly at that comment.